Things I found different in WP8.1 (Compared to 8.0 Lumia 920)

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Here are a list of things I found different in the new update 8.1 closely compared to 8.0 (Lumia Black Update, Lumia 920). I am trying to give you a look at the update in it's entirety, as well as try to show things that haven't been leaked or shown off in a demo, so that you can now know any new subliminal updates as well as the major one's.
I will do it by category (and app) and update the thread as i find new differences, and of course if you want me to find out anything, by any means, let me know :smile:

Without further ado:

Let's start with the simples and compare the "Messaging" app

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.1 Messaging App Can now (UPDATED):
Select Multiple (To Delete) from ApplicationBar
Search (Searches threads as well as messages in a thread) from applicationBar
Mute Threads (as well as unmute) from long hold on thread + in thread page from applicationBar
New Button on Thread View applicationBar to send you to the contact's details
Settings has been reduced (removing all chat settings) and added "Download messages from) [Selecting Time Frame]
Delivery Reports still come in as separate messages (Thread)

Screenshots:

AddNew.png
All list.png
Thread View.png
Settings1.png
Settings 2.png
Delivery Report.png
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8.1 Settings - NFC:
Renamed from "tap+send" to NFC (holding it's own in the settings screen)
More settings added (Apart from turning it on/off):
Adding trusted apps to skip confirmation screens (Not sure if you can add devices such as Nokia Play 360 etc...)
Tap to pay (Toggle)
ApplicationBar holds one button: "Select" Which indicates the ability to remove multiple Trusted apps at once, but no [visible] possible way to add any apps
Tap to pay unlocks the ability to pay while the phone is either "Unlocked", Screen is only on, or anytime.

Screenshots:

Bottom.png
Top.png
BottomExtended.png
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8.1 Cortana Region Test (UPDATED):
Something funny happens when you switch regions (so far anything other than USA, I need to switch to more regions). After switching from USA to any, the OS restarts and If you have or had cortana pinned in the home screen, after switching, The tile is gone and so is the icon from the app list, so essentially cortana gets disabled and the traditional search screen return. Although the search screen is no longer a Pivot app, only a single screen with a textbox is there. After switching the long press on the search button activates a new UI for Voice Assistance.

Switching to CHINA in region, (Restart)
Current Region.png

Cortana Tile Now Gone
NoCortanaTile.png

Also gone from App list [Under "C"]
MissingCortana.png

Pressing "Search" takes to the Newdational search screen.
OtherRegionCortanaSearchHome.png

"Long Search Press" Now takes you to this screen
LongPressSearchVoice.png
8.1 Web Browser:
[Personal Favorite] "Other" in tabs view can continue tabs from other devices
"Blank Tabs" get removed by pressing the back key button
In Tabs view, applicationbar now has two new menu items "new inprivate tab" and "close all" (Which was long overdue if you ask me)
They finally removed that silly 6 Tab limit, not sure what the new limit is, hopefully limitless
The two state button in the addressbar is so seamless
InPrivate disables the ability to "Add to favorites", "find on page", "Share Page", and "Pin to start"
Favorites now can have folders
Share Picker looks different (I wonder if now devs can now extend this, would make life easier for PocketNow, to just share the link directly)
When tapping a search term in the suggestions, it launches bing search and searches the keyword outside the browser and websites like bing.com launch the search section.

Screenshots:

advanced%20settings%201.png

advanced%20settings%202.png

bingsearch.png

Custom%20Settings%20extended.png

Custom%20Settings.png

extended.png

favorites.png

favsFolders.png

inPrivate.png

other.png

recent.png

saveFav.png

search.png

sharePicker.png

suggestion.png

If you guys a more in depth look into the web browser section, let me know

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• advanced settings 1.png
    advanced settings 1.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Probably start off by telling the community if these screenshots are coming from a real device running WP8.1 or just the SDK. If it is just the SDK, what features are limiting and different than real WP8.1?

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
These are from the Windows Phone 8.1 Images (Emulators), now I am told that the images are closest thing to RTM and of course with any software anything can change anytime. Specifically "Emulator 8.1 WVGA 4 inch 512MB" Emulator Image and yes, it's the lowest Image, but I prefer testing there as it's way faster (Personal Opinion + PC Hardware) :smile:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Probably the best thing if you can test would be - to change your region if you are in USA to something like India or China and then see if Cortana functions? Also, does the emulator have Cortana to start with?

And if Cortana doesn't work when set to India or China - what does the search button do?

Also, can you change your region to USA and get Cortana fully functional? These are the most frequently asked questions which no one has been able to answer so far.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Can you check if they have changed the way SMS delivery reports arrive? (I'm hoping for a tick sign near each message instead of a separate message)

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you check if there are any options for the NFC setting? In particular can you turn off the confirmation message you get when reading a tag?

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I will play with cortana now, and yes she is in there :p but I am not sure to what extent. I will play with regions and see what comes of it. :smile:

NFC added to thread and will see what more i can do with it. Also SMS and MMS Deliveries come in as separate messages, no ticks :(

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I haven't looked too deep into the software capabilities by devs and such. I am only looking into the surface right now, and apps. One thing that works is the ability to hookup the outlook account and that UI and steps are also changed a little. IDK why i am surprised, but i didn't expect that to work. So that's good :amaze:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
2 questions :
1. Could you go in the calendar app and confirm List View has disappeared?
2. Does the calendar support timezones when setting a meeting?

thanks

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
A video just published on WPC front page confirms the same behaviour when Cortana isn't present on phone or set up. You get a routine one page search screen that all the non-US customers are so used to seeing currently. What will be interesting is if someone can check that the SDK recognises your region as non-USA because you aren't living for real in the US and then you switch the regions in emulator. I appreciate that in real life it will be real GPS and IP and it won't be same, but worth a shot to see if changing region to USA in non-USA phone works.

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
1: List view is there, just have to tap on "view" then "Day" and shows the list of the days. The app is in my opinion, better organized now.
2: Not from what I see, no.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Haven't had time to go through SDK, but is there finally an option for text message content NOT to show on lock screen?

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Adding apps to upgrade from Cellular calls to Video Calls is available for any app. Found some info on it on the MSDN Library on WP8.1 and SDK also shows it. They're known as EXTENSIONS where your app can opt for things in the OS.

"Upgrade calls from cellular to VoIP in a Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app...."
Source

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Can you try sending a pdf and zip file via bluetooth and see what happens? Where does it save them? Downloads folder? (Is trying bluetooth even possible with emulator?)

Also please check bluetooth settings to see if anything is added.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I can also confirm that quiet hours disappears from settings when the region is changed, not surprising since it relies on Cortana to function properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen