Email still broken in 8.1

Darryl Ponting

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I've installed the latest SDK from yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed to see that Email sub folders are still broken.

It's a step up in that you can enable toast notifications for email now, and they appear in notification centre (if going into the Inbox).

Email that goes directly into a sub folder (i.e. server side rules) doesn't create a notification or an entry in notification centre. So broken, so bad. This functionality is a core Exchange feature and must be used by the majority of business users.

No real questions, just disappointment and a heads up for others waiting on this.

Darryl Ponting

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I tried that. The pinned folder tile updates with the number of email received, but you get no notification or toast (or whatever the global email notification setting is).

Darryl Ponting

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
1.png - Shows toasts for emails (yay), only for the email received into the Inbox (crap).
2.png - Shows that the live tiles for the Inbox (labelled "Kaliber Ltd") and the sub folder (labelled "Kaliber") both received email. Note there is a notification icon in the status bar as well which is nice.
3.png - Shows notification centre has only picked up the Inbox email.

iOS works fine, Android has Exchange apps which work fine, even Blackberry 10 notifies on sub folder email. Windows Phone is the only mobile OS that doesn't work. And Microsoft want to be taken seriously in the Enterprise...

Tweeted Joe Belfiore for what it's worth:
https://twitter.com/darrylponting/statuses/451661917908910080

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    444.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.png
    2.png
    445.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.png
    3.png
    24 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just posted this in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here. For those of you with the SDK, can you please check if, on WP8.1, I can:
  • Edit an older email before replying/forwarding?
  • Receive an email from one account and reply/forward using a different account?
  • Attach a PDF file?
  • Attach multiple files that aren't in my camera roll?

These were all things I've been able to do on every smartphone I've owned since my Treo 600, which includes run-ins with Windows Mobile, Symbian and webOS. And I miss every one of them every day. As far as I am concerned, the almost unusable email experience on WP is a deal-breaker.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
So freaking stupid, but thanks for bringing this up anyway. I don't understand why the email app for Windows Phone can't be like the one in Windows 8: independent of the OS and able to be updated for dumb things like this. With this issue of not surfacing a notification for subfolders, it feels like I'm being punished for trying to be organized. I guess I should go back to letting everything get dumped in my inbox.

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I just posted this in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here. For those of you with the SDK, can you please check if, on WP8.1, I can:
  • Receive an email from one account and reply/forward using a different account?
  • Attach a PDF file?

These were all things I've been able to do on every smartphone I've owned since my Treo 600, which includes run-ins with Windows Mobile, Symbian and webOS. And I miss every one of them every day. As far as I am concerned, the almost unusable email experience on WP is a deal-breaker.

Proper email attachment management is very important to me as well. I need to be able to attach a plethora of different files to a single email before Windows Phone can really be called a business-class device in my eyes. Why is such an essential feature omitted from the Mail app? If it's because WP doesn't have a dedicated file manager, then Microsoft definitely has to rethink its strategy in that area.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have so many important sub folders...

makes my wp8 so limited now because I can't pin all subfoldes to my start screen!

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
  • Attach a PDF file?

I cannot answer your question about the stock email client. On a more positive note though.. keep an eye out for a new (first?), free email client app next week :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is the only mobile OS that doesn't work.

Its a technicality, but Symbian has the same issue.. it only picks up Inbox messages

[*]Edit an older email before replying/forwarding?
[*]Receive an email from one account and reply/forward using a different account?
[*]Attach a PDF file?
[*]Attach multiple files that aren't in my camera roll?
[/LIST]

Someone should send this list to MS.

Don't they use WP on a daily basis ? I mean.. they must know that the e-mail client is inferior to ios/andro/symbian..

Darryl Ponting

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
  • Edit an older email before replying/forwarding? No, unable to edit original message.
  • Receive an email from one account and reply/forward using a different account? No, unable to change account the email is being sent from.
  • Attach a PDF file? Not from within the compose email screen. It jumps straight to the camera roll.
  • Attach multiple files that aren't in my camera roll? See above.

See my answers above in red.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have to start saving money. I need a phone with another OS.
Too bad, I was hoping WP8.1 could fit my needs.

It's probably going to take another 4 years to fix this, just like it took Microsoft 3+ years to add a simple week view for the calendar. Instead of wasting time on gimmicks like the diagonal and circular lock screen unlock animations, they should have used that time to improve more key OS features; but who are we kidding, this is MS we are talking about here, it takes a decade to perfect something, only to scrap it and replace it the next year.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
If it's because WP doesn't have a dedicated file manager, then Microsoft definitely has to rethink its strategy in that area.
And that's why there must be a file manager. But each time one of us says that, someone comes & tells that it's not needed or that it causes harm to the security of WP devices. I'm fed up of these kinds of people. They think that if they don't need a file manager, no one else does.

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It's probably going to take another 4 years to fix this, just like it took Microsoft 3+ years to add a simple week view for the calendar.

At the cost of List View.. One step up, two steps back. Well, I've learned the lesson.
Too bad, 'cause WP8 UI is great, but I use my smartphone for work and after almost two years, I can't go on dealing with lacking of features and non-sense like that.
What a waste of money WP8 was, for me :(
I miss my WM6 Samsung Omnia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077