WP8.1 Does have file picker

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure about that??Please reply quickly, it's a matter of life & death. Well, actually, it's a matter of the purchase of my next phone.. ;) ;)
It has earlier been reported by WPC too, that One Drive will act as a file manager,even though it was not showcased at build. So have hope ;)
By the way iOS does not have a file manager.
Android does not have a file manager preinstalled on stock android,eg Nexus series and the upcoming HTC One M8. Only some OEM's add it when they are given the OS to customize.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Its basically Windows explorer on a phone. also its apparently a 100% need that you have to be able to do this on your phone because that is apparently what phones are supposed to be made for.

True, because god forbid I attach a PDF as a reply to an existing email.

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I checked it out in the Emulator and I have to say: Really nice!

The good: It works *g* (all folders and SD-Cards are accessable)

The bad: Apps can't do file choosing alone. The user has to choose the file to *give* to the app manually, so an third party App can't for example show all files somewhere or act as a "File Explorer", since the App only sees things the user gives it to see. And it can't *just* save files on the phone either, again the user has to choose where to store it and what name to give it (not 100% sure about the name part).
I assume it is to prevent abuse or bugs from Apps to spread all over the system. I think it's a good solution.

But the fact that a user can actually give an App a file (from ANYWHERE on the phone) is really nice already. And it will bring other great possibilities as well (sharing files from anywhere etc.)

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I checked it out in the Emulator and I have to say: Really nice!

The good: It works *g* (all folders and SD-Cards are accessable)

The bad: Apps can't do file choosing alone. The user has to choose the file to *give* to the app manually, so an third party App can't for example show all files somewhere or act as a "File Explorer", since the App only sees things the user gives it to see. And it can't *just* save files on the phone either, again the user has to choose where to store it and what name to give it (not 100% sure about the name part).
I assume it is to prevent abuse or bugs from Apps to spread all over the system. I think it's a good solution.

But the fact that a user can actually give an App a file (from ANYWHERE on the phone) is really nice already. And it will bring other great possibilities as well (sharing files from anywhere etc.)

In WinRT APIs, user can select a folder with folder select dialog, then whole folder (including subfolders and files) will be accessible by the application. And since we have Universal type of apps, I think Windows Phone 8.1 should also have it.

EDIT: Yes, it does have. see this: Scenario3_SingleFolder.xaml.cs - File picker sample
in the last function of that file, you can find this comment: " // Application now has read/write access to all contents in the picked folder (including other sub-folder contents) "

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
So, if I understand this right we will consequently se two type of filemanagers on the phone within a short period.

1) Thru thirdparty apps or MS apps who are going to add filepicker kompetense, Like the already existed "Pocket File Manager" for instance.
2) Tru the cloude. One Drive app will get file management kompetence.

My goodness, what will the LagDroids and CrashDroids now have to complain about???

:evil: :evil: :wink:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The build in email app should take full advantage of this.. its kind of silly that you can't even attach a PDF file to an e-mail..

Is the email app a separate app that can be updated independently from the firmware ?

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
The build in email app should take full advantage of this.. its kind of silly that you can't even attach a PDF file to an e-mail..

Is the email app a separate app that can be updated independently from the firmware ?

well You can't do that even in iOS,Security restrictions,every app runs in a sandbox etc...

but yes,you can install a FREE or paid 3rd party file manager and save the desired attachment From the Mail to it (Via the "open-in option when you click the attachment) and Also Can mail any file as an attachment FROM the app you created/modified it,Like you make a word file in office,then you save it and click on "open-in" and then on "mail",they would get attached to new message and from there you can send it,same goes for evernote Notes,and Scanned documents etc etc etc..So nothing to worry about......For PC files,You can save the PC files on the 3rd party file manager and can mail it from there,"the file manager" and not the mail app....I think WP8 can't even do that,pity Hah (LOL xD)

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of disappointed, for example: If I'm writing a e-mail, and try to attach some file, my only option is ... PICTURES!
I can't even choose a file (document) or anything ... Same happens whit OneDrive, if you try to do a upload, our only option is pictures --'
The only app who have a real access of file is the new IE11.

If IE11 can do, why a simple email client can't?

Doesn't make sense.

(81 Emulator ).

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of disappointed, for example: If I'm writing a e-mail, and try to attach some file, my only option is ... PICTURES!
I can't even choose a file (document) or anything ... Same happens whit OneDrive, if you try to do a upload, our only option is pictures --'
The only app who have a real access of file is the new IE11.

If IE11 can do, why a simple email client can't?

Doesn't make sense.

(81 Emulator ).

It really doesn't make sense, because the ability to choose files is available in WP8.1.
Hope they update the mail app in the final release.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So, no email attachments.. What are you thinking about, MS?

I'm hoping they decoupled the email app from the OS so that it can be updated in the store, personally.

In one of build presentations, they showed that third party apps can create new email with attachments. So even if they forget to update Mail app, we should see some apps that has file picker (to choose every file you want), then app creates the email with those files attached. (It's technically possible with 8.1 APIs)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
In one of build presentations, they showed that third party apps can create new email with attachments. So even if they forget to update Mail app, we should see some apps that has file picker (to choose every file you want), then app creates the email with those files attached. (It's technically possible with 8.1 APIs)

True, but that still (just like the Office Hub in WP8) means that I can't respond to an email with an attachment.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I like that the file picker can access downloads, and that now it is possible to download a PDF into the downloads folder without burying it in the sandbox of a PDF app. At least, this is possible from Internet Explorer. However, with email attachments, I haven't been able to do this. Yet when you press and hold on a file attached to an email, the context menu that appears shows a grayed out option to save. Is there currently a way to use this to actually save a PDF attachment? Or is it at least possible that the grayed out option signals a coming feature? Anyone know?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I like that the file picker can access downloads, and that now it is possible to download a PDF into the downloads folder without burying it in the sandbox of a PDF app. At least, this is possible from Internet Explorer. However, with email attachments, I haven't been able to do this. Yet when you press and hold on a file attached to an email, the context menu that appears shows a grayed out option to save. Is there currently a way to use this to actually save a PDF attachment? Or is it at least possible that the grayed out option signals a coming feature? Anyone know?

I tried this out yesterday on my 920. I can tap/hold on a document attached to an email and I can save the document. It goes to Office, places, email. Attached pdf goes to pdf reader library. Tap/hold from the library, select share, it goes to OneDrive. In Office, places, onedrive, tap/hold and select download. From there you can share it like any other document.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I tried this out yesterday on my 920. I can tap/hold on a document attached to an email and I can save the document. It goes to Office, places, email. Attached pdf goes to pdf reader library. Tap/hold from the library, select share, it goes to OneDrive. In Office, places, onedrive, tap/hold and select download. From there you can share it like any other document.

And yet despite being suggested all the time, that isn't a real solution to this problem at all. You can't reply to an existing email that way, and if you have to send multiple attachments, you're out of luck. It just isn't an answer for business.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

But that's not new with 8.1, is it? And as jhoff80 said, it doesn't solve the problem of attaching files to emails.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
And yet despite being suggested all the time, that isn't a real solution to this problem at all. You can't reply to an existing email that way, and if you have to send multiple attachments, you're out of luck. It just isn't an answer for business.
I didn't say it was an answer for business. I was simply pointing out you can attach files to emails other than pictures.
There are three or four statements above that say or imply all you can attach is pictures to an email. No one said anything about replying to an email.
We haven't even seen the file picker yet and how it can be used for email attachments. See what that brings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel