Non-removable Batteries

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a good reason manufacturers are making new devices mostly with non-removable batteries? I hope its not just a money making ploy to get you to send it in for service or be forced to replace the phone.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Good question. To make these new thinner phones more durable, I guess.

I had the same concern with my Nokia N8. Even though it's suppose to be a non-removable battery, it's not very hard to replace, you just need a special wrench which is only a couple of dollars.

I got my N8 in Sept 2010 and i's been fine for 2 years.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery worries with a device as critical and valuable as a SMARTphone, for my needs/expectations, is silly; a replaceable batery is a phone requirement for me -period. I carry an extra battery in a front pocket like I carry a ballpoint pen. This is one reason why I just replaced a (durable) Samsung Focus with a new Samsung Focus.

BTW, I just posted some replacement questions on the Focus forum if there are any Focus experts out there. Thanks.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know be personally I always have a pair of batteries, so if one is nearly out of charge, I switch... but yeah it could be more durable... it's not the end of the world if can't remove the battery, but you have to manage you usage in order to have enough battery for the day, because if the battery runs out of charge completely it affects battery life. I think I never used the word battery that much.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I always thought that they're able to make the battery bigger if they don't have to worry about designing a way to remove it.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The idea of an integrated battery is to make the chassis smaller. A replaceable battery and the back lid add just a little mass. However, I like the idea of being able to replace my own battery. The battery in my focus and my girlfriend's focus both crapped out and needed replaced. Being able to buy a new battery on eBay and quickly replace it myself is a nice feature for me.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so much concerned about the charge running down as I always make sure I have charging options. I just think not being able to replace the battery if it defective or some how gets damaged is a bit inconvenient.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Battery worries with a device as critical and valuable as a SMARTphone, for my needs/expectations, is silly; a replaceable batery is a phone requirement for me -period. I carry an extra battery in a front pocket like I carry a ballpoint pen. This is one reason why I just replaced a (durable) Samsung Focus with a new Samsung Focus.

I hope you know that your average Lith-ion battery can explode with the force of a stick of TNT. Don't be carrying around 3rd party batteries like that.

Some of the guys I used to work with had one blow up in the lab. They call it a fire-sale, any number of stresses on the battery outside it's green zone can cause it. Kinda scary actually...

Make sure you only use 1st party batteries directly from the manufacturer.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Being that there are soo many portable charging options these days, i personally dont see it as an issue.

There willl always be heavy users that require more than a single battery in a day, but are they a majority? No replaceable battery doesn't seem to have stopped the iPhone selling by the boat load, can't see it effecting the sales of the 920 or 8X.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
One of the problems that I had with my first HD7 was the only way to shut it off was to pull the battery also had to pull it after recharge because it would lock up in place. but I suppose pilling the card would have the same effect if one had too. I'm always close to a charger be that my car /truck/boat SO I'm not to worried about perm-a-battery's

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
To me the better question is has anyone experienced problems with phones that have non-removable batteries? I have to admit that I wasn't too happy about the L900 not having one when I got mine but I haven't had a problem nor have I heard of anyone having one.

Also, I have a few friends that are still sporting 3GS and they haven't had any problems with their batteries.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had to pull the battery in my Titan at least a few times to shut it down after it freaked out. Which new flagship phone doesn't have a removable battery?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope you know that your average Lith-ion battery can explode with the force of a stick of TNT. Don't be carrying around 3rd party batteries like that.

Some of the guys I used to work with had one blow up in the lab. They call it a fire-sale, any number of stresses on the battery outside it's green zone can cause it. Kinda scary actually...

Make sure you only use 1st party batteries directly from the manufacturer.

Fear is a debilitating, taught cultural phenomenon; but, in any event, batteries do not explode spontaneously -OEM or otherwise. And, it is the live batteries in our phones that are especially susceptible to explosion, not one sitting in a pocket, backpack, purse, or elsewhere. This is why your user guide (Health and safety section) will advise you to turn off your phone at the service station. Boaters/sailors will turn them off when going below deck. Any potentially explosive environment where you are advised to turn off engines, not light cigarettes, etc., is where your phone's live battery is vulnerable to a spark, an explosion, etc. I don't turn off my phone when getting gas, but I do leave it in the car. (Then again, I don't use anti-virus software either.) ;)

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason they do non removable batteries is for design purposes.

I personally always prefer devices with removable batteries but that is getting harder and harder to do every generation of devices.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was always a ,"better to have a spare battery than not kind of guy". But with all the new USB portable chargers its a non-issue. I plug in almost every night when I get home. Can still move around and give the battery a boost while reading forums.

Oh, and no issues for freezeups. On the L900, just press and hold the power button for 10+ seconds and it will simulate a battery pull.

If a device has a removable battery, good thing. But I wouldn't base a purchase on that criteria.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I would rather use a portable booster to recharge my phone than use a spare battery.

I believe that not having a removable battery allows OEMs to pack things tighter, and thus make it better at absorbing shock. Having a cover that can be removed easily creates a weak point.

Also, I've heard that it's much easier to design for better reception... but the iPhone hasn't exactly supported that theory.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I prefer to have a spare battery option too, but I get good battery life on my L900. But in time of an emergency and low battery, I might end up SOL. I wouldn't want to take a road trip with my L900 without a car charger.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, a car charger and a portable USB charger combined costs less than an OEM spare battery. And, they are future proof, as long as micro USB doesn't change.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There are you tube videos about replacing screens in the 900 whixh show how to get into the 900 and to replace the screen you have to get the battery out of the way. Sio it should be no problem to get into the 920 and replace the battery if you can find a replacement battery (I suspect thats not going to be that hard either)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)