What's your next phone?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
After what seems like days of research, Im still 99% for the Nokia 920, my only doubts come from the lack of SD and the size as Id like something a little thinner and less bulky.
The problem is that Im unwilling to give up on the additional nokia software, as I really like the look of it, drive/city lens etc as the demos blew me away..
Im going to buy sim free and then when my contract ends in June, hopefully someone will have ripped the extra software and we will be able to install it on other phones. I know that is meant to be difficult with the encrypted bootloader, but the guys at XDA are very talented, so we will see...

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a tough call right now one which device to buy we have not seen HTC as of yet so by mid week we should know what they will be placing on the table and where are all the devices going.I'm on T-MO and staying there with this great family plan, I also have a buss. account witch can not be beat, so the best high end device that hits T-MO will get a long look from me. the L820 screen res and no gorilla glass killed it for me. for the HD7 replacement though the L710 maybe.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Another windows phone with expandable memory unless google pulls something out of their *** that i actually see myself using in daily life.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Retro_uk

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Undecided. The deal breaker for me at the moment is lack of font size changes in messaging. It's killing my use of my phone at the moment. I do like my Lumia, but android may be a better option for me as I don't like having to stick reading glasses on when I'm out and about and my phone beeps.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought the font, well at least for the messaging is a good size. I going it to be more clear than my previous android phone. And what do you mean beeps?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's a little chart that I did up that might help some out. There seems to be alot of talk about how big the latest phones are, and of course a frame of reference always helps. Here are the 920 and the 8X compared against the 900 for dimensions. It might surprise you.

227905_10151206625000874_1387240833_n.jpg

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Eventually, I will need/want a black W8 device that has 64GB of memory (built-in or expandability) and a replaceable battery. I also want it to have a screen at least as nice as the super AMOLED on my original WP Focus AND for the device to be no bigger or heavier than that gem.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm torn between the Nokia 920 and the Samsung ATIV s at the moment. There are strong attractors to both. I like the lightness of the Samsung as well as having expandable memory with the bigger screen; but, I also like the integration of location services on Nokia and the fact that they seem to be all in on WP8.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm going for the Lumia 920 for sure (red), but I'm equally excited about the HTC offerings as well as the Samsung ATIV as viable competitors to pretty much every smartphone available.

My reason for choosing the Lumia over the HTC 8X is the definitively the superior display and camera (the treatment I received at the Lumia launch event and being jaded by HTC's support for their devices (aka lack there of) doesn't hurt).

That said, I'm pro-Windows Phone regardless of the handset maker, and I will be promoting whichever devices I can convince my family, friends, and coworkers into using to suit their preferences.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Undecided. The deal breaker for me at the moment is lack of font size changes in messaging. It's killing my use of my phone at the moment. I do like my Lumia, but android may be a better option for me as I don't like having to stick reading glasses on when I'm out and about and my phone beeps.

This has been addressed in WP8. The SDK was made partly public.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I, unfortunately, am on the Sprint network so my next phone will either be the Galaxy S3 but I'm hoping to be able to hold out for a few more weeks and get the Note2. My Arrive is just not working well with the tower updating they apparently are doing around my area. Hopefully, in the next couple of years, Sprint will come back to Windows and have some decent devices out there.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I, unfortunately, am on the Sprint network so my next phone will either be the Galaxy S3 but I'm hoping to be able to hold out for a few more weeks and get the Note2. My Arrive is just not working well with the tower updating they apparently are doing around my area. Hopefully, in the next couple of years, Sprint will come back to Windows and have some decent devices out there.

Unfortunately, Sprint is causing the same kind of chaos here in Youngstown, and my Sprint users at work with EVOs, GS3s, and even iPhones are suffering to the point that my boss and I are in the process of moving them to AT&T.

Before you switch phones and platforms, I would encourage you to merely try a new phone for a week before committing to it in case your situation is similar to mine.

Good luck! :)

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Definitely getting the 920. Really pleased with my 900. It's simple, works well with the bluetooth in my car, takes decent pics, faster than all the dual core phones out there (that I've tested against, including a SG3 at the Rogers store) and was the right price off contract (525 bucks up front, not bad.)

Now that WP8 looks to bring the feature set up to par, I'm excited. I try not to be biased, but everything about Apple's design since the bloody colored iMac has bugged me. Some stuff is a real gem, and they build sturdy machines but this....

colors_imac.jpg

...and that flat stainless steel look of 5 years ago was just awful. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Mac-OS-X-Lion-UI-Full-680-480.png

Gross and boring....
I have no doubt that the ecosystem is strong, but I'm just not interested in the closed nature of it.

Looking forward to Windows 8 and the new Windows Phones. The Lumia 920 will be my choice. Maybe I'll see Winterfang at the gym bulking up to carry his? :D

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Sprint is causing the same kind of chaos here in Youngstown, and my Sprint users at work with EVOs, GS3s, and even iPhones are suffering to the point that my boss and I are in the process of moving them to AT&T.

Before you switch phones and platforms, I would encourage you to merely try a new phone for a week before committing to it in case your situation is similar to mine.

Good luck! :)

Thank you very much for the input and confirmation on that. I've gotten a lot of good info and help from you in particular over the past couple of years since I moved over to Windows Smartphones. I was telling the wife just the other night that my biggest fear is spending the $200 or so on a new phone, only to have the same issues. Just tonight, I tried to retrieve my voice mail from a call I never got( no ring, no missed call in the list, nothing, except the voice mail) and I couldn't even dial my phone to retrieve it. My wife, who has a Samsung Epic 4G had full bars and couldn't dial out either. After a period of time, she managed to get out and we tried calling Sprint support. It dropped the call just after I finished explaining to the person on the other end that I had already factory reset the phone, updated the PRL and Network profile.

I took the phone to the local Sprint center and the guy tried to tell me the reason my Arrive wouldn't work was because it was an EVDO model....... He also had no clue about Windows Phones.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720