I miss the old WP7 Dual Core vs Single Core "Conversations"

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I dedicate this post to Dave "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrande Cinco" Blake with a little blast from the past.

I guess with WP8 and multi-core phones we'll never know which one is better.....

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Well that depends on speed of Core itself, memory, etc. And type of test once again.

say two core 800mhz verus one core at 1.4ghz that would be close in test.
but two core at 1ghz (8s) versus 1.4ghz - dual core would edge out ahead
and two core at 1.5(8x,920,820, ATIV) hands down would blow away one single..

Dual Core will bring true Multi Tasking to WP8..Something we did not have fully in WP7.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
smh.......you guys are crazy.

The dual core vs single core arguments might be over but now they have been replaced with HTC vs Nokia :confused:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Sure single core is better guys think about it. Why do we have to have this discussion over and over. Bottom line single means 1 how can anything be better than number one?! :mad:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sure single core is better guys think about it. Why do we have to have this discussion over and over. Bottom line single means 1 how can anything be better than number one?! :mad:

LOL... best argument ever!

Dual Core will bring true Multi Tasking to WP8..Something we did not have fully in WP7.

OFF TOPIC: That is incorrect. Neither iOS nor WP will support true multitasking. Both OS' are explicitly designed to prohibit it. Finally, the number of cores are irrelevant. Unix has had true multitasking for decades, even on single core systems.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Um, this was supposed to be sarcasm, not an actual post. LONG LIVE SINGLE CORE! :-D

On wpcentral, we can argue over everything and anything! Nobody does that better!

Just carrying on with your line of thought, wouldn't half a core be even BETTER!! It certainly would save on battery power!

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't want any cores! I want my phone to have a positronic brain like Data from Star Trek

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Allow me to interject here, but I will not be happy until we have 8 core processing on Windows Phone. Anything less is just to slow and behind the times. Forget Single or Dual Core, that is so 2012. I'm wanting 2015 technology today!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite songs by EMINEM called RainMan.

"I just did a whole song and I didn't say ****."

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
here we go again! lol

duel-core obviously hase more potential , but when a OS doesn't need it , why fight for it.

and now that we are starting to need it ( with WP8 ) we have it.

yay!

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I watched a side by side comparison the other day on YouTube between the international and U.S version of the Samsung Galaxy SIII. The international version is a Quad core and the U.S. version uses the Dual core. Side by side, really about the only difference was the Quad core booted up about 1-2 seconds faster. Games loaded faster about 50% of the time. The tester ran the test using identical setup phones in a clean room using the companies WiFi connection.

I think the Dual vs Quad debate comes down to the effectiveness of the OS to run with it more so than the actual speed of the CPU be it iOS, WP, Droid, BB, Symbain, etc. The OS has to be able to use the CPU or it's just wasted battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss