How important is the 7.8 update for you?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the resizeable tiles, but I love my phone the way it is.

I'm not buying a WP8 phone anytime soon, just got my Lumia 5-6 months ago. If the 920 had been a little more amazing, as in not bigger and heavier than the current 900, that might have tempted me to buy a new one earlier, but as it is I can definitely wait for 7.8 and hang on to my Lumia 900.

A 920 that was a little even smaller and lighter than the 900, but with the upgraded memory, resolution etc (I couldn't care less about wireless charging) would have had my money burning a hole in my pocket.

Not that excited about Samsung and HTC's offerings so far. They are encouraging, but I haven't seen anything from anyone yet that comes close to making me want to spend 100's of dollars to get a new phone before my contract ends.

I'm optimistic that by the time I'm ready in a year or so there will be some more attractive choices. I'd really like to stick with Nokia ideally, so I hope they come to their senses and make a less gigantic phone that still offers 720p resolution and isn't just a budget model.

If not, I'm going to have some tough decisions to make....

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know what exactly is on the update and if sprint is even going to release it but im just waiting for next year when I think sprint will get a wp8. Hopefully lol

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to pull an FU with the carriers on 7.8 and force it out to everyone's phones. Within 7.5 it is such a fragmented mess because of shtbags like ATT. Tango is AWOL for most phones on ATT after they promised they would release tango to fix the keyboard.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not getting 7.8 or it being delayed will not impact my continued use of my Lumia and/or getting the 920, but damn it sure would be nice to get it asap ;)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Juggalonation. I'd like to have it on my phone, but it's not the end of of the world because I don't have it yet... And I'm not interested in figuring out how and if I can hack it on my 900.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
microsoft needs to pull an fu with the carriers on 7.8 and force it out to everyone's phones. Within 7.5 it is such a fragmented mess because of shtbags like att. Tango is awol for most phones on att after they promised they would release tango to fix the keyboard.

+1

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well it's actually very important to me now as my mum has said until I get a job I'm stuck with my TITAN (that means no signing 18/24 month contracts either), so if it takes me 5 years to get a job, I got another 5 years left with my TITAN. Before anyone says move out... that's a surefire way to kill me as I can't look after myself properly.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
For me it really doesn't matter, all functionality works the same besides a new start screen. Unfortunately I signed a contract and have to wait until November 2013 to get a new phone at the discounted price. it also gives me another year to just see what apple does with the next iphone (assuming it will be the 5s) or iphone 7 or whatever it will be called, also to see what is in store for WP9 if they do a yearly update. The biggest thing for me is if WP8 will not be upgradable to WP9 and it is November 2013, This will greatly effect me as for my next upgrade.

If it is just a new start screen, then it isn't a big deal. If my phone doesn't get WP 7.8 by January, will also be a big deal as it tells me they aren't serious about previous customers since I am a returning customer (HTC HD7 then my Titan 2)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well it's actually very important to me now as my mum has said until I get a job I'm stuck with my TITAN (that means no signing 18/24 month contracts either), so if it takes me 5 years to get a job, I got another 5 years left with my TITAN. Before anyone says move out... that's a surefire way to kill me as I can't look after myself properly.
Jeez, my retirement plans just took a dump if you're going to be the future. I'll have to work 'til I die AND keep my Quantum.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Jeez, my retirement plans just took a dump if you're going to be the future. I'll have to work 'til I die AND keep my Quantum.

Well fortunately I am enquiring about support to ensure that I can learn to fully look after myself and I am looking for work. I suggested selling my phone and tablet and buying a phone from the pound shop but was told I wouldn't get enough money so may as well keep what I got.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Everybody is going to get 7.8 direct. Carriers have no say over it.

This would be awesome... but how do you know this for a fact?

My contract isn't up till June, but if my Titan is still working (and gets 7.8 quickly), I may wait even longer. Titan, even with its faults, has been my best smart phone (out of 2 total, heh). Not going HTC again though, due to its faults.

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I want 7.8. I bought my Titan this year, so I can't really justify replacing it just yet, especially as a student. If I didn't get it, I'd probably lose a bit of faith in the WP platform.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If they can force 7.8 to all windows 7.5 phones, why cant they force tango? I just cannot understand that at all. Tango is available. Use the same method they say they will use to get 7.8 to all 7.5 phones for Tango. Stop giving your supporters the damn PR babble.

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
actually 7.8 is very important for me. The smaller tiles for apps such as IE , which don't have a live tile would be good. It would save space, increase usability of the start screen. Less scrolling.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Nokia 610 off contract (my first Windows phone, and the second one in our household - it was so cheap!). Since it works so much better than my close to two year old BB Torch (even with the tiny amount of RAM), I won't be grabbing a WP8 phone for at least a few months (need to wait until the current Torch contract is over). The 7.8 update will be nice - but the 7.5 update is working very well for me.:)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, in the past, have there always been hacked custom roms pop up for the updates as we are seeing for 7.8? If so, is there a rough relation where once custom roms pop up, the true update pops up x days/weeks later?

I realize there is no official link from MS, but it would seem MS would be releasing an SDK, from which hacked roms spawn (?), and it would be a milestone toward the release?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6