This is why Windows Phone is SO far behind.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't find the article that was on WMPU.

I've been saying money bags MS should be dropping bags of money off to these devs. I guess it doesn't work like that though. Because I see no reason why some of these top notch apps are not on WP7.

I'm not a developer, but I would assume they get royalties like anyone else in their position. Microsoft will need to sell the developers the pending success of the platform - maybe tossing in some incentives of some type.

I bet quite a few are taking a wait and see approach.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I kind of get OP's point. If a dev is going to develop a mobile app, you can be 99% certain it will come to iOS, maybe later on Android and you can pray for it to come to WP. And that's a problem. Sure, the example might not be the best but no one can deny having a phone that is almost universally supported and CAN do all of these things if you want to is remarkable.

I'm pretty pumped up about WP8 and the 920 but if in a year the app support hasn't improved, I'll have no choice but to go back to a damn iPhone.

There are just so many things I could do with an iPhone that I can't with a WP, just because some apps are missing. I'm patient but it is enraging at times.

For example, recently, the Lockitron has been in the news. WP app? Nope. The really cool feature called "Sense" that automatically unlocks your door through Bluetooth when you approach it: iOS exclusive. I won't start on apps for musicians, because they are almost non-existent on WP. Even a decent metronome is hard to find on WP.

The point is: every new idea that comes out in the mobile landscape is guaranteed to be available to iPhone users and this is part of the reason why it is so popular and awesome. This needs to change, and I hope it will with WP8, W8 and the amount of developers they will attract but it still will be a tough journey.

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been saying money bags MS should be dropping bags of money off to these devs. I guess it doesn't work like that though. Because I see no reason why some of these top notch apps are not on WP7.

Microsoft has already been dropping money on developers. Angry birds was a prime example. I'm sure at some stage Microsoft stated they'd approached the entire top 100 apps on iPhone, and offered money for apps, which is why they had like 70 or the top 100 iPhone apps (with a number of the rest being Apple or Google).

The problem is, theres like 500k apps on iPhone, Microsoft can't just go throwing 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars at every single developer. WP is already a dirty great money pit, and that just makes it worse, and moves it closer to a project Microsoft will drop as it makes no money.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not saying for every developer. Out of the 500,000 apps in the Apple app store, I'd say I wouldn't want 499,900 of them.
Microsoft has already been dropping money on developers. Angry birds was a prime example. I'm sure at some stage Microsoft stated they'd approached the entire top 100 apps on iPhone, and offered money for apps, which is why they had like 70 or the top 100 iPhone apps (with a number of the rest being Apple or Google).

The problem is, theres like 500k apps on iPhone, Microsoft can't just go throwing 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars at every single developer. WP is already a dirty great money pit, and that just makes it worse, and moves it closer to a project Microsoft will drop as it makes no money.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
For example, recently, the Lockitron has been in the news. WP app? Nope. The really cool feature called "Sense" that automatically unlocks your door through Bluetooth when you approach it: iOS exclusive.

The point is: every new idea that comes out in the mobile landscape is guaranteed to be available to iPhone users and this is part of the reason why it is so popular and awesome. This needs to change, and I hope it will with WP8, W8 and the amount of developers they will attract but it still will be a tough journey.

That is really cool and you are right. its one of the things I still do not like about my switch from iphone. Anything that was developed was available at the beginning on iOS. Of the few Whole house control I looked at they all work on iOS, none on WP. At least lockitron works via web for WP users so I may still get it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster