What you LOST in WP8.1

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey illidanx, any way to know the update size? How much did you have to download to emulate 8.1?

you need visual studio 2013 which is like 3gb. Then the visual studio Update 2 RC which includes wp8.1 emulator which is about 2gb. So in total about 5gb.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
:angry: I just noticed this in Daniel's hands on video. Again, another minor thing which made WP8 look so good was how those disappeared. Having the network icon, wifi icon, battery, etc always displayed on the screen just looks so distracting and adds visual clutter. I do not like it at all. :(

I think a lot more people preferred to have it on full time. I know I did. It looks cool and all initially but almost all the time I'm tapping on the top to see how much battery I have left, if my wifi disconnected or not during a slow internet moment, how many bars I have on my cellular connection if im using data. Its actually kind of annoying having to tap the top there constantly just to see the status icons.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm also going to miss the photo backgrounds in the photo hub. That new one looks boring.

I saw in one of the videos WPCentral posted that you can no longer post to twitter and facebook directly at the same time from the me tile.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not getting Facebook-messages just like SMS (and to the same place without launching yet another app) might just be a deal breaker for me in the future. If that feature doesn't return, it might be quite probable that my next phone won't be WP anymore.

It was probably the biggest single thing that sold me on WP back in the day. Not needing to open an app for every single thing was great and it's the reason why iPhone and Android still don't interest me.

That said, if the situation is the same crap on all platforms, might as well stick with WP in future too seeing that everything else I have is Windows-ecosystem, but regardless I'll be extremely bummed about it if it stays that way. Equally pissed off about MS removing the Messaging-hub from Windows 8. No, I don't want to use both Skype and FB-app to do what a single integrated app could do before. What the **** is the logic behind these things?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot more people preferred to have it on full time. I know I did. It looks cool and all initially but almost all the time I'm tapping on the top to see how much battery I have left, if my wifi disconnected or not during a slow internet moment, how many bars I have on my cellular connection if im using data. Its actually kind of annoying having to tap the top there constantly just to see the status icons.

Speaking of which, from the videos they finally made the wifi icon a signal strength icon!!! It's so frustrating that currently the wifi icon in the tray is static and doesn't indicate true signal strength :p

Not getting Facebook-messages just like SMS (and to the same place without launching yet another app) might just be a deal breaker for me in the future. If that feature doesn't return, it might be quite probable that my next phone won't be WP anymore.

It was probably the biggest single thing that sold me on WP back in the day. Not needing to open an app for every single thing was great and it's the reason why iPhone and Android still don't interest me.

That said, if the situation is the same crap on all platforms, might as well stick with WP in future too seeing that everything else I have is Windows-ecosystem, but regardless I'll be extremely bummed about it if it stays that way. Equally pissed off about MS removing the Messaging-hub from Windows 8. No, I don't want to use both Skype and FB-app to do what a single integrated app could do before. What the **** is the logic behind these things?

If you notice, it's still called the "messaging hub" and like how the People Hub in WP8.1 allows third-party apps to tie into it, they will probably add in a support for third-party apps to integrate. That or you can just use the Facebook Messenger app as the default messaging app (it can still do texts I think outside of Facebook)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Even if you were right, I also want Messenger-chat (or more like Skype chat now) to work through it, not to mention I'm not all that excited to give anything that is Facebook direct access to my SMS and non-facebook chats.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I agree. It was quite annoying. Besides, this does not look bad at all to me.Finally, some sensible decision from MS.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So I have downloaded the new windows phone 8.1 emulator and played with it a bit. This is a version newer than the previously invite-only SDK as Cortana and Action Center are present. There are several things I don't like about WP8.1. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I will update this list if I or someone found something new.

Lost functionalities:
- No option to change search provider in IE to Google. You got the cortana screen (if cortana is on) or the bing search screen (if cortana if off) every time you search something by typing in IE's address bar, which is a very jarring experience.
- No more facebook chat in message. But since we cannot install apps from store in the emulator, I cannot test whether facebook chat will be restored once we install facebook/facebook messenger.
- No easy access to Bing Vision using the hardware search button if Cortana is enabled. It is still present as one of the camera lens app though.
- Photos app is now a pivot app with black background. No more beautiful photos app with personal background.
- No more list view (agenda) in calendar.

Irritating problems that was not fixed
- Hitting the back key after you reopen IE still sends you straight back to the home screen instead of the previous page, which is very very stupid.
I was wrong. It sent me back to the home screen because there was no page to go back. You can also swipe left and right to go back and forward, which is neat.

Changes you may not like:
- Each IE tab takes one slot in the multi-tasking tab.
- System tray icons (the top row) stays indefinitely until an app explicitly tells them to disappear.

Functionality that I was afraid to lose but did not
- View Onedrive picture in the picture hub. If you click on the OneDrive icon in picture hub, it will list all OneDrive albums for you to choose from; you won't be sent to the OneDrive app.

@IE11, check 0:42 of this video and try if that works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Xt7eT0S_I

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Am I right?
You are basing this tread upon of what you found/not found in the emulator???
I think you will have to wait till the preview is launched. By then I think the emulator is also updated.

They told us at the event that WP8.1 has 100 new features. I think that the emulator, as it is now, is just covering the main part and the funktionality of things.

:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720