WP 7.8 Update for Samsung Focus

Athreyas

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I own a Samsung Focus which runs on WP 7.5. I have been waiting for the WP 7.8 update since long time.
I saw in some threads that 7.8 update is available for most of the Nokia mobiles. So any idea about when is it available for Samsung.??

Thanks in Advance
Athreyas

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
7.8 isn't officially out for any phone, people installing it on their Nokias have been taking advantage of a tool that Nokia provides and doing so unofficially.

Only date that's been mentioned is still "early 2013", which is pretty vague.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
indeed, no official updates yet, this is getting really annoying

I am getting really pissed off at Microsoft for announcing everything just days or hours before it actually happens.

Apart from WP7.8 still no word on concrete Office 2013 release date or Surface Pro release date, just vague first Q 2013, end of January etc... getting really sick of this and I am sure many other are as well.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that there will be the classic Focus update dance... plugging the phone in, count to two, and disconnect the wifi on the laptop. Good times...

R Alperen Torun

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
There is some answers in this log. And some other things should be aware of it.
[TIP]Privacy Statement You are now chatting with 'Ryan B.'.
Ryan B.: Hello , my name is Ryan B. with Microsoft Support. Please give me a few moments as I review the information you've submitted.
Ryan B.: Your issue description isn't loading. What can I assist you with today?
You: Some apps in my purchase history are missing and i can't re-install them without purchasing.
You: This occured after account migration.
Ryan B.: Ok. This is to be expected, when migrating an account. Some apps are not available to be migrated between regions.
You: I know this but this problem occurs at apps like "Mehdoh", "Metrotube" those are available at my region.
Ryan B.: Yes, but they weren't migrated to your new region. Some apps simply do not migrate between regions, and you will have to repurchase them. Perhaps there are differences in the applications due to regional restrictions, but as I said this is expected with account migration.
You: So I will have to re-purchase them won't I?
Ryan B.: Yes, that is the case with the apps which are not available for a simple redownload. Apologies! I wish I had better news for you.
You: It is sad but okay, I just need some info about this situation.
You: And I want to ask another question if I may.
Ryan B.: Absolutely! What can I assist you with?
You: Are there anyway to use my free apps from old region but they're not available at my current region? If this is not possible, how much i need to wait for apps once I were using like "Fhotoroom".
You: Is this about publisher's decision or Microsoft's?
Ryan B.: These are international trade agreements dealing with copyright laws and such, and as such are handled between Microsoft and the developers and the region in question. *I understand where you're coming from, but unfortunately we aren't able to just get those apps installed in a region where they're not available.
You: Ok. I understand.
Ryan B.: Yea, there's a lot that go into those agreements, it's well more than I'm privvy to. I'm glad you understand! Thanks for your patience with all this.
Ryan B.: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
You: And lastly, there are some rumours about 7.8 update will be available at January 31st, is this true, could you provide info about that?
Ryan B.: Keep an eye out on WindowsPhone.com and with your Mobile Cell Company, as they'll have the true information. There is talk about the 31st for some carriers, we've heard around here that Febuary could be likely. But It's really up to the Cell company as to when they release it. Once we release it, of course.
Ryan B.: So in order to get real information always use windowsphone.com to keep current on the news. You: Thank you. You: For the information about these. Ryan B.: You're welcome! I'm glad we could at least shed some light on what's going on.
[/TIP]

Saiyaku

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
ATT Samsung focus oweners, we did not even get tango update.. forget about 7.8 :(

qft

That's why when they told me "AT&T", I just heard "custom ROM" :D

And that's what I did. The fact that I completely stopped worrying about the 7.8 update officially coming to first generation devices is doing wonders to my mental health.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to load the "unofficial" 7.8 on a focus 1.3?
If someone could walk me thru it would be much appreciated!

You will need to research that one yourself. Its not hard but there is a risk of bricking your phone. I doubt anyone would want to take responsibility for it.

There are also some prerequisites before you can do this. The reward is probably a better experience than what the official 7.8 update will be.

OnTheWright

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Might I suggest you try SevenEighter to do your upgrade to WP7.8. I upgraded my Samsung Focus and a LG Quantum 900 . Worked without a hitch and also installed every update since the Mango update on both my phones.

While other upgrades to the WP7 would be nice like IE10, the WP8 screen and sizable tiles changes the whole character of the phone. Now I know why MS was so slow to offer the update -- with WP7.8 who really needs WP8?

BTW, I did contact Samsung to ask about the update and basically they told me to pound sand. I have bought my last SAMSUNG anything. I am impressed with NOKIA, I used to have an E71 -- great phone, lousy software -- next purchase will be a Nokia.

kxcd

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I also used the SevenEighter app today and updated my Samsung Focus i917 to 7.8.

Tried using the Zune, pulling the lan cable method about 50 times with no luck so I searched and found the SevenEighter app. I couldn't wait anymore. 7+ month is a joke...

Did it first on my wife's old LG-C900 that was running 7.10.7720 to try it out first. It seem to work fine.

The SevenEighter app automatically applied five updates plus a backup to my Focus that was running 7.10.8107.79. Took 50+ minutes total. Downloaded the 78er app. and the the WP7 Updater tool that the app indicated I needed. Unzipped both into a folder. Started the app and it found the phone and automatically downloads all updates, installs and resets the phone each time. Here's the gist of the updates:

Connected via wireless connection on my laptop so it might have gone faster if I was direct connected...

Started at version 8107.79
Launched the app.
Select what language packs you want to install
Took about 11 mins of showing the connection screen only before the progress bar showed up and started. Whew!
Took 9 mins for the install of the first update. Installed version .8112.7

Note: If you want to see versions; after the Start screen comes up, you can quickly go to Settings-About-More to look at the version number but must do quickly before the next update starts.

Automatically began second update. Took 7 mins. Installed .8773.98
Minute later a backup began. Took 9 mins.
Immediate third update took approx. 3 minutes. I believe it installed .8779.8 but since the next update started, I didn't have time to look at version number.
Fourth update began and took about 2 mins. Version .8783.12
Fifth update began and took approx. 5 mins. Look for blue Windows Phone splash screen. Success! Version .8858.136 - Windows Update 7.8!!! America, F&%k yeah!!

Only differences I've seen with limited use today:

Resizing tiles on Start screen. I like it!
Several more colors in themes. Cool!
Bing Pic of Day on your lock screen. No thanks
Outlook tile, Office tile have slightly different icons now.

That's all that I've seen so far.

I noticed that if you resize a Live tile to the smallest size, it no longer acts as a Live tile.
Having no gutter on the right side is nice.

Search the net for SevenEighter. Easy as pie...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb