Compatibility issues between 7.8 update (7.10.8862.144) and google

wp_cb

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In canada with telus lumia 800 and received both updates. i am now running 7.10.8862.144

*** People should be aware that the update no longer allows proper sync with google. existing accounts will continue to work however new accounts will not. i put a fresh install to clean up the "other" storage and migrate to outlook.com from hotmail. i can no longer sync gmail contacts, & calendars. the gmail sync also no longer allows "as items arrive" and instead is limited to checking my gmail at determined time intervals. additionally there is no support for .ics.

for me this has been a significant problem as the migration from gmail to outlook.com has been quite frustrating (i highly recommend exporting contacts instead of using microsofts automated process). i am finding outlook.com quite lacking in terms of custom entry fields and the inability to import contact photos. additionally the microsoft's calendar is terrible. while this issue seems to be affecting wp7.x i worry that it may be indicative of things to come on all platforms.

the move from gmail to outlook.com did not seem like a big deal to me until i had to do it. i am not at all happy with the update.

see for more info: Set up or delete an email account | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
This is due to the fact that Google is ending ActiveSync support for Contacts and Calendar for free GMail accounts in July. Instead, they are moving to CalDav and CarDav support for calendar and contacts. I believe this is a preemptive move by Microsoft to separate the email sync functionality from the contacts and calendar. They said they are working on CalDav and CarDav support, and I'm assuming this update will be release sometime before the July deadline. It's definitely an inconvenience, but hopefully this explains why you're noticing some missing features. I think it's part of an extended solution to make WP fully work with Google's revised syncing policy for email, calendar and contacts. Hope this helps!
Edit: There's a WPCentral article that talks about a temporary workaround until CalDav and CarDav are fully implemented in WP - http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-removes-exchange-activesync-google-accounts

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss