Live journal with WP8,1 Developers Preview.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all !

First time I'm posting a thread :winktongue:

Okay. So I was thinking, since //build/ is going to be upon us in less than a week, with WP8.1 going to be announced then and the developers preview coming soon after that ( hopefully ), why not I do a 30 day journal / blog on my experience with WP8.1 ? I know some may ask why would I want to do such a thing. Well... I just want to share my experience with the whole WPCentral community with WP8.1, and you guys can share your individual thoughts/feelings/frustrations/excitement here about it here too ! I am asking here does anyone object to this, please speak now or forever hold your peace, otherwise I will go through with this project !

So here's how this 'live' journal will be done.

1. It will be done over a span of 30 days, starting from the day I install the developers preview.
2. I will do my best to update it everyday. If I am too busy, I will update it at least once a week.
3. Most of the updates will feature my thoughts/feelings on it, and also how it helps the WP platform. ( Rants/frustrations will be included to provide a wider view of WP8.1)

So yeah ! Here's how I will go about doing this 'live' journal ! Any questions/thoughts about it ? Hope you guys can support me in this !

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi all !

Okay. So I was thinking, since //build/ is going to be upon us in less than a week, with WP8.1 going to be announced then and the developers preview coming soon after that ( hopefully ), why not I do a 30 day journal / blog on my experience with WP8.1 ? I know some may ask why would I want to do such a thing. Well... I just want to share my experience with the whole WPCentral community with WP8.1, and you guys can share your individual thoughts/feelings/frustrations/excitement here about it here too ! I am asking here does anyone object to this, please speak now or forever hold your peace, otherwise I will go through with this project !

1. It will be done over a span of 30 days, starting from the day I install the developers preview.
2. I will do my best to update it everyday. If I am too busy, I will update it at least once a week.
3. Most of the updates will feature my thoughts/feelings on it, and also how it helps the WP platform. ( Rants/frustrations will be included to provide a wider view of WP8.1)

So yeah ! Here's how I will go about doing this 'live' journal ! Any questions/thoughts about it ? Hope you guys can support me in this !

good job brother!!!i have too subscribed for the developers preview !! so we sail on the same boat now ;)

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all !

I totally support you dude, and I, myself will contribute to this first thread of yours. 😁

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Tapatalk

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys ! Thanks for your encouragement !! Will proceed on with the project ! Now... to wait for //build/ !

P.S. I just noticed that I made a mistake in the thread title from WP8.1 to WP8,1 hahaha !

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
OK guys. First entry into this journal ! Let's go !!

Day 0

//Build/ 2014 is upon us ! In just 2 short hours, we will get our first look into WP8.1 + new devices from Nokia. Can't wait for it to start !!

*Edit*

WP8.1 Has been announced !! (Sorry for the late post. I was busy. But nevertheless, I caught the livestream of the event.) So yes. I have to say, Cortana has really wowed me over and over again. I mean it should have came as no surprise to those who have seen the leaks (me included), but wow. She was amazing. I have to say Microsoft has done a very good job with the update. They have really listened to our opinions. This is just simply... Wow. The Action Centre looks promising, seeing that previously Symbian had it, and Android had it also. So yeah. And as for the startscreen. It looks simply fantastic. The new parallax effect is fantastic. I must say, I wasn't all that impressed when the first leaked picture came out. But when it really showed how it actually worked... Woah. I was blown away again. And those other small features that Microsoft has implemented/changed, wow. Those small changes make the OS seem much much better. So yes. I am blown away again and again by WP8.1. Good Job Microsoft. Good Job WP Division.

Last edited:

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 Dev Preview is available! And I still can't believe I'm running it on my 620. First of all, everything feels really fast and snappy.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Tapatalk

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys ! As promised, I have installed the developers preview of Windows Phone 8.1, so this is my first entry into the Journal !

Day 1-5

Ok. So the preview came out on Monday, 14th April. I have installed it on the day it released, and have been using it for about 4-5 days already. Here are my initial thoughts about the preview (and future updates). First things, first, ITS FREAKING WINDOWS PHONE 8.1 !! Finally, the update has been released. Sure took Microsoft quite some time for it to be released. I read the various articles about the leaked features, and I watched the //Build// 2014 conference, and I can say that although it has got me excited for Windows Phone again. Now, let me share how have does the new update feels.

The lockscreen. This is the first thing we always see when we unlock our mobile phones. The new update hasn't brought much major changes to the screen itself, aside from some cosmetic changes to the time and date, but nothing major. Although, Microsoft has promised that now, the lockscreen can be much more customisable with third-party apps (see the demo of the new lockscreen at build using Rudy's app). I am really looking forward to what developers are going to come up with for the lockscreen. So as for now, I can't say much.

Next, the start screen !! For this part, I am super super super excited to talk about. First of all, the Start Screen has been updated to support wallpapers. In-depth explanation can be found here ( Exclusive - Video hands on with Windows Phone 8.1! | Windows Phone Central ). For me, the start screen experience pre WP 8.1 has been okay-okay. I didn't mind the solid accent colour that was the only option available, but sometimes it became stale. There were apps for adding picture onto tiles, but it was a hassle and all. When I first started to set wallpaper on my device, I felt it looked ugly (because I was using the wrong wallpaper). After that, when I found a wallpaper that suited, and damn, my start screen became BEAUTIFUL ! Everytime I look at it... Wow. Now with the new parallax effect, the start screen is much much much more lively. I have tried to go back to the solid accent colour, but I found it very boring.

Cortana. She has DEFINITELY got to next to talk about. So this is one feature that I am really excited for. When I installed the Preview, the thing that I needed to do after playing around with the start screen was to use Cortana. Setup was relatively easy, with you giving her the necessary permissions, and voila ! She all set up and ready to go. As far as voice recognition goes, I give Cortana a 80% accuracy. Mind you, I am living outside the US. Even with my Singaporean accent, Cortana managed to recognize MOST of my commands, although for some she gave me weird searches (e.g when I said "What does the fox says" she recognizes it as "What does the f*** says"). Idle chit-chat is fun, and she has quite a personality. However, I do NOT like the fact that Cortana has to have location enabled to be able to use her (although can be bypassed by long pressing the search button from the lockscreen), as it eats up alot of my battery. I have not used Cortana much to give a very in-depth explanation, but here's some of my early impressions of it.

Action centre and general improvements. Ok so I'm not going to make this post too long as I haven't used it for too long for me to give a full impression of it, but still. First up, Action Centre. Something that I didn't really missed from Symbian, but loving it now. It helps to get my information organised into one place, which is quite handy, mind you, especially when you are not free to unlock your phone. Not many third-party apps make full use of it now, being in early build. Core apps do use it, but not much too. Toggles are great, because I do not need to pin connectivity tiles onto my homescreen, thus freeing up more space for other apps. Although one minor irritation is that there is no Mobile Data toggle, which is a huge bummer for me. Other improvements are in the transitions, and other stuff which I will talk about in later posts.

So all in all, I feel that Windows Phone 8.1 is more than an update, it is kind of a 'soft' overhaul of the Windows Phone platform. Many of the changes made are those that have been requested by many WP users, and it goes to show that Microsoft IS listening to us. How does it benefits us in the long run, I am not exactly sure yet. But I can say that the Windows Phone platform is heading towards exciting times ahead, with more surprises and opportunity heading our way.

wp_ss_20140414_0007[1].pngwp_ss_20140414_0010[1].pngwp_ss_20140414_0012[1].pngwp_ss_20140415_0001[1].jpgwp_ss_20140416_0001[1].jpg

Date of this post: 19/4/14
Software version: 8.10.12359.845

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos