MS account contacts not syncing correctly?

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks! Maybe I can get some help...

I've got an HTC Arrive with Windows Phone 7.8 (build 8862, I've manually updated). All has been perfect up until today with my contacts. I decided to do a hard reset and get a fresh start with my apps and such. The weird part is that after entering in my MS account info when setting up the phone, it seems not all of my contacts are syncing to the phone. I double-checked my contacts by going to contacts.live.com and all of my contacts were there, intact with linked social networks. I even triple-checked in Windows 8's 'People' app and all of my contacts were there as normal.

I keep trying to manually sync my account on my Arrive and it doesn't change anything. I've since tried another hard reset but the issue persists. I haven't had this issue at all previously. Up until today, I've always had all of my contacts sync with no issue. I tried downgrading to 7.8 build 8858 and the problem still happens.

I'm pretty damn proficient with Windows Phone but this problem has me scratching my head. Has anyone else had problems syncing their Live contacts? Is there a known issue I don't know about?

SIDENOTE: I have a Lumia 920 with stock AT&T firmware that I'm using as a test phone and it has all of my contacts synced just fine... so it seems this is a Windows Phone 7.x issue? The Arrive is my main phone.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi hi there, I had the same problem as well! with my L900 and iPhone 4

I really don't understand where it's emanating from though but it seems like WP7.5-8 or iPhones do not sync up properly.

Your WP8 will of course sync all the contacts.

But anyway to fix that, you'll have to remake that contact though =/ only way I found to be able to make it work. Sorry for the sad news =/

Allen Brandt

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Same problem. My Lumia 920 syncs contacts fine from corporate Outlook, Gmail and Live, but my personal Radar 4G (WP 7.8) will not sync my live contacts. I'm stumped

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Make sure contacts box is checked. Next step is to go to your outlook email and sync your email and ensure it is set as items arrive. When you press sync on email it syncs everything including calendar and contacts. Last step if nothing works... Go to settings, email and accounts and long press on outlook and press sync
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Make sure contacts box is checked. Next step is to go to your outlook email and sync your email and ensure it is set as items arrive. When you press sync on email it syncs everything including calendar and contacts. Last step if nothing works... Go to settings, email and accounts and long press on outlook and press sync

It's weird.. I've tried both of your suggestions above, to no avail. One thing I have noticed is that in my settings/email accounts under 'Windows Live' (when I setup the phone, it sets up a Windows Live account, Outlook is only for Exchange/Office 365), the only checkbox is for email. I took a picture of my Arrive with my Lumia (attached below). I've tried tapping and holding and hitting 'sync' over and over hoping it will sync everybody, but nooooooooooooooooooope. In my Lumia, under 'Microsoft Account', it only has a checkbox for email as well. I really wonder what the issue is.

WP_20130319_001.jpg

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would reset and try again. Ensure you have data and WiFi connection. Hopefully this fixes it..

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey, folks... follow-up time!

I tried all of the advice in this thread and (unfortunately) nothing worked. So I decided to take matters in my own hands and get to work. I experimented with a few various letters of the alphabet worth of my contacts. I went to Sign In, deleted the Live/Outlook contact fully and then created a new version. I then linked them to their appropriate social networks, etc. Then finally I went on my phone and synced the Windows Live account.

VOILA. The contact synced over perfectly.

So I then went one by one thru all of my contacts and redid each contact. I now have all of my contacts synced to my phone. I'm not sure if I do a hard reset, if it will stay (I've taken too much time to risk it!) but hopefully it does.

Hopefully this can help anyone else who needs it. Luckily, I don't have a crazy amount of Live/Outlook contacts... it may be too much if you do, but it's definitely worth it to finally have all of my contacts!

NOW, why this fixes the problem is what is weird to me... maybe Microsoft changed something in their contacts display protocol? Maybe because I had originally imported my contacts from Google to Live a LONG time ago is what made certain ones appear and not all? I can only speculate... but I can't figure out what it is.

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems like this problem is associated with WP 7.8. I've had the same issue on 2 separate phone HD7 & DVP, it required me editing the contact online and then syncing just as iknowsingh did. Most of the contacts synced but not all

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't see this problem in my case. All my contacts sync perfectly to my Lumia 710 running 7.8, even though I've switched my Hotmail to Outlook just recently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss