So will the Lumia 822 still be the best overall Windows 8.1 phone when it is updated?

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am eagerly anticipating Windows phone 8.1 and hearing about new phones coming out but I see nothing so far that would compel me to switch- seems like the new phones always have something missing that the 822 has. The 822 is not the best at everything but does everything well- it takes decent pictures with a 8mp carl zeiss lens, has glance, may have a lower resolution screen but has all the nokia display technologies, sdcard slot, wireless charging, front camera, flash, Nokia apps, and 16gb onboard memory. So far it looks like the 930/Icon will not have a sd card slot and glance support, the 1520 is just too big and the Samsung will not have all the Nokia apps and I am not sure about supporting Qi wireless charging (although the Galaxy 4 which it is based on does). Lets hope Nokia eventually offers a good all around phone for 8.1 Until then I don't see getting rid of my 822 for a long time.

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I am eagerly anticipating Windows phone 8.1 and hearing about new phones coming out but I see nothing so far that would compel me to switch- seems like the new phones always have something missing that the 822 has. The 822 is not the best at everything but does everything well- it takes decent pictures with a 8mp carl zeiss lens, has glance, may have a lower resolution screen but has all the nokia display technologies, sdcard slot, wireless charging, front camera, flash, Nokia apps, and 16gb onboard memory. So far it looks like the 930/Icon will not have a sd card slot and glance support, the 1520 is just too big and the Samsung will not have all the Nokia apps and I am not sure about supporting Qi wireless charging (although the Galaxy 4 which it is based on does). Lets hope Nokia eventually offers a good all around phone for 8.1 Until then I don't see getting rid of my 822 for a long time.

This shows how personal of a decision phones are. I couldn't care less about Qi wireless charging or apps on the SD card, but I'd prefer a vastly better camera than 8mp. The 822 that I currently own is a solid phone, but for me I can find one better suited. For me, one of the newer released phones will be an improvement.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
1520 is just too big for me, plus I am on Verizon so it isn't an option yet. My 822 basically replaced my 80gb Zune for music. I use a 64gb card and have my whole music collection with me- I need the space- so that is important to me.

Jen Sanko

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Staying with the 822 for now.
Really don't see any added value in the 930.
Then only thing that bums me out about the 8.1 update is that we wont get the option for additional tiles. The three medium tiles in a row
According to the latest rumors that is.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Then only thing that bums me out about the 8.1 update is that we wont get the option for additional tiles. The three medium tiles in a row
According to the latest rumors that is.

Joe Belifore confirmed yesterday that all Windows phones will get the 3 medium tile width.

In 2013, we added a third column on devices for 5-inch screen or larger devices, like the Lumia 1520, to enable more stuff to show up on the screen. People really liked this so we are enabling this on all screen sizes in Windows Phone 8.1. Pin away!

Cortana (yes!) and Many, Many Other Great Features coming in Windows Phone 8.1

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
It is a 4.5" screen though. I believe 3 tiles is coming to every phone...that is 4.5" and larger. The 822 is only 4.3".

Again...

From Cortana (yes!) and Many, Many Other Great Features coming in Windows Phone 8.1
In 2013, we added a third column on devices for 5-inch screen or larger devices, like the Lumia 1520, to enable more stuff to show up on the screen. People really liked this so we are enabling this on all screen sizes in Windows Phone 8.1.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
That is awesome! I saw Daniel Rubino's hands on with the Lumia 630 and he mentioned that 3 column start would only be available for 4.5"+ devices. Great to know it will be available to everyone.
For those who want the third column, more power to them. Personally, I like my start screen just the way it is. I agree with the OP about the 822, though the Icon was tempting I kept mine.

ItsMcDiddles

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know how that would work. It seems with my big fingers I would hit some other tile than the one I wanted.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

busyman96

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I ran the 8.1 emulator on 480x800 and it had the 3 column option. I'll probably use it for a while when the preview comes, see how it feels.

P.S.: Rich Edmonds' screen looks very cluttered.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I ran the 8.1 emulator on 480x800 and it had the 3 column option. I'll probably use it for a while when the preview comes, see how it feels.

P.S.: Rich Edmonds' screen looks very cluttered.

I read a post here last week that has the small tiles in 3-column view on a small screen about the size of the "Enter" Key on the virtual keyboard...would you say that's accurate?

I'm very interested in the 3 column view but I'm not sure if I want the small tiles that small...

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I read a post here last week that has the small tiles in 3-column view on a small screen about the size of the "Enter" Key on the virtual keyboard...would you say that's accurate?

That is true on the Icon, don't know how it would be on the 822. There is no doubt the 822 is a solid device with good features. It's like driving a basic station wagon...it gets the job done. But if you want speed, gorgeous screen, awesome camera, the Icon is the way to go.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm very interested in the 3 column view but I'm not sure if I want the small tiles that small...

I have an 820, and made some measurements. From the left border of the tiles to the right, it's 50 mm. The size of the gap between tiles is about 1 mm. In a row with 6 small tiles, there would be 5 gaps, taking up 5 mm. There's 45 mm left for 6 tiles. Each small tile would be approximately 7.5 mm (45 mm/6 tiles). This is an estimate, and gives somewhat of an idea how large (or small) these tiles would be.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

That is true on the Icon, don't know how it would be on the 822. There is no doubt the 822 is a solid device with good features. It's like driving a basic station wagon...it gets the job done. But if you want speed, gorgeous screen, awesome camera, the Icon is the way to go.
The Lumia 822 a station wagon? How dare you! LOL!

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I am waiting to see how WP8.1 fits looks and feels on my 822 before making any decisions on upgrading. It's been a great device
for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3