The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    So I got myself a shiny new lumia 900 a couple of months ago. I've decided to give my dad my old Omnia7 and have just purchased a lumia 710 as a gift for my mum.

Both are now in their 60's, my dad loves his laptop but really just wanted "a phone that works" he currently has some non-descript nokia feature phone.

My mum likes checking on facebook odd bit of internet surfing but rarely gets a look in with my dad on the laptop, so thought this could be ideal. She's currently using a feature phone (Samsung Jet I believe). Whilst it has the odd baked in app, I never recommended using them to her as the thing is pretty clunky, slow & has that lovely resistive screen. She suffers from athritus in her hands so hopefully the zippy experience on the lumia will help.

Thought it might be a bit of interest to document how they get on.

Both phones are on Orange, the lumia purchased from carphone warehouse at 119 which I thought was an offer not to be missed. They'll be sticking with pay as you go, probably wont be buying any apps, but they have wifi at home so will be sticking to using that to avoid data costs.

Initial Reaction
    --------------
    Whilst they haven't got them yet (awaiting for some screen protectors to arrive, and collection of the lumia), will jot down a few bits firsthand.

Dad: My dad doesn't think he'll be using it much. He uses his laptop for most things, but its slow takes a good while to load up - and I explained a lot of what he wants to do he can do from a windows phone (facebook, music, youtube, sport, web surfing etc) he doesn't text much at the moment. Main interest seems to be with the camera - his current phone currently has a 1 megapixel cam, so whilst not high-end the omnia will be quite a jump.

Mum: My mum again is interested in the camera, whilst she has a facebook account she rarely uses it and checks for photos and updates whilst my dad is logged on the laptop. Once setup the lumia should give her chance to check these things whenever she wants. She's keen on arts & crafts, so will see if I can find any apps she might enjoy around that too.

Initial Setup
    ------------
    Whilst my dad currently has an email address with his ISP (talktalk) he's likely to be changing provider soon. Ive suggested numerous times that he needs to switch to a decent webmail provider. Both so access isn't cut if he switches provider, and also so he can also backup his data. Whilst he hasnt taken much notice (he's not too good with change) I thought this would be an ideal time to force it upon him ;)

Outlook really is a great option for a start, will be interesting to see how much of it they use.

I've set them both up a new outlook account ready to be linked to the devices, and the omnia has been wiped so they both get a fresh "out of the box" experience.

I've typed up the details they need for the accounts, and will be going through setup with them at some point this week. Will update on how this goes.
    Last edited by sHAYM4N; 09-12-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
    Gergolos and hellomiggy like this.
    09-12-2012 05:12 AM
    So I got myself a shiny new lumia 900 a couple of months ago. I've decided to give my dad my old Omnia7 and have just purchased a lumia 710 as a gift for my mum.

Both are now in their 60's, my dad loves his laptop but really just wanted "a phone that works" he currently has some non-descript nokia feature phone.

My mum likes checking on facebook odd bit of internet surfing but rarely gets a look in with my dad on the laptop, so thought this could be ideal. She's currently using a feature phone (Samsung Jet I believe). Whilst it has the odd baked in app, I never recommended using them to her as the thing is pretty clunky, slow & has that lovely resistive screen. She suffers from athritus in her hands so hopefully the zippy experience on the lumia will help.

Thought it might be a bit of interest to document how they get on.

Both phones are on Orange, the lumia purchased from carphone warehouse at 119 which I thought was an offer not to be missed. They'll be sticking with pay as you go, probably wont be buying any apps, but they have wifi at home so will be sticking to using that to avoid data costs.

Initial Reaction
    --------------
    Whilst they haven't got them yet (awaiting for some screen protectors to arrive, and collection of the lumia), will jot down a few bits firsthand.

Dad: My dad doesn't think he'll be using it much. He uses his laptop for most things, but its slow takes a good while to load up - and I explained a lot of what he wants to do he can do from a windows phone (facebook, music, youtube, sport, web surfing etc) he doesn't text much at the moment. Main interest seems to be with the camera - his current phone currently has a 1 megapixel cam, so whilst not high-end the omnia will be quite a jump.

Mum: My mum again is interested in the camera, whilst she has a facebook account she rarely uses it and checks for photos and updates whilst my dad is logged on the laptop. Once setup the lumia should give her chance to check these things whenever she wants. She's keen on arts & crafts, so will see if I can find any apps she might enjoy around that too.

Initial Setup
    ------------
    Whilst my dad currently has an email address with his ISP (talktalk) he's likely to be changing provider soon. Ive suggested numerous times that he needs to switch to a decent webmail provider. Both so access isn't cut if he switches provider, and also so he can also backup his data. Whilst he hasnt taken much notice (he's not too good with change) I thought this would be an ideal time to force it upon him ;)

Outlook really is a great option for a start, will be interesting to see how much of it they use.

I've set them both up a new outlook account ready to be linked to the devices, and the omnia has been wiped so they both get a fresh "out of the box" experience.

I've typed up the details they need for the accounts, and will be going through setup with them at some point this week. Will update on how this goes.
    They've got the phones.

I spent a good few hours with them both before the weekend going through initial setup showing them the camera, people hub, marketplace, messaging and settings. It was not as easy as I expected.

Both seem happy with the phones, but a little daunted by everything it can do. I suppose that's to be expected but I feel had this been an android phone they would have asked politely for a return.

Main stumbling block was the keyboard, my mum still has the habit of using the edge of her nails to type a message, and there were a fair few misclicks where the screen would detect the edge of her fingers/thumb.

Also understanding the difference between tapping items and holding was a bit of an issue - sure this will come with practice, but many a time a tap on the back button would be too long and the multitasking pane would then frighten them to death. Damn those capacative buttons!

The voice to text function was a major reveal for them and they loved that, also along with Bing Music for song recognition. Maps and Local Scout was a big pleaser too.

Was unable to link up my mums facebook account atm as we're awaiting to find out what her password was but hopefully that should make it a little more useful and interesting.

I left out some of the things that might confuse them more such as copy/paste and text selection, but they want a bit of a refreshser when I next see them so that should help somewhat.

Was surprised the keyboard was such a problem tbh, and its a shame that there isnt a big button t9 option that could ease the burden for them. Maybe its just a case of getting used to it.

Dropped on Metrotube and Tunein radio for my dad, he was really impressed what he could do from there alone, so despite the odd problem I think they'll stick it out to learn more (which is an achievement in itself!)

Rearranging & removing tiles was also a bit of a long process. About to drop some demo video links for them so maybe that will help flatten the learning curve some more.
    09-17-2012 06:53 AM
    Pretty cool. I look forward to updates.
    09-17-2012 07:36 AM