04-21-2014 07:08 PM
43 12
tools
    I was afraid that wp8.1 may not have file picker, since they didn't say anything about it.
    But I just found this in documentation:
    Windows 8 File picker sample in C#, C++, JavaScript for Visual Studio 2013
    so we can expect apps that can easily pick any files (videos, music, etc.) and do some cool stuff with them; also easy share of captured videos in 6tag, viber, etc.

Yay! :)
    04-03-2014 03:23 PM
    Thanks for sharing!
    04-03-2014 03:25 PM
    Wait - no. That's Windows, not Windows Phone.
    04-03-2014 03:25 PM
    Wait - no. That's Windows, not Windows Phone.
    it's for both. "Technologies: windows runtime, windows 8.1, windows phone 8.1"

it even has a universal type code sample.
    04-03-2014 03:29 PM
    Ah - you seem to be right! My mistake!
    04-03-2014 03:31 PM
    It's also already there in the WP 8.1 emulator. You can see it trying to upload a file on a webpage in IE11.
    hopmedic and Mahdi Ghiasi like this.
    04-03-2014 03:32 PM
    Justin Angel (formerly of Nokia) also posted a picture from a slide about this on Twitter minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/JustinAngel/stat...21397308735488
    04-03-2014 03:44 PM
    Justin Angel (formerly of Nokia) also posted a picture from a slide about this on Twitter minutes ago:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkUxKrFCMAA9RiL.jpg

https://twitter.com/JustinAngel/stat...21397308735488
    what is that speech? I couldn't find it in build website. Can you try finding it please?
    04-03-2014 04:05 PM
    what is that speech? I couldn't find it in build website. Can you try finding it please?
    I believe it's this one, but the recording isn't up yet as it just ended:

Contracts and Pickers: Building Apps that Work Together on Windows | Build 2014 | Channel 9

With Windows Phone 8.1 we're bringing many of the Windows APIs that allow apps to talk to each other to the Phone! Your apps now have the ability to share photos, text, links and pretty much anything you want to built-in apps like Mail or Messaging and social networks like Facebook or Twitter. You can also open and save files to the SD card, Phone storage and OneDrive or other cloud storage services. These are just some of the things enabled by the new contracts in Windows Phone 8.1. Arun and John will dive into each of these contracts with demos on how to use them in your Windows Phone 8.1 apps as well as your existing Silverlight apps.
    Edit: And interesting that they specifically call out Mail in the description. I'll have to watch this recording myself when it's up because I'm really hoping for full attachment support in email.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-03-2014 04:09 PM
    I hope OneDrive app allows us to manage personal local files too, just like windows 8.1.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-03-2014 04:13 PM
    thats all great but... is there a FILE MANAGER?
    04-03-2014 04:33 PM
    thats all great but... is there a FILE MANAGER?
    yes, onedrive will act as a file manager. I expect third party ones to show up at some point.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-03-2014 04:39 PM
    yes, onedrive will act as a file manager. I expect third party ones to show up at some point.
    did you see any screenshot or speech confirming it?
    04-03-2014 04:49 PM
    That's all I needed for windows to be a perfect fit for me. I already like the os, but the addition of file picker is something i've been waiting for ever since i switched from android.
    04-03-2014 05:12 PM
    I believe it's this one, but the recording isn't up yet as it just ended:

Contracts and Pickers: Building Apps that Work Together on Windows | Build 2014 | Channel 9

Edit: And interesting that they specifically call out Mail in the description. I'll have to watch this recording myself when it's up because I'm really hoping for full attachment support in email.
    I am really hoping for expanded attachment support in email. This would greatly expand my phone's usability as a business device.
    04-03-2014 05:17 PM
    Are you sure about that??Please reply quickly, it's a matter of life & death. Well, actually, it's a matter of the purchase of my next phone.. ;) ;)
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-04-2014 03:52 AM
    Can somebody explain to me what exactly this file picker/manager is and does?
    04-04-2014 03:56 AM
    File manager is like having the File Explorer on desktops, you can see each files in their folders and tree and manipulate (copy and paste) them.
    File Picker is simply a function for you to select files, like the 'Choose File to Upload' pop-up window you get when you click on Upload Photos on facebook.com.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-04-2014 05:37 AM
    Are you sure about that??Please reply quickly, it's a matter of life & death. Well, actually, it's a matter of the purchase of my next phone.. ;) ;)
    With new APIs, I think we might see third party solutions, even if there isn't a first party file manager. Just wait and see what happens during the next few weeks :)
    04-04-2014 06:31 AM
    Its basically Windows explorer on a phone. also its apparently a 100% need that you have to be able to do this on your phone because that is apparently what phones are supposed to be made for.
    hopmedic likes this.
    04-04-2014 08:07 AM
    It has earlier been reported by WPC too, that One Drive will act as a file manager,even though it was not showcased at build. So have hope ;)
    By the way iOS does not have a file manager.
    Android does not have a file manager preinstalled on stock android,eg Nexus series and the upcoming HTC One M8. Only some OEM's add it when they are given the OS to customize.
    04-04-2014 08:34 AM
    Its basically Windows explorer on a phone. also its apparently a 100% need that you have to be able to do this on your phone because that is apparently what phones are supposed to be made for.
    True, because god forbid I attach a PDF as a reply to an existing email.
    04-04-2014 09:03 AM
    I checked it out in the Emulator and I have to say: Really nice!

The good: It works *g* (all folders and SD-Cards are accessable)

The bad: Apps can't do file choosing alone. The user has to choose the file to *give* to the app manually, so an third party App can't for example show all files somewhere or act as a "File Explorer", since the App only sees things the user gives it to see. And it can't *just* save files on the phone either, again the user has to choose where to store it and what name to give it (not 100% sure about the name part).
    I assume it is to prevent abuse or bugs from Apps to spread all over the system. I think it's a good solution.

But the fact that a user can actually give an App a file (from ANYWHERE on the phone) is really nice already. And it will bring other great possibilities as well (sharing files from anywhere etc.)
    04-04-2014 09:13 AM
    I checked it out in the Emulator and I have to say: Really nice!

The good: It works *g* (all folders and SD-Cards are accessable)

The bad: Apps can't do file choosing alone. The user has to choose the file to *give* to the app manually, so an third party App can't for example show all files somewhere or act as a "File Explorer", since the App only sees things the user gives it to see. And it can't *just* save files on the phone either, again the user has to choose where to store it and what name to give it (not 100% sure about the name part).
    I assume it is to prevent abuse or bugs from Apps to spread all over the system. I think it's a good solution.

But the fact that a user can actually give an App a file (from ANYWHERE on the phone) is really nice already. And it will bring other great possibilities as well (sharing files from anywhere etc.)
    In WinRT APIs, user can select a folder with folder select dialog, then whole folder (including subfolders and files) will be accessible by the application. And since we have Universal type of apps, I think Windows Phone 8.1 should also have it.

EDIT: Yes, it does have. see this: Scenario3_SingleFolder.xaml.cs - File picker sample
    in the last function of that file, you can find this comment: " // Application now has read/write access to all contents in the picked folder (including other sub-folder contents) "
    Donny James and jaygss like this.
    04-04-2014 09:23 AM
    did you see any screenshot or speech confirming it?
    It probabaly will come in the form of an app. Look at the first screenshot. it has a .appx extension. I think that means its an app. More Features Coming to Windows Phone 8.1 That We Should Look Forward To | NPU
    04-04-2014 10:13 AM
43 12