password expires?

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just had this pop up on my lock screen earlier today and I have no idea what it is for......
"Your password expires in 5 days, would you like to renew yes/no" or something like that, in a big black popup box similar to those 'your low on space' warnings,(not a toast that you can swipe away) so im assuming its somewhat official.
I declined and now I have no idea where to even start with this.....I don't know what password it is referring to and I don't have any idea of any services that are going to be shut down/upgraded anytime soon.

Anyone ever had this happen? I don't even know if I should ask this here (still using a Lumia 710) or if its a windows thing and I should try the 8 or 8.1 forum.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it have some company policy enabled? I know Outlook.xom has some change password every 90 days option, that would be my guess.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Alright I figured a reboot might get that message back, and it did. So instead of declining I decided to try some password to see if I can eliminate options. First things first, I figured I should try my lockscreen password. Its short and can be changed whenever.
So current password = current lock screen password
new password = 0000
result? No more message...WTF?
So the message was referring to my lockscreen password as expiring? The heck? since when did the lockscreen have an expiry date lol.

I had suspected it might have been something to do with outlook since that's what I was able to gather online...but...nope...it was my lock screen password lol.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Alright I figured a reboot might get that message back, and it did. So instead of declining I decided to try some password to see if I can eliminate options. First things first, I figured I should try my lockscreen password. Its short and can be changed whenever.
So current password = current lock screen password
new password = 0000
result? No more message...WTF?
So the message was referring to my lockscreen password as expiring? The heck? since when did the lockscreen have an expiry date lol.

I had suspected it might have been something to do with outlook since that's what I was able to gather online...but...nope...it was my lock screen password lol.

has this ever been a company phone?
or hooked into a corporate network, like maybe in a BYOD program?
just wondering..

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Nope, was always my personal phone. I did have to manually unlock it (and update it) using the cab sender/seven-eighter method, since it was a Tmobile branded device and I live in Canada on the Telus network and I couldn't get an unlock code anywhere for it. Dunno if that would have done anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo