Is windows phone 7 dead?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I said new apps. Not old apps with updates). That leave you with Disquss and How to watch.

Yes, and how many new WP8 exclusives were on that list? One! So, of three new apps, two run on WP7!

Two out of three doesn't sound half bad, particularly since we've applied your "distortion field" which requires us to ignore 1st party apps, ignore all the extra customer care provided to 75% of WP7 owners (Nokia customers), and ignore all the WP7 app updates which occur on a daily basis.

I'd say you are going out of your way to feel negative about something. You are ignoring-away half of reality and even then WP7 is far from dead.

My point being, MSFT isn't looking out for their customers needs.

If that is the point you are trying to make, sure, such an argument can be made. I would simply ask you to do so in the correct thread. This thread asks the question whether WP7 is dead, which has nothing to do with the point you are apparently trying to communicate.

I bought a Lumia 800 on the day it was released. It did what I needed it to then. It still does what I need it to do now. It still gets new apps all the time. All the apps I use still get regular updates. Just yesterday all of my Synology apps (that interface with my NAS) got updates, which is awesome. By now, it really must be clear to everyone reading along that WP7 is not yet dead. Heading off into the sunset (just as WP8 is), yes, dead, no!

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Obviously you are missing the point. WP7 is dead because Microsoft isnt supporting us. They havent had our interests in mind.... from the beginning. The designed WP7 and WP8 in parallel, and released WP7, knowing their wouldnt be an upgrade path for us.

WP8 is suffering because Microsoft needed to build on their base, rather than abandon their base.... AGAIN.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Obviously you are missing the point. WP7 is dead because Microsoft isnt supporting us. They havent had our interests in mind.... from the beginning. The designed WP7 and WP8 in parallel, and released WP7, knowing their wouldnt be an upgrade path for us.

WP8 is suffering because Microsoft needed to build on their base, rather than abandon their base.... AGAIN.

I fail to see your logic in this matter. I'm not picking on you per se, but you keep saying that WP7 is dead because of x, y & z. Using your logic, Apple abandoned its users when they went from iOS 3 to 4 and then again when they went from 4 to 5 and so on. There are a ton of Android apps that require 4.0 and up to function. Did Google abandon all their FroYo and GingerBread customers as well? Certainly not. It's called progress. If you buy a phone, or any other product for that matter, expecting it to perform the same way newer products do in the future, then you're delusional. I'm not buying a new F-150 today expecting Ford to give me that diesel engine they've been promising 3 years from now. If you don't like the current crop of phones now, stick with what you've got. Nobody says you HAVE to get a new phone every two years.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty dead. The silver lining though is that there were never any apps to begin with for windows phone so it doesn't feel that much different.

LOL. Sad but true. That's how I feel about it as well. Not much difference in how I use my Lumia 900 now vs how it was when there was "active" development for it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Obviously you are missing the point. WP7 is dead because Microsoft isnt supporting us.

It is hard to grasp your point, when you keep changing the focus of your argument in every post.

Your last remaining argument, that WP7 is dead because MS isn't updating WP7 to the extent it should, is the only one that isn't born out of emotional overreaction. I agree it has some merit. However, I disagree that this alone justifies declaring WP7 dead (see my earlier post #68 for what I think is a reasonable definition of "dead"). If in your view, this alone justifies calling WP7 dead, despite the proof that the WP7 app ecosystem is still expanding and evolving, then I think you are just being a drama queen.

If this is your definition of dead, then sure, WP7 is dead, in the same way my 12 year old dog is dead, who doesn't learn new tricks as quickly as he once did.

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
It is hard to grasp your point, when you keep changing the focus of your argument in every post.

Your last remaining argument, that WP7 is dead because MS isn't updating WP7 to the extent it should, is the only one that isn't born out of emotional overreaction. I agree it has some merit. However, I disagree that this alone justifies declaring WP7 dead (see my earlier post #68 for what I think is a reasonable definition of "dead"). If in your view, this alone justifies calling WP7 dead, despite the proof that the WP7 app ecosystem is still expanding and evolving, then I think you are just being a drama queen.

If this is your definition of dead, then sure, WP7 is dead, in the same way my 12 year old dog is dead, who doesn't learn new tricks as quickly as he once did.

Your dog will die if you stop feeding him. As a community, we rely on Microsoft for support.

Microsoft even updated Skype for IOs. Its still in garbage mode for WP.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Your dog will die if you stop feeding him. As a community, we rely on Microsoft for support.

Microsoft even updated Skype for IOs. Its still in garbage mode for WP.

Absolutely agree, the thing is, MS is not the only company that can make dog food. We just ain't gettin' no more doggie buscuits ;-)

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely agree, the thing is, MS is not the only company that can make dog food. We just ain't gettin' no more doggie buscuits ;-)

I dont know if you are from the US. But there were some sad stories a few years ago about Homeowners "strategically" forclosing on their homes, and leaving their pets locked in the house.

Microsoft strategically forclosed on WP7.5, and left us in that house. They couldnt even leave us with a working 7.8

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I dont know if you are from the US. But there were some sad stories a few years ago about Homeowners "strategically" forclosing on their homes, and leaving their pets locked in the house.

Yeah, a lot of Americans haven't had it easy these past few years, incl. their pets :-(

I'm from Switzerland.

I get what you are saying. At this point I think it is clear, that our disagreement revolves more around how you have been expressing your frustrations as opposed to the actual substance. According to WPC's last podcast, MS is prepared to fix the issues with 7.8, so at least you won't be stuck with those problems forever.

Jay_wpcentral

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
There is so much drama in this thread it's just silly. Windows 7.8 still works fine on my Lumia 900 and I'm still finding new apps.

I think part of the problem is that many people bought a cutting edge WP7 device right before WP8 was announced. For example, my Lumia 900 that I bought in April 2012. It's really not Microsoft's fault that Nokia was releasing a "flagship" phone a couple months before MS was going to announce WP8. Nokia knew that WP8 was coming and they would have known that WP8 was not going to be supported on the previous generation hardware. Was MS supposed to send out a press release (prior to their WP8 announcement) warning everyone not to buy Nokia's Lumia 900? It's really not even Nokia's fault as they released the Lumia 800 a full year before WP8 was released and it just wasn't picked up by any of the US carriers. Instead we had to wait 6 more months for AT&Ts customized Lumia 900 to be released which by then was only 6 months prior to WP8 (and WP7 was two years old at that point). To some extent Apple doesn't have this problem because they control the hardware, but Apple is also so secretive that people still get stuck buying a new iPhone X weeks before the iPhone X+1 is released. Android is well known for releasing updates that won't run on 6 month old hardware. MS kept WP7 going for two years and they are still maintaining it (7.8 is only a few weeks old). It's not their fault that manufacturers and carriers were just starting to build serious phones after two years.

Also, there seems to be a serious logic problem here. Apple does the same thing with every release of iOS. iOS 6 is only fully supported on the iPhone 5. You can upgrade the iPhone 4S to "iOS 6", but it won't support all of the features. The iPhone 4 is missing even more features. How is this any different than WP7.8? WP7.8 is an update that can be installed on previous generation hardware and contains some of the functionality of WP8. Would it make people feel better if MS had named it WP8 and had a footnote explaining that some functionality of WP8 is only supported on new generation phones? The end result is the same. They only difference is how each company arbitrarily versions their OS.

Anyone buying a WP7 device today is buying it for the same reason that people buy an iPhone 4S or previous generation Android today. It's cheaper.

Finally, I personally give MS a little slack on this one considering that WP7 is version 1.x of the WP platform so some breaking changes are to be expected early on. Having said that, even my Lumia 900 is going on a year old now. A year old is like 50 years old in smart phone years. I don't expect my smart phone to be cutting edge at this point. In another year (or less) it will be in a recycle bin somewhere. This is the reality of mobile computing and I don't really think MS has handled this any better or worse than the competition.

I am yet to read a better argument then this. Kudos! very well written.

I own a phone 7.5 and ended up buying a phone 8, just a little over two months later. Am I upset that my old phone is extinct? Not really. I use that as a backup when my new phone runs out of battery or being do some other stuff. I still use my phone 7.5 and I see most of the apps are still available for it. No, I don't think phone 7 is dead. If anything, I am glad it is still around as cheaper phones will continue to make the most of it.

Traderhorn

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
i think it is 7.8 will be the last update, am thinking to upgrade to version 8, and my radar 7.5 will be used as work phone,
it will still function even if no support, and it has worked with out fault.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99