WP8.1 Does have file picker

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Justin Angel (formerly of Nokia) also posted a picture from a slide about this on Twitter minutes ago:

BkUxKrFCMAA9RiL.jpg

https://twitter.com/JustinAngel/status/451821397308735488

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
what is that speech? I couldn't find it in build website. Can you try finding it please?

I believe it's this one, but the recording isn't up yet as it just ended:

Contracts and Pickers: Building Apps that Work Together on Windows | Build 2014 | Channel 9

With Windows Phone 8.1 we're bringing many of the Windows APIs that allow apps to talk to each other to the Phone! Your apps now have the ability to share photos, text, links and pretty much anything you want to built-in apps like Mail or Messaging and social networks like Facebook or Twitter. You can also open and save files to the SD card, Phone storage and OneDrive or other cloud storage services. These are just some of the things enabled by the new contracts in Windows Phone 8.1. Arun and John will dive into each of these contracts with demos on how to use them in your Windows Phone 8.1 apps as well as your existing Silverlight apps.

Edit: And interesting that they specifically call out Mail in the description. I'll have to watch this recording myself when it's up because I'm really hoping for full attachment support in email.

Josip Zeljko

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
That's all I needed for windows to be a perfect fit for me. I already like the os, but the addition of file picker is something i've been waiting for ever since i switched from android.

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's this one, but the recording isn't up yet as it just ended:

Contracts and Pickers: Building Apps that Work Together on Windows | Build 2014 | Channel 9

Edit: And interesting that they specifically call out Mail in the description. I'll have to watch this recording myself when it's up because I'm really hoping for full attachment support in email.

I am really hoping for expanded attachment support in email. This would greatly expand my phone's usability as a business device.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
yes, onedrive will act as a file manager. I expect third party ones to show up at some point.
Are you sure about that??Please reply quickly, it's a matter of life & death. Well, actually, it's a matter of the purchase of my next phone.. ;) ;)

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Can somebody explain to me what exactly this file picker/manager is and does?

File manager is like having the File Explorer on desktops, you can see each files in their folders and tree and manipulate (copy and paste) them.
File Picker is simply a function for you to select files, like the 'Choose File to Upload' pop-up window you get when you click on Upload Photos on facebook.com.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure about that??Please reply quickly, it's a matter of life & death. Well, actually, it's a matter of the purchase of my next phone.. ;) ;)

With new APIs, I think we might see third party solutions, even if there isn't a first party file manager. Just wait and see what happens during the next few weeks :)

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Can somebody explain to me what exactly this file picker/manager is and does?

Its basically Windows explorer on a phone. also its apparently a 100% need that you have to be able to do this on your phone because that is apparently what phones are supposed to be made for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers