What you LOST in WP8.1

canyamo

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
yeah, since you have to "connect" your google account with this update, you can't use any other caldav service. this actually pretty sucks, because what am i going to do without a calendar on my windows phone....

Botan-Nabe

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't make make screenshots anymore thanks to my broken volume buttons
Adjust volume app no longer works (Crashes when making changes to volume and I have to use Cortana to change the volume by telling her to play a song)
Removed the ability to turn off the ringer in the settings.
Wifi internet connection is incredibly slow.
Game Hub disappeared, what the heck Microsoft, is this a joke.

My device: Nokia Lumia 620

Last edited:

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Choosing a photo from your library --> Edit with Nokia Creative Studio --> Save will save your edited photo randomly in Saved Pictures folder.

Annoying as hell.

Lukas Jankauskas

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Another nice touch that was removed in 8.1 is when you began installing an app from the Store it immediately took you to the app list so you would know where it will be once fully installed. Now nothing happens and you have to exit the Store and hunt for the app in the app list afterwards. :sigh::
No way, that thing has always annoyed me.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Another nice touch that was removed in 8.1 is when you began installing an app from the Store it immediately took you to the app list so you would know where it will be once fully installed. Now nothing happens and you have to exit the Store and hunt for the app in the app list afterwards. :sigh::

You are aware the app list is in alphabetical order. Its not much of a hunt. If you downloaded "instagram" its under "i"...i think it was annoying before because you need to navigate BACK to the store to get another app. This new way is much better

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When you're playing a song in the music app and at the now playing section, I can no longer just swipe across the screen to shuffle to the next song :( I have to just hit the tiny buttons on the top or the bottom now. Sucks when you're driving :(

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So instead of giving us more accent colors they just go ahead and modify one of the most popular ones. Now the cobalt accent color is more like a light purple than a saturated blue.

accents.png

8.0.png8.1.png

Another one for the "it wasn't broken but they screwed with it anyway" pile.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
My Game Hub now does not shows any games in the collection. The error message is "Couldn't open that. Try again."
I tried sot reset by Power button and volume down. Game hub still does not shows the game in the collection. Rebooting also does not work.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
So instead of giving us more accent colors they just go ahead and modify one of the most popular ones. Now the cobalt accent color is more like a light purple than a saturated blue.

View attachment 62870

View attachment 62872View attachment 62873

Another one for the "it wasn't broken but they screwed with it anyway" pile.
Basically, WP 8.1 gives us the ability to use any shade of color as our accent color. Just create a blank image with the old cobalt color and set it as your background image.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk beta

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Basically, WP 8.1 gives us the ability to use any shade of color as our accent color. Just create a blank image with the old cobalt color and set it as your background image.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk beta

You are confusing "accent" color with "tile" color. You cant change the accent color to whatever you want.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
What he said. /\

A custom background would show on the start screen tiles but accent colors are used throughout the whole OS in various shades (app list, messaging, task switcher, Cortana, action center, keyboard, settings toggles, etc).

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
To be honest now that I fully tested my device with 8.1 I can say what I really miss:
#1 save photos to OneDrive
#2 having the me tile updated with social updates

All the rest it's called innovation and getting use to.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My Game Hub now does not shows any games in the collection. The error message is "Couldn't open that. Try again."
I tried sot reset by Power button and volume down. Game hub still does not shows the game in the collection. Rebooting also does not work.

An update for the games app (no longer a hub) has already been released to fix this issue.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I miss the baked in social networking functionality of People Hub and Me tile. Now my Me tile is rendered essentially useless. Of I want to post to both FB and Twitter I have to post twice, so it's actually faster to use the dedicated apps, and the notifications have moved exclusively to the action center.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6