11-17-2014 03:56 PM
53 123
tools
    I understand the need to back up your decision of sticking with Windows Phone 7.x by advocating the pros of it, but insulting Windows Phone 8.x by bashing it is unnecessary and saying it doesn't work is simply untrue.

This is coming from a former Lumia 710 user. Yes, 7.5 and 7.8 were great, but they were by no means better than their successors in most ways.
    i understand the need to move on.

but its not just me saying it.

there are a ton of complaints about the music, video, and other apps.

the core stuff works fine. phone calls,sms, photos, and basic things.

its these other uses that are causing the problems.
    to me they are critical.

you can only hope they get fixed in the future.

later
    09-01-2014 03:27 PM
    i understand the need to move on.

but its not just me saying it.

there are a ton of complaints about the music, video, and other apps.

the core stuff works fine. phone calls,sms, photos, and basic things.

its these other uses that are causing the problems.
    to me they are critical.

you can only hope they get fixed in the future.

later
    I don't think there's anything wrong with video. The only major things I'd like to see are a more polished music app, the settings list organized, Wi-Fi toggles on from the notification center, and actionable notifications.

I wouldn't say anything is "broken", I just think there's some refinement to be done in certain areas. I see how some of these things can be important to you though, and we're all hoping they'll be fixed in the future.
    09-01-2014 07:59 PM
    Wp8.1 is an enormous improvement over wp7. 8.1 feels full featured, 7 feels half baked. There may be things that were done better (like the consolidated messages in one hub), but get a device with a fast processor (I went from a Lumia 710 to a 930) and apps open fast. Messaging apps have full features now that its split apart, updates come faster, you have access to apps you could never get on wp7, list goes on.
    09-04-2014 04:38 PM
    I recently setup my Lumia 900 so my girl could use it on our camping trip. I still think it's a nice device. It runs smooth and still has a nice selection of apps/games. However, I couldn't see myself returning to the WP7 platform, especially not for Zune.

The Zune software is great, no doubt about that. In fact, I still have a grandfathered Zune Pass, I'm just using it for Xbox Music now. The Xbox Music app has come a long way since first release. Songs don't take forever to load, playlists can now be synced between devices and the live tile is finally back! It's no Zune but it does get the job done.

Admittedly, it helps that I have a Windows 8 tablet and PC. There's no Xbox Music desktop app for Windows 7 so users are forced to do everything through the phone. I prefer to do everything through Windows 8 and sync it with my phone. That's basically what I did with Zune.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-05-2014 08:52 AM
    Wp8.1 is an enormous improvement over wp7. 8.1 feels full featured, 7 feels half baked.
    there arent any features missing for me.

8 and 8.1 are missing features i use. and from reports i read, there are a lot
    of issues and a beta feel to the whole operating system with updates that
    dont work for everyone, and a slow creeping feel to adding features that used to
    work in the past and dont now.

There may be things that were done better (like the consolidated messages in one hub), but get a device with a fast processor (I went from a Lumia 710 to a 930) and apps open fast.
    i dont notice any speed issues with 7.
    i have never seen a resume screen.

updates come faster.
    there are no updates for 7.5 / 7.8,
    so that comparison means nothing.

later
    09-06-2014 12:54 PM
    I use Line and whatsapp, and they loaded SLOW (especially line) on my Lumia 710. Its near instantaneous on my 930 now with the massively more powerful processor. Plus I get access to the sticker store in Line that I didn't get on the 710, and I can do voice calls (I don't use but its there). Facebook Messenger now has sticker access and all that fun stuff. And then I realized, I use whatsapp, I use Line, and that means ive used separate messaging apps already since they were never built into the messaging hub. It was a little annoying when I had to keep pressing that switch button to switch between FB chat and text chat before cuz sometimes I just open it up and want to chat right away and didn't realize I was in the wrong chat.

At least that's my experience with the messaging hub between WP7 and WP8.1 and why I think the hub isn't as great as it first appeared.

Oh and when apps load way faster now...trust me its a good thing. You'll notice that right away (its more of a more recent hardware thing than it is the operating system). Facebook app loads a ton faster too (I never used the me hub in WP7, it always missed some stuff. Its even more useless in WP8.1)

-Photo hub background image is gone now, but it doesn't matter, don't miss it. I realize it was a nice splash screen but when you're just going straight to the picture list you don't get a background anyways. Plus with the files app you can move your pics around and create subfolders for them (I wish it could be done from the photo hub though). And you can select multiple pics now.

-Xbox music seems to work fine now at this point, similar to Zune now. But its still a bit clumsy compared to it. I never really used it more than just 'play all' or 'play playlist' so I cant say much more other than its basic functionality for both works.

-The text grabbing is a bit easier this go around but not by much....it does have the two circles underneath the lines but that doesn't seem to help as much as it seems.

Email feels the same, contact list can actually be filtered by numbers only so I don't have a million contacts....
    List goes on :)
    prasath1234 likes this.
    09-06-2014 02:08 PM
    While Music is basically **** on WP 8.1, I wouldn't go as far as WP 7. WP8 Black for me. I would actually go back to that.
    09-06-2014 08:11 PM
    Get a Zune HD. I am still rocking it.
    09-06-2014 10:01 PM
    Get a Zune HD. I am still rocking it.
    Had one, a 32G one, but windows phone 7 eliminates the need for another device for me.

later
    09-07-2014 10:46 AM
    At least that's my experience with the messaging hub between WP7 and WP8.1 and why I think the hub isn't as great as it first appeared.

Oh and when apps load way faster now...trust me its a good thing. You'll notice that right away (its more of a more recent hardware thing than it is the operating system). Facebook app loads a ton faster too (I never used the me hub in WP7, it always missed some stuff. Its even more useless in WP8.1)

Email feels the same, contact list can actually be filtered by numbers only so I don't have a million contacts....
    List goes on :)
    i rarely use apps, so those comparisons dont apply for me.

i dont use photos or email either, so its a moot point also.

later
    09-07-2014 10:49 AM
    You should buy a zune HD and a new windows phone. That way you can get all the latest apps and features and still have the zone experience. Problem solved.
    berty6294 likes this.
    09-07-2014 10:56 AM
    I am currently using dvp 7.8. I broke my 920 last week so I'm trying to wait for that glass replacement to change it. You can feel the lag and missing features on 7.8.
    09-13-2014 10:21 PM
    You should buy a zune HD and a new windows phone. That way you can get all the latest apps and features and still have the zone experience. Problem solved.
    i don't need 2 devices. that's what i said.

there is NO windows phone 8/8.1 with a hardware keyboard.

that's not an option.

later
    09-17-2014 11:29 AM
    Is this a serious thread?

There are a lot of music player apps, and you can use ANY pc software for sync your music, for example Music Bee, a lot better that those horrible thing named Zune (the desktop application forced to use for sync music), you can sync your music on Windows, Mac or even Linux.

Really, I can't understand how people prefer WP7 than WP8.1 ...
    09-18-2014 06:04 PM
    Is this a serious thread?

There are a lot of music player apps, and you can use ANY pc software for sync your music, for example Music Bee, a lot better that those horrible thing named Zune (the desktop application forced to use for sync music), you can sync your music on Windows, Mac or even Linux.

Really, I can't understand how people prefer WP7 than WP8.1 ...
    music is just one thing, (although a main one for me).

did you miss the part about a HARDWARE KEYBOARD?

windows phone 8/8.1 don't even support bluetooth keyboards.

later
    09-22-2014 01:08 AM
    You don't use apps, you don't use email, you don't use camera...
    it sounds like you don't even need a smartphone,
    you can get by with any kind of feature phone or any kind of old smartphone that can play music.
    09-23-2014 01:08 AM
    music is just one thing, (although a main one for me).

did you miss the part about a HARDWARE KEYBOARD?

windows phone 8/8.1 don't even support bluetooth keyboards.

later
    Windows Phone 8 is worse because OEM don't build phones with keyboard?... Lol...

I can tell a lot of "WP7 can't do this", and things more important than hardware keyboard.
    09-23-2014 09:41 AM
    You don't use apps, you don't use email, you don't use camera...
    it sounds like you don't even need a smartphone,
    you can get by with any kind of feature phone or any kind of old smartphone that can play music.
    i have a few xbox live games.

also, i use browser, and some office features which are good
    with the keyboard.

all the extra stuff, like camera, gps, are just a bonus.

finally, for $75 total cost, i own the phone, which does a lot
    more than my zune hd, which was more expensive.

i have a surface pro, and use windows and microsoft products,
    which integrates with a windows phone better than a feature phone.

i have no real complaints with windows phone 7.x so i dont
    see the need in upgrading, until they can make something equally as good.

if they keep eliminating and degrading key features,
    what incentive do i have to upgrade to an inferior experience.

later
    09-23-2014 03:08 PM
    What features are you referring to that are broken? Aside from Xbox music not quite on par with Zune ( I despised Zune btw, just like I hate iTunes. And it's not that it's horrible, it works. At least its working the same way I've used it. But I don't go playlist crazy and whatnot. Just play music, make it shuffle, done) every thing wp7 did is the same as wp8.1 as far as I can tell.
    09-23-2014 04:28 PM
    What features are you referring to that are broken? Aside from Xbox music not quite on par with Zune ( I despised Zune btw, just like I hate iTunes. And it's not that it's horrible, it works. At least its working the same way I've used it. But I don't go playlist crazy and whatnot. Just play music, make it shuffle, done) every thing wp7 did is the same as wp8.1 as far as I can tell.
    Also important to note is that users running windows 7 on their desktop or computer have a different experience then those running windows 8. 7 has no Xbox music app to sync to we are left with a horridly basic sync app to sync music and pics to our phone. So without Zune synching you're stuck using the pathetic sync app or windows media player.
    09-23-2014 06:41 PM
    too many to name,
    start here:
    ===========================
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...s-defects.html

later
    09-23-2014 10:10 PM
    It really depends on one's needs and perspective. I find Windows Phone 8.1 is a more complete smartphone package overall, but some features of WP7.8 are more mature in some aspects (or at least the UI is preferable in some ways for things like the Music and Hub features). It's not hard to get the best of both worlds if one doesn't mind carrying 2 devices at times. For example my main phone is the Lumia 928 and that is all I carry usually. However, on long trips I will take my old HTC Trophy to save on battery and enjoy the improved music functionality. My wife uses the HTC 8x but when we travel she'll also carry the Lumia 520 with a 64GB microSD for her large collection (she doesn't care about the differences in the WP7.8 music feature vs the WP8.1 music features).

A note for those still using the HTC Trophy: even though WP7 can be updated to 7.10.8862.144 there is still another firmware update that is available. Even after installing the latest WP7.8 updates I was using the Zune software and happened to check for updates - there is a newer firmware update that was loaded (I don't recall what the versions were nor any changes that resulted). Sorry if that is old news but it may help some folk that hold onto the WP7 dinosaurs (like me).
    09-25-2014 12:20 PM
    too many to name,
    start here:
    ===========================
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...s-defects.html

later
    Lol.. some time ago, there were similar threads for WP7.
    09-25-2014 09:53 PM
    Can't rate music on the phone, a very handy way to organize ones music collection. When I try to shuffle my playlist it continues to shuffle through the same 30-40 songs in similar order even though the playlist has 1500 songs! Isn't shuffle supposed to be random?
    09-26-2014 01:54 AM
    the thing is, the 7.x has stabilized, so that everything works
    as it did with final fixes. which is fine.

also this phone has a replaceable battery, unlike newer ones.

gsmare10.jpg
    later
    09-27-2014 12:58 PM
53 123