Windows Phone 7.8 performance changes

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 900 and I haven't noticed any change in performance. If anything, it feels a little zippier.
FWIW, I really like this little update. Much nicer to be able to put a few more apps directly on the home screen.

Wish they could've added a way to take screenshots as well though. :)

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
no really what I am noticing is that they have added an extra animation step where it shows your tap was confirmed.registered with a little depression of the tile,

That was also there before. You just didn't notice it because the app or part of os (contacts, mail, messages etc) would open into the opening-animation instantly. I used to keep my finger on the tile without letting go to see if it animates into different angles, and it did/does. It's animated in 3d, that's also why I didn't understand the whole "it's fluid because its just 2d" bullsht, because it's just as 3d as android, just without the painted bubbly-ness and gradients on the textures/objects, which must have made all the idiots think that their OS are 3D objects lol

Anyway, yes, it has become slower to open anything. Before I would just click on the phone-apps and they would open instantly (marketplace, contacts, texts, call list etc..) but now it takes some time, i click it and can wait and watch it before it begins to open it. Sometimes i think it hasn't registered and i tap again even though it already has, sometimes it registers accidental input and i dont realize it until i am already somewhere else on the start screen just to suddenly be interrupted in my attempt to open what i really wanted to open by the app that i accidentally touched 2 seconds ago...it's bs and a i am wondering if they may have made it deliberately just so people would feel their phones are becoming old/slow/obsolete (just like it was with computers a few years ago) to tempt them to feel they have to buy a new one, especially after they have "tasted blood" with the new start screen, which really looks better than the old one.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Start screen scrolling is fine, but launching an app from it has degraded severely. After tapping a tile, it can take 2 ~ 4 seconds before it'll actually jump into the app now. Quite concerning. Gen1 device.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, lumia 710 here. It's definitely not the animation. The first time I opened the games hub, it took about 2 seconds. The second and third times were faster. I see similar behavior from other apps too.

If the animation was the problem, it would have taken the same time, every time.

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Slower for me too. Lumia 800 updated the official way on Three UK. Noticable delay when opening apps.

Interestingly, my friend on Vodafone UK says his 800 feels quicker!

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't taken the leap yet, and after reading about this issue as well as the bandwidth usage / battery drain issue, I'm not sure it's a great idea.

But darn it, I want those small tiles.

Do you know if it's possible to revert back to my phone's current state (mango) if I try this and dislike it?

rcballa12

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Only if you do not flash your device using Nokia Care Suite or similar. You can restore if you update using seveneighter, one of the cab sender methods, or the official Zune method.

Performing a full flash (recover, refurbish) basically renders all previous restore points unusable so I advise against that method.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... so just to be sure I'm understanding, if I just do seveneighter to update my phone (Verizon Trophy), I'll be able to drop back to today's state. Is that right? Sounds pretty ideal!

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The question is whos running official updates and if MS will even fix the issues because besides this lag there's reports of data bugs and battery problems. I guess there's a reason all older phones didn't get the update, most of us are on two year hardware so consider that.

I'm sure the Nexus S can even run the newest version of jelly bean so i guess there is something to be thankful for.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
^ I have a gen 1 device and still got the update. But anyway, data bug wise: If you see *ANY* blank live tiles on your start screen (possibly a tile simply coloured dark grey or something), unpin immediately.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It also feels slower on my HTC Trophy with a 7.8 custom rom. Only in the start screen though, so I thought it was just the rom's fault.

Also, I've noticed a lot more HTC Trophy owners on WPCentral - where were you guys before?

rcballa12

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Camera is very buggy, switching from video to stills is hit or miss and will sometimes boot you out of the camera app. Sometimes the screen goes black and you have to toggle to the other mode for it to come back.

Also it's still worth noting that I hate that you cannot attach FFC videos to MMS messages. WHY would you only be allowed to attach main camera videos?? What is the difference!?

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the start screen has become laggy after the 7.8 update, dont think we will get any future update which will fix this issue, hopefully jaxbot,Heathcliff or any other xda dev can provide homebrew fix for this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05