Is WP7 still a viable option for some users over WP8?

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Just curious if anyone would recommend a WP7 device over a newer WP8 device for a particular segment of the population and if so which one (population segment and device)?

silverbladex

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
There really isn't much. There are few new apps that will work on both wp8and 7. Everything is being optimized for the latest phones and Zune marketplace is being killed off soon too so you're going to be left behind if you get wp7.

ominaxe

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, it depends on what you want to do with the phone. Do you need a phone that works really well, or do you need a phone that can do everything?

Do you need a phone that is fast, reliable, and smooth, does basic chat/SMS/facebook and integrates really well, and Does OKAY with point and shooting? WP7 is the best.
Do you need a phone that has the latest and greatest applications, has more stuff, does the previous stuff fairly well, has the best hardware, but loses reliability and smoothness? WP8 is for you.

Keep in mind that it won't be upgraded and won't continue to have support. But I don't really think it needs it because it is a really reliable phone and it can stand on it's own two feet.
It really depends on if you need the applications. If I didn't need applications, I would go back to WP7.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
For me, yes.

First of all, the Lumia 510 is available here for $80. Think about it. The newer Asha phones are available at the $60-$100 price point. And, they're still not as powerful as the Lumia 510.
Second, WP7 does not suffer a lot of the bugs that plague WP8. (A massive bonus is that even 4GB phones are usable)
Third, Zune > Music+Video. Though, this'll likely change in the next few months.

Lastly, I really want to have a Lumia with hardware buttons.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd say the only people who might still be using a WP7 device are those who are in contract and are waiting for upgrade eligibility. That's the only reason I'm still using a WP7 device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077