Isn't Microsoft being partial towards WP8 users.
    Why Microsoft don't want to give update to WP7 users, Lumia 800 was the first device from nokia running on Microsoft OS we trusted it & bought it.

But now there is a a number of news and updates for WP8 & for WP7 it seems that WP7 doesn't exists.

We are stuck at a place where there is no update, neither we can install 3rd party app & even the bootloader is locked..

If Microsoft is not interested in giving update for WP7 users they should atleast allow us to install third party apps or have a unlocked bootloader..

This brings me to a very important question.
    Has Microsoft forgot WP7 users ?
    Then why did Microsoft announced that they will give support to WP7 till September 2014, just to gain the market?

I request you to please forward this message to the core department of Microsoft.
    04-21-2014 05:48 AM
    Microsoft has already stopped support foe WP7. Im afraid this message, even if it gets to Microsoft, wont make any difference
    04-21-2014 05:51 AM
    I know it is sad. But you must understand that the hardware in those phones, even if Microsoft did provide updates, wouldn't be able to handle much. Moreover, it would be unwise to provide any further updates for those phones, if Microsoft wants WP8 to gain market share (WP7 still owns around 15% of the market).
    Also, they promised to provide security updates till 2014. It was pretty obvious that the old devices would not get any more feature updates beyond 7.8.
    I am a Lumia 800 user myself. And while it does feel bad that this phone is not paid attention now, it is the best course of direction for Microsoft.

WP7 should be killed now. It offers a degraded experience and increases negativity about the Windows Phone platform. Besides, how much do you want to extract out of a 3 year old phone?
    It works exactly the same as it did then. So why complain? It has already come a long way.
    Let the first Lumia have a peaceful end.
    04-21-2014 05:59 AM
    That's the point when WP7 is having 15% market share then why Microsoft is ignoring it...will these 15% users will buy a WP again...i think mostly the answer is NO...& not every person can upgrade their phones...
    04-22-2014 01:04 AM
    You bought the phone for what it was able to do then.
    And even now it does the exact same things with the exact same fluidity. Remember this, never buy anything for what it is promised to be in the future. Always buy it for what it is in the present.

As i said, i too feel bad that these WP7 phones won't be supported anymore. But hey, they have already received 4 updates from Microsoft. NoDo, Mango, Tango, Wp7.8. So i think that there isn't much to complain about.
    04-22-2014 02:16 AM
    Isn't Microsoft being partial towards WP8 users.
    Why Microsoft don't want to give update to WP7 users, Lumia 800 was the first device from nokia running on Microsoft OS we trusted it & bought it.

But now there is a a number of news and updates for WP8 & for WP7 it seems that WP7 doesn't exists.

We are stuck at a place where there is no update, neither we can install 3rd party app & even the bootloader is locked..

If Microsoft is not interested in giving update for WP7 users they should atleast allow us to install third party apps or have a unlocked bootloader..

This brings me to a very important question.
    Has Microsoft forgot WP7 users ?
    Then why did Microsoft announced that they will give support to WP7 till September 2014, just to gain the market?

I request you to please forward this message to the core department of Microsoft.
    Everything has an end-of-life. I understand MS decision to move on.

I can tell you as an original Lumia 900 owner (I'm now rockin an HTC 8S) you may find this hard to believe, but your not really missing that much with WP8.

Yes, there are a lot of new, cool apps, but I found at the end of the day, WP7.8 was fine for me. For one, Zune is MUCH better than Xbox music. The 7.8 People Hub is better, in my option , than in 8.1. And most of the apps I really wanted and needed were in 7.8.

Understand your frustration. I wad there too. But as an 8.1 user now, I can say that 7.8 was more than adequate for me..

Kinda miss my 900...
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-04-2014 05:07 AM
    It also saddens me that Microsoft isn't updating the WP7 line. I have a Lumia 900 which I bought only last year (I wanted a 920 but the budget isn't enough). The apps available are limited and there are no new features to be released, but still it's a very reliable phone.

For me, it's okay that Microsoft isn't releasing any unlocked bootloader or enables 3rd party apps. It's probably their way of protecting their devices from instability. WP7.8 may not be as useful as WP8.1 now, but during its time, it has and it will still serve a great purpose to their owners.
    05-24-2014 02:02 AM
    As the owner of an HTC 7 Pro (the last Windows Phone with a slide out keyboard), I think Microsoft should have made their Phone OS like the desktop one so you can just buy an upgrade (eg to 8.1) and install it. If its good enough for the wide variety of desktop computers out there, I can't see why such a scheme shouldn't work with Phones as long as clear minimum system requirements are specified as well (just as they do with the desktop OS). Other than lacking NFC hardware, my phone meets the hardware requirements of WP 8.x. It does have a proper keyboard however so Microsoft would need to include appropriate drivers.

I would update the phone altogether if I could but Microsoft's OEMs have stopped making replacements with proper keyboards and I don't want a 'slab phone'. With the increased reliance on phones for multimedia eg iPlayer/streamed TV, with its ability to sit on the keyboard base and have its screen tilt up, this phone is ideal for watching pre-recorded or streaming TV on the train but the lack of current OS/software compatibility is the only thing that's limiting it.
    05-25-2014 01:52 AM