Depoying 40+ Lumia 800's

mythumbsclick

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

My department is just about to purchase and deploy 40+ Lumia 800's. I have been testing a 710 and really like it so far - Ideal for a work phone.

I have a couple of questions regarding the deployment which I?m hoping some of you may have come across:

1. I want all the phones to look the same and be configured the same way (menus, applications pinned/not pinned, installs, various other settings). What is the best way to deploy this for multiple phones? In theory, can I configure one device and backup and restore to other devices using Zune (or 3rd party? - The phones won?t be unlocked)

2. I would like the possibility of remotely logging onto a phone from my office if a user is out "in the field" and needs assistance with something. Is there anything out there I can install on the phone which will let me do this?

3. I have setup 1 Windows live email account and am thinking of using this one account to setup all the phones initially. The plan is then to change the password on the phone to an incorrect password and save this so the phone can no longer sync with Hotmail (I don?t want all the phones syncing with one email account for obvious reasons). Using one email account will enable me to log into things such as windows phone - find my phone and administer all the phones under one account when required. (this currently works with my ?test? phone). I really want to avoid having to setup multiple Hotmail accounts. Does this sound like a good idea or am I going about this the wrong way?

4. Is there anyway I can implement restrictions on the phones? I want to stop people syncing Facebook as an email account for example.
My company use a hosted exchange environment which rules out using MS Intune or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I think using one hotmail account and then changing the password may bork the phone... The account will be the default for Zune, and if an app comes out that would help your business there will be no way to get it on all devices, and you could also forget about app and OS updates. Also Zune has a 5 device limit for syncing of any kind.

For that matter, I think using a WP7 device would also be a mistake... MS is focused more on enterprise solutions with WP8, so it will probably be a better fit to use an 8xx series WP8 as a fleet phone, as it will likely have solutions to some of the issues you raised in the OP, not to mention other ideal enterprise-focused features like superior on-device encryption, etc.

For example, WP7/7.5 have no comprehensive backup feature like iOS or Android. You would have to manually setup each phone. Also, WP7/7.5 don't feature the ability to block Facebook syncing like you want to.

Since much of WP8 is still in the dark, there's no way of knowing whether WP8 will support these features, but some chance is better than no chance.

Either way, I would recommend contacting MS about both WP7/7.5 and WP8, as they will be able to assist you with efficiently setting up your fleet phones regardless which OS you choose.

As a note, both OS support Exchange flawlessly.

Last edited:

mythumbsclick

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your very useful information. Due to company budgets, Windows Phone 8 phones are not an option for us currently, and the fleet are currently using Nokia E71/72's which are absolute pieces of $hit so we are keen to move ahead with new phones ASAP. Sound like 7.5 will be a right pain in the arse to administer from an admin point of you unfortunately. Looks like more research is required on this!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
1. I want all the phones to look the same and be configured the same way (menus, applications pinned/not pinned, installs, various other settings). What is the best way to deploy this for multiple phones? In theory, can I configure one device and backup and restore to other devices using Zune (or 3rd party? - The phones won?t be unlocked)

I don't know of any enterprise/IT solution to do this easily, sorry.

2. I would like the possibility of remotely logging onto a phone from my office if a user is out "in the field" and needs assistance with something. Is there anything out there I can install on the phone which will let me do this?

Nope, can't do this either. Unfortunately there's no "Log Me In" or Citrix type applications for Windows Phone 7.5. I think it's VERY likely this will change with WP8 though

3. I have setup 1 Windows live email account and am thinking of using this one account to setup all the phones initially. The plan is then to change the password on the phone to an incorrect password and save this so the phone can no longer sync with Hotmail (I don?t want all the phones syncing with one email account for obvious reasons). Using one email account will enable me to log into things such as windows phone - find my phone and administer all the phones under one account when required. (this currently works with my ?test? phone). I really want to avoid having to setup multiple Hotmail accounts. Does this sound like a good idea or am I going about this the wrong way?

Wow not sure what to tell you here. Unfortunately WP 7.5 was never really designed as an enterprise solution and it's missing a lot of the tools you need to implement this kind of thing. Again, this should change with WP8.

4. Is there anyway I can implement restrictions on the phones? I want to stop people syncing Facebook as an email account for example.
My company use a hosted exchange environment which rules out using MS Intune or anything like that.

See above.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think WP7.5 is the best choice for what you are trying to do here. If you're on a budget and you need phones you can manage and apply those kinds of controls too, I'd say look at iPhone 3GS/4 or Android. Those phones do remote access, they have all kind of enterprise solutions which will accomplish the things you're looking for.

WP 7.5 just isn't there yet. If you can wait for WP8, then you will probably get everything you're asking for, but I can't in good conscience recommend buying 40 WP 7.5 phones in this case.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would like to second everything socialcarpet just said. Don't get WP7 for business use if you require anything resembling enterprise management features. Just don't!

Stating that your company is on a VERY tight budget (can't afford WP8 devices), but that they are willing to pay someone a salary to administer them is completely contradictory. The administration costs will FAR outweigh the upfront cost of those WP8 devices (assuming your company is buying these devices at subsidized price points from their preferred carrier).

I would recommend reading this and this to get an idea of what the differences are. None of the things mentioned on those pages are supported by WP7... it's all about WP8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12