Are you still using a WP7 Device?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No cut and paste until NoDo, no file browser, no external expansion, no internet sharing until Mango, no email attachments except pictures, crippled bluetooth profiles, no customization. Ugh, I'm getting tired here.

Explain to me again how WP7 was so amazing compared to WinMo?

I actually edited out my praise for WM6.5 by mistake. Cannot believe it took this long to have contact/SMS backup on WP8.1 ...
On a technical level WP7 was innovative, regardless of missing features.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
On a technical level WP7 was innovative, regardless of missing features.

WP7 was WinCE-based like WinMo. It wasn't until WP8 that MS switched to the NT kernel. WP7 was a severely crippled iteration of WinMo. If it wasn't for Cotulla and the Dark Forces Team to unlock the bootloaders, those early HTC devices would have been next to useless. At least the LG Quantum had an onboard registry editor to unlock it and make it capable of ROM flashing without much fuss. The Samsungs could be Interop unlocked but not dev unlocked so xap sideloading was about all you could do with them.

Don't get me wrong, WP7 was a lot zippier than WP8. But WinMo was, and is, a LOT more functional than anything Microsoft has done since.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WP7 was WinCE-based like WinMo. It wasn't until WP8 that MS switched to the NT kernel. WP7 was a severely crippled iteration of WinMo. If it wasn't for Cotulla and the Dark Forces Team to unlock the bootloaders, those early HTC devices would have been next to useless. At least the LG Quantum had an onboard registry editor to unlock it and make it capable of ROM flashing without much fuss. The Samsungs could be Interop unlocked but not dev unlocked so xap sideloading was about all you could do with them.

Don't get me wrong, WP7 was a lot zippier than WP8. But WinMo was, and is, a LOT more functional than anything Microsoft has done since.
That's exactly why WP7 was amazing haha. Got to appreciate the engineering involved.
Functionality wise I'm still left disappointed...

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is the conundrum:

Yes, everything people say about WP8 is true and the future of WP is better served overall with an NT-based Kernel OS. BUT, having used both WP 7.X and 8.x phones I can tell you that, at least for me, the expereince is much better using 7.x. Smoother, faster, much better integration.

So, the conumdrum is: Do you want a better overall experience now OR better, more up-to-date, and more numerous apps and a continuously udated OS with some choppiness and less than optimal integration?

Of course going back to WP 7.x means either buying a used WP7 phone or a NOS with no/little support which ,over time, will be a dead end anyway. So this is all a mute point. I understand.

But maybe not. Many of these phones are still more that servicable and function quite well for all but the most demanding of users. Going back to WP7.x is more of a mental hangup than an actual lack of funtion - using a 3 year old phone with a walking-dead OS is too much to explain for many.

But for me, having owned a Lumia 900 at launch, switched to a HTC 8S, then a Blackberry Z3, then an ASUS Zenphone, I'm days away from getting a NOS Lumia 900 and heading back to 7x. I cant wait!

​Thats just me.

Last edited:

jmc99

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I still have a Dell Venue Pro, for me is an awesome device, i like it so much even in 2015 becouse it has got a physical keyboard. I have an android device also and for me Dell venue is better...

Sent from my Venue Pro using Tapatalk

Sam_Cook

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I still have a functioning LG Quantum. I've thought about using it again, primarily because I miss the physical keyboard. That, and the phone was built like a tank! I dropped it multiple times, yet it still kept up with me.

Ben Levi Giron

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I've not been a high tech buyer but always liked the topic. That's why I received in October the old Lumia 510 from my uncle and I still using it just because it's a 10 times better than my other phone (just imagine a world without any touch screen hahaha). But seriously, I have in mind to get a Lumia 830 or a HTC One M8 soon because I discovered a lot of productive stuff that I can make with a WP device.

hal1429

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I still use my HTC Titan as a wifi device and for the camera. It is still one of my favorite phone cameras ever. It did suck as a phone though. It sounded like you were talking underwater. I have since moved on to WP8 and Android and I like both.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Demos Wira Arjuna

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I still use my Lumia 710 (and the 2nd is lumia 730), using for browsing (internet explorer) that's feel great and using for sms, it's fluid.
the cons is only battery life, that's so sort.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
My trusty L900 has been serving up my daily podcasts while driving to and from work since getting my 920/930.

Saves some battery time on my L930 and some space also. I prefer the built-in podcast app to any paid app, even on my 930, so no loss there. And I don't think there are any issues with WP7 or WP8 with respect to podcasts.

Also, for a couple of months now, I've loaded W10M on my L920 for testing and also podcasts/music.

infoblues

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
A bit of an update.. Tried a few more phones in the meantime including Blackberry Torch 9810 (the only other good portrait slider smartphone still kinda available) and Amazon FirePhone (on the plus side excellent performance and more than enough app support but again no physical keyboard; I'd rather go with win 8 than android / android forks). In a weird way, I felt better about not giving my usage data to google (they already have everything else) and instead to blackberry and amazon, but again, you still gotta pick your poison. And in the end, I picked mine - good old Microsoft with the Dell, though I also upgraded to 7.8. Feel like going back to 7.5 (along with utshka's here maps). So I am going to try the LG Quantum this time. Just placed an order on ebay. It is also supposed to have one of the best SAR ratings (in case you need another reason to feel special) at <0.4 when most run > 1 with max permissible of 1.4 I think. Even though I am a very functionality oriented person and should have no problems with liking the extra rubberization on the quantum, the professional and elegant classy finish of the dell still give me reason to smile when I look at it. We'll see. And yes, I know the quantum is not a portrait slider. But I have a constant itch to try newer phones that are not expensive (and hence tend to be actually older new phones) and since I have learnt that physical keyboards are pretty much a given if I am going to like a phone even though I am not a heavy user of the keyboard, I thought I will give the quantum a try. Besides I do not have much of a choice there either :).

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
my LG quantum is giving me a SIM card error, after 2 years.

so i'm getting another replacement one, for $30 off ebay.

will stick with windows 7.8 and hardware keyboard.

however, if there is a bluetooth keyboard case, with windows 10 phone, i might switch,
we'll see.

i'll keep this just for the ZUNE music integration though.

later

harijaya

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I am. I have a Lumia 900 WP7. I find it really difficult to understand and manage the Zune software. So the phone is used for primary functions like call, SMS and taking photos.
When I connect my phone to pc, the Zune s/w launches and starts sync automatically. I can see that the phone memory space is getting reduced from the "phone" tab every time I connect the phone to the pc. I am not sure where "collection" tab (folder) is residing. There are photos and videos in this folder which I want to manage without connecting the phone. If the folder is in the pc, I want to delete the pictures and videos in the phone safely.
Secondly how do I use Zune s/w to delete the photos and videos in the phone.

Thanks

harijaya

Bradleykinz

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I started using my old samsung focus flash a week ago as a secondary device when my nokia lumia 1020 is charging. It still works surprising well. I only replaced it with the 1020 because it had water damage, which cause the battery life to be awful, even with a replacement battery. I did forget how small it was.

charish putta

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
A LUMIA 800 just love that thing. I use it occasionally when my 1020 is charging. I listen to music sometimes, but they never fixed that low volume bug though. I love using zune its just beautiful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes