Old phone: turn off radio

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have an old Samsung Focus I am going to give to my daughter to use as basically a Zune..
She can use it with wifi signals, but not any cell functions (no SIM card)..
Is there a way to completely turn off the cell radio so it doesn't use the battery?
We may eventually get a straight talk plan, but not yet...

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an old Samsung Focus I am going to give to my daughter to use as basically a Zune..
She can use it with wifi signals, but not any cell functions (no SIM card)..
Is there a way to completely turn off the cell radio so it doesn't use the battery?
We may eventually get a straight talk plan, but not yet...

This is what I use my Titan for. Turn it into Airplane mode. You can then turn any other radios on. I turn the WiFi on when I'm traveling to pick up on airports networks and Bluetooth when I'm using my sound system. Between all this I can use it for about 2 weeks without getting below 40%.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Awesome!

Another question: with no sim card, is there anyway to message the phone over wifi (SMS or otherwise)? A seperate app, perhaps? I know I can email, but sometimes you need to say "hey, we are out front waiting on you"..

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Awesome!

Another question: with no sim card, is there anyway to message the phone over wifi (SMS or otherwise)? A seperate app, perhaps? I know I can email, but sometimes you need to say "hey, we are out front waiting on you"..

There are some SMS apps such as Google Voice or What'sApp but email is probably best if her account is set to 'push' she'll get the email just as quickly as going through one of those apps, assuming she is connected to WiFi.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Awesome!

You should be able to message her through windows live messenger. Only if both of you have an account.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to message her through windows live messenger. Only if both of you have an account.

I think the biggest problem you'll run into (email or messenger) is that the Focus (is it on 7.5 or 7.8? Not sure if it makes a difference here) can't maintain WiFi when the screen is locked unlike with WP8. This means that if she's using the phone and the screen is off she won't reconnect to WiFi and get the message until she turns the screen back on and it reconnects.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Isn;t there an app that keeps your wifi active..? I thought I saw that...

Also: did we ever get an official compatible microSD card list? I may want to buy a card to put in it so she can watch movies..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss