Why are people still using wp7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
For many, it may be contractual obligations; for some, it just may be economics - no matter how 'cheap' some of the WP devices may be to some people, there are some who simply cannot manage the upgrade, financially, at this time.

I chose to purchase a new Lumia 900 contract free in Nov 2012 because I really didn't see the Lumia 920 as offering me anything significant enough for my needs to warrant the addition $250 I would have had to pay for it.

I will be getting a Lumia 1020 soon, off contract; I just purchase a Lumia 520, which I will gift to a relative. With that said, my Lumia 900 works like a charm, and if it weren't for the camera on the 1020, I'd probably continue to use my Lumia 900.

I just wish that some WP users wouldn't disparage those still using WP7.x devices by telling them to 'upgrade already' or by making flippant comments such as 'don't be so cheap, just upgrade'...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just wish that some WP users wouldn't disparage those still using WP7.x devices by telling them to 'upgrade already' or by making flippant comments such as 'don't be so cheap, just upgrade'...

You won't hear that from me! There are a few advantages to WP7. I swallowed hard after switching from WP7 to WP8. In some ways I wish I still had WP7, although overall I prefer WP8.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
When you have the Lumia 520/521 going for less than a $100 off contract, theres really not an excuse to PURCHASE a WP7 device

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It's expensive, and it's not that much better. (Got a free 8x, and I gave it away, just like my Titan)

You can better get a BB10 phone.

Post count 1 and you registered today. And this is what you contributed? Suggesting BB10? Oohhhhkkk...

As for WP7, I still have my Lumia 800 as a back up phone. But I think I may sell it now that I picked up the 520 for less than $50. But many people are still on contract for another year. And the 520 os technically a downgrade hardware wise from a phone like the Lumia 900. So, even at that cheap price, many people may not feel it's worth the switch yet.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I still have my Lumia 800. There is nothing out there that really makes me want to buy another phone right now. I kind of like the 925 but not enough to change. I like the 920 too but its just a bigger 800 to me so again, I'll stick with what I have. When my 800 breaks or stops holding a decent charge I'll see what's out there. Whatever I end up getting when the time comes I will think is awesome for a week then it too will just be a phone to keep until it breaks :)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
People make their decisions based on their wants or needs. New is usually better but to some may not be that much better. I'm glad I made the change from 7.8 to 8.0 but I was in no hurry to do so. 7.8 for the most part was working for me and I kept using my 900 about 6 months after I was eligible for my upgrade. My wife has a 920 and while I liked it I didn't want to get a year old phone so I waited until something I wanted came alone. To be honest if Nokia hadn't released the 1520 I'd still be using my 900 and waiting.

In the end we all make the choices that we believe is best for us.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I went from a HTC Trophy on Verizon to the Lumia 928, which lasted about 5 months before I dropped it on the interstate and watched it cause a 9 car pile up before it finally broke (kidding about the toughness, but it did get lost). Now I'm back to the Trophy while I wait for the Lumia 929/Icon to be released. It kills me to see all the cool stuff coming out for WP8 but I'm being responsible and waiting for my money to pile back up before I go buy a new phone off contract.

sianto

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Post count 1 and you registered today. And this is what you contributed? Suggesting BB10? Oohhhhkkk...

As for WP7, I still have my Lumia 800 as a back up phone. But I think I may sell it now that I picked up the 520 for less than $50. But many people are still on contract for another year. And the 520 os technically a downgrade hardware wise from a phone like the Lumia 900. So, even at that cheap price, many people may not feel it's worth the switch yet.

Hey, I didn't officially registered today (look at my profile), I am also a former WP7 rom cook on xda. I still like WP, but it has it's shortcomings. (Secretly also loving BB10, don't tell anyone)

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I didn't officially registered today (look at my profile), I am also a former WP7 rom cook on xda. I still like WP, but it has it's shortcomings. (Secretly also loving BB10, don't tell anyone)

Weird, that's what your profile says on the wpcentral app.

XXNUZ

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked Lumia 900: $200. Unlocked Lumia 920 (at the time I bought my Lumia 900): $1,200

Sent from my purple velociraptor.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Glad to see you here. I had one of your ROMs on my previous Titan, nice work.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Titan for over 2 years and it's still my daily driver on AT&T. I recently purchased a Lumia 521 to test out T-Mobile and I like what I see (both T-Mobile and WP8). I am looking for my next phone but it's not going to be on contract. And I want to switch my 2 lines to T-Mobile. I'm probably waiting for a 929-spec'd phone that has full T-Mo bands. So I have no idea how long I may have to wait. The 521 will go to my wife when we switch to T-Mo. Honestly, my Titan runs fast and still works great...

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Only $235 dollars you say? Awesome, why doesn't everyone get one? In fact, why don't we all fly to the moon on our jet-pigs and drink champagne from hollowed out dinosaw bones coated in gold and platinum?

Not everyone lives in the same socio-economic bubble, not everyone can pull hundreds of dollars out of their pockets at the drop of a hat. Not everyone lives in America, not everyone is rich, not everyone wants that phone.

That's why.

I'll tell you something though. I totally get what you're saying. But the very MICROSECOND I see these folks signing new contracts with big carriers like AT&T, and paying thousands of dollars over the 2 year period I will call it what it is: bad financial management. If you can afford $150/mo on over-priced cell service, you can most certainly afford to save money for an off-contract phone over a few months.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Contracts on WP7.5/7.8 phones may still be locked. I know my contract on my original Titan just recently ended. I remember buying it Black Friday weekend, actually. Either $1 or $0.01, can't remember. Haha.

I paid $100 but I think I got them to give me the $100 back, so it was free. Worked out great. And I will not switch to a smaller phone. 1520 may be too big though. And I need the RM-938 to switch to T-Mo anyway. So I wait.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The contract for my Lumia 900 ended in October, but it works fine for me at this point. I'm waiting for the new year to see what Nokia has in store for Window Phone 8.1. I'd prefer to buy a WP 8.1 device as soon as they come out instead of waiting for the upgrade on, say, a Lumia 920.

Yes, I would like to wait for a native 8.1 device, especially if 8.1 will bring a rush of hardware changes. Sorry for the post barrage...interesting thread.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought my dad a 2nd hand Lumia 900 for ~200 dollars because it was the best device I could get him with a big screen and a terrific GPS. He would've liked the phone to have our language, Romanian, but oh well. (I have to check XDA for that)

Some 2 days after I received the phone I found the L625 for ~175 dollars. That would've been the better deal but it wasn't available at the needed time. Even the L720 was 230. It just wasn't in my budget :(

So there you have a reason why there is one more person "stuck" on WP7.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When you have the Lumia 520/521 going for less than a $100 off contract, theres really not an excuse to PURCHASE a WP7 device
that is true except then they will become wp8 people complaining about why this app won't work with their phones....so perhaps they don't want the cheap devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99