No Data Toggle switch on 8.1

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Data toggle would be nice, 2G/3G/4G toggle even nicer, this is one of my biggest disappointments with 8.1. Turning on 2G when not needing internet is a huge battery saver for me.

Wait, isnt data toggle the same as "3g toggle?" If no I dont know what you are talking about.

By "data toggle" I imagined the 3G connection (my own paid internet).

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I had wanted to see a data toggle too OP. I urn off data all the time and I use an app that turns off data when the screen is off so there is no background data, and it helps with battery life tremendously because it`s not constantly searching for data. That is one thing I really wanted to see in WP8.1. It might show up later still though.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm the same for the Wifi toggle? I don't know where I've seen it, but I can swear that when he pressed on the Wifi toggle it opened up the settings for the Wifi!!!

Yes, I can confirm that the WiFi button on the action centre is merely a shortcut to the WiFi settings page. Other things like airplane mode, screen rotation lock, and Bluetooth are actual toggles though. Baffles me as to why MS did this. And the lack of mobile data toggle is disappointing.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have my Wi-Fi enabled or my 3G enabled. Never both at once, since I want to be 100% certain my phone is using the correct data connection.

No big deal if the toggle isn't there since I have shortcut tiles on my start screen anyway, but it's definitely an oversight.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Do people turn off their data frequently? I know I turn my Bluetooth and sometimes even my WiFi on an off on occasion, but I can't recall ever disabling my data. Can't think of a reason why I would, although I'm sure there must be one if that function is available.

I never have it on. I very seldom use my data plan and I only have 150MB per month which I never use more than 50MB. Why? Because I can count with the fingers in one hand the amount of times I don't have WiFi available. Everywhere I go I have access to the WiFi network of Fon. Only when I don't have WiFi do I turn on the data.

So yes, data toggles are quite important and used. I can say the absence of a data toggle in the Action centre basically reduced its utility in half to myself.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I like to turn on 2G instead of 3G when im at a good wifi for a longer period (like home). Huge battery gain. So yes, the toggle is required!! End of discussion. :)

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Of course not. Airplane mode renders all data connections useless, including regular calls and SMS. It's a last resort if there ever was one.

Of course you can. You can do it today. It even says you can turn on wifi, Bluetooth, etc separately underneath the airplane mode toggle button.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
No, it says you can turn on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC separately. So still no calls or SMS.

"bleargh" was asking about independent wifi toggling while in airplane mode to save mobile data. To whom you replied with "of course not" and asserted that all data connections are useless. I was pointing out that you are wrong in stating that since wifi is a form of data connection. I didn't say that calls and sms would work.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I frequently switch data on and off for several reasons, for example:
- my data plan is limited. I sometimes switch off data access to reduce unnecessary use.
- when roaming, I enable data only when I need it. To do this, I enable data roaming in the settings and toggle it on and off from the android notification bar.

If this is true, it's yet another stupid mistake by Microsoft. The 8.1 update looks like a serious disappointment.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
It's VERY surprising that this was left out. A toggle button is all we are asking for, I mean come on! How hard can it be? All it has to do is start/stop the data service on the phone, how is this supposed to "drain" the battery like some users say it would?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05