Windows Phone Program Management: Microsoft: Upgrade Facebook App for Windows Phone 7.8

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Facebook is a key application for Windows Phone.
All users, who have trusted and now have smartphones equipped with Windows Phone 7.8, deserve full support from Microsoft.
You can sign this petition, guys ;)

www.change.org/.../windows-phone-program-management-microsoft-upgrade-facebook-app-for-windows-phone-7-8

WE CAN NOT BE LEFT BEHIND SERIOUSLY.
I for one have been expecting this app look and features since android and ios updated theirs and now MS has finally brought it and leaving me behind? this is NOGO.

Please MS, bring it to WP 7.X...simple as that.

Mark Everingham

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying that it will definitely make its way to WP7.8 but the current version everyone is moaning about being WP8 only is in BETA its not an upgrade to facebook, you have to link directly to it to download a separate App from the existing facebook app.
Simple as that.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that it will definitely make its way to WP7.8 but the current version everyone is moaning about being WP8 only is in BETA its not an upgrade to facebook, you have to link directly to it to download a separate App from the existing facebook app.
Simple as that.

WP7.x users can be BETA testers too.

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I just wish I could put 7.8 on my Titan II.

Why cant you do that? I have put WP7.8 on my titan2, using that SevenEighter application.

I only wish I could update my APN for MMS. Plus I wish the HTC navigation was better.... and Bing Maps... and the Facebook livetile... plus HTC Hub keeps coming up blank.... and it would be nice if Tango worked.... and if I could hide my skydrive pictures... and if only I could monitor my data consumption....

Last edited:

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
WP7 has been supported from Oct 2010 to April 2013. 2 years 5 months.
By Nokia..... but MSFT has been doing the ABSOLUTE bare minimum to support WP7.

A Microsoft spokesman stated in an interview that 7.x phones COULD be upgraded to WP8... but Microsoft chose not to, because it was a waste of resources to support us.

They only introduced 7.8, because of the uproar from their announcement that WP7 phones wouldnt be upgradeable to WP8.
WP7.8 took a VERY long time to be released, it adds minimal functionality... and it had HUGE bugs. All 7.8 does is allow you to resize tiles..... and they couldnt even get that right.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

A Microsoft spokesman stated in an interview that 7.x phones COULD be upgraded to WP8... but Microsoft chose not to, because it was a waste of resources to support us.

They only introduced 7.8, because of the uproar from their announcement that WP7 phones wouldnt be upgradeable to WP8.
WP7.8 took a VERY long time to be released, it adds minimal functionality... and it had HUGE bugs. All 7.8 does is allow you to resize tiles..... and they couldnt even get that right.

Even before 7.8 announcement, WP7 would have been supported two years. Of course Microsoft supported WP7, by releasing WP7.1, WP7.5 and WP7.8

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I get your frustration. I was there when I found out that the 900 wasn't getting WP8. That said, I think most of realized that a lot of apps/updates/features simply won't come to 7.8. While it stinks, it is the nature of the beast. You probably don't want to here this but it is time to upgrade to a WP8 phone.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
You probably don't want to here this but it is time to upgrade to a WP8 phone.

Actually, given the whole ordeal, it's turned me off entirely from wanting to affiliate myself with WP after my WP7, and I imagine lots of others feel the same. Why go back to what burnt you? Like some abusive relationship.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, given the whole ordeal, it's turned me off entirely from wanting to affiliate myself with WP after my WP7, and I imagine lots of others feel the same. Why go back to what burnt you? Like some abusive relationship.

I do understand this. Thing is, all signs point to that sort of situation not happening again. WP8 was entirely different than WP7 because of things like a kernel change (which won't happen again anytime soon).

Consider this: iOS devices get updates for a long time but the updates often leave features out that either won't run on the device or they choose to leave out to encourage you to buy a new device. Android is incredibly hit or miss when it comes to updates of any nature. WP is hardly unusual when it comes to update issues.

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I do understand this. Thing is, all signs point to that sort of situation not happening again. WP8 was entirely different than WP7 because of things like a kernel change (which won't happen again anytime soon).

Consider this: iOS devices get updates for a long time but the updates often leave features out that either won't run on the device or they choose to leave out to encourage you to buy a new device. Android is incredibly hit or miss when it comes to updates of any nature. WP is hardly unusual when it comes to update issues.

I am sure they said the same thing, when Microsoft deserted windows mobile 6.5

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Well, if Microsoft had used their resources to put WP8 on WP7 devices, WP8 updates would probably take a lot longer, and I know people here are also going to complain about that.

I'm not saying it was the right thing to do (it certainly wasn't very nice of Microsoft) but I understand why they did it. I was prepared to hear Microsoft say that WP7 devices wouldn't be upgraded, but I think many others were surprised. I knew that upgrading wasn't impossible (despite many people saying it would), but I also knew that it would be a lot of work, and that maybe Microsoft wouldn't have enough time or something.

I am sure they said the same thing, when Microsoft deserted windows mobile 6.5

You really think Microsoft is going to abandon WP8?

Windows Mobile 6.5 wasn't even on the roadmap, it was actually a stopgap for Windows Mobile 7. WM7 ended up being scrapped in favor of Windows Phone 7. I'm not sure what kind of support you expected from Microsoft for Windows Mobile. Did you want Microsoft to have two mobile operating systems? Should Microsoft have stuck to Windows Mobile despite worsening sales?

tqlla3k

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
You really think Microsoft is going to abandon WP8?
There was a Windows Mobile 7 that they abandoned without an upgrade path? That makes it even worse.

They abandoned their last two Phone OS's before WP8. I am prepared to hear Microsoft say that WP8 devices won't be upgraded, but I think many others may be surprised.

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
There was a Windows Mobile 7 that they abandoned without an upgrade path? That makes it even worse.

They abandoned their last two Phone OS's before WP8. I am prepared to hear Microsoft say that WP8 devices won't be upgraded, but I think many others may be surprised.

No, Windows Mobile 7 was being developed, but they decided to scrap it during development and went with Windows Phone 7. I think it's codename was Photon.

Windows Mobile 7 would have been similar to WM6 and 6.5, but it would have been more of the same. People were leaving for iPhones, and starting to leave for Android so that's why Microsoft created Windows Phone 7 with the live tiles and such.

There would be no reason for WP8 devices not to be upgraded. With Windows Mobile, people were jumping ship anyway, and Android seemed to be the next logical step for those who liked custom ROMs. Windows Phone 7 was a stopgap (Microsoft seems to love those) for Windows Phone 8. Maybe if Microsoft could hit their deadlines maybe WP8 would be further ahead than it is now. Maybe WP7 users wouldn't have been left behind, I don't know.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Lets be realistic, is anyone expecting MS to keep upgrading old devices ad infinitum? At some point WP8 devices will not get updates anymore, should everyone start throwing tantrums and claiming they wont buy WP ever again because they have been betrayed? No phone is kept updated to the latest available OS with all the new features forever, if there is such a platform its probably best that people move to that one and forget about WP.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It will be avaible on 7.8 after beta ends.

You've said something relieving but how sure are you?. I just hope you are right but fear for the worst because of Past experiences with Windows Phone and Microsoft. Just wish they'll come out with something official to stop us all from worrying.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Lets be realistic, is anyone expecting MS to keep upgrading old devices ad infinitum? At some point WP8 devices will not get updates anymore, should everyone start throwing tantrums and claiming they wont buy WP ever again because they have been betrayed? No phone is kept updated to the latest available OS with all the new features forever, if there is such a platform its probably best that people move to that one and forget about WP.
Unlike some people, I never really expected my phone to get updated to WP8. I'm actually fine with that. What I don't like is the way that MS handled the app situation. We're seeing a lot of WP8 only apps coming out now that could easily support WP7 but don't because MS made it a pain to to support both versions. It looks like the new Facebook app might be the same way.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Unlike some people, I never really expected my phone to get updated to WP8. I'm actually fine with that. What I don't like is the way that MS handled the app situation. We're seeing a lot of WP8 only apps coming out now that could easily support WP7 but don't because MS made it a pain to to support both versions. It looks like the new Facebook app might be the same way.

Well I think someone said that it's easier to port an iOS or Android app to WP8, but it isn't true for WP7 or something like that. Then I think there are some new APIs that are only available on WP8.

I'm hoping a developer or someone who understands all this can stop by and explain all of this to us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss