No Data Toggle switch on 8.1

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused how someone gets a smartphone on a plan without data. Most companies don't offer that.

I'm confused how someone can assume that the entire world works like the USA and that everyone is stupid enough to fall for the carriers' contract scams (admitted that it's impossible to get a good deal with your own phone on any network but TMO).

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones work great even without a data plan (as mentioned, even with only WiFi which is available almost everywhere, or completely without internet).

That's definitely not the case where I live. Small town and there's maybe one shop with WiFi and it's not very good. Europe's public wifi coverage is light years ahead of the United States. Unless you live in a larger city here there's very few places with public WiFi.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
WOWOWOW hold on there, you can't set to check every XX minutes or something...

Um, yes. You can. Go into the settings for your email account and it's right there. And nearly every app has a setting where you can control and/or turn notifications off.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused how someone can assume that the entire world works like the USA and that everyone is stupid enough to fall for the carriers' contract scams (admitted that it's impossible to get a good deal with your own phone on any network but TMO).

I'm a student with the lumia 521. Many students at my school don't have a data plan but a smartphone. So, if most of us go back and forth to school, why get a data plan when you can use the wifi at home and school which is decent enough.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
For me its quite simple ( i am simple )

Internet is a no go, to expensive here in europe for what you get,
oke its going to be some cheaper becouse of the roaming in other countries.
But the carieres are not stupid and shurly wil push there prises up.

I have a prepaid, becouse i dont call mutch and people always call me, so i dont need a plan.
And i only use Wifi.
Most places here have a open wifinet and all my friends have internet at home ( as do i ).
The only place i dont have connection is when i am outside at work or gone fishing.
Those are also the moments i dont whant to be disturbed, a specialy when i am fishing.
So no need for data/internet.

So now my expenses.
Thats aprox 20€ in 6 months............sometime les
I buy my own phone ( no contract ) and can choose where i can buy my phone from.

What do you pay????
And do not forget what did you phone cost after you finished your contract?????

So yes i need that toggle.
It al depents on what kind of user you are.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

He didn't assume anything. He was just speaking from his own experience. Most carriers here won't sell you a smartphone without a data plan - that's just the way it is. Doesn't necessarily mean he's "stupid". Why do some people have to be so rude? Just because this is the internet doesn't give permission to be a jerk. You'd never talk like that to someone's face in real life because they'd punch you in the nose, so why do it here?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
But what I'm saying is that if you don't have a data plan then you shouldn't have any data coming in or out anyway, so why would it needed to be switched on and off? Why wouldnt it just stay in the "off" position permanently? I guess that's what has me confused.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
But what I'm saying is that if you don't have a data plan then you shouldn't have any data coming in or out anyway, so why would it needed to be switched on and off? Why wouldnt it just stay in the "off" position permanently? I guess that's what has me confused.

I can use my prepaid for data as well.

A long time ago i had my first smartphone,
Just left the settings for what they where.
After a short while i got a message, my account whas running low.
wt#, the last time i checked i had more than 50 €................................all gone
I live next to the german border, so payd not only for the data, but for the roaming aswell.
Ever sinds i always have the data off.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I can use my prepaid for data as well.

A long time ago i had my first smartphone,
Just left the settings for what they where.
After a short while i got a message, my account whas running low.
wt#, the last time i checked i had more than 50 ?................................all gone
I live next to the german border, so payd not only for the data, but for the roaming aswell.
Ever sinds i always have the data off.
OK, well that makes more sense. Your original post made it sound like you didn't have any data at all on your plan.

ksbanderson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to do a blanket response to some of what I've been reading.
A. Up here in Canada, you can easily buy smartphones from carriers on contract without data plans.

B. I bought my Lumia 920 off contract from the Microsoft store and bargained my plan with Rogers down to a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I only get 150 Mb of data. Data is a is so expensive up here, which is why I can't fathom it when I hear some people from the States avoid SMS because it's too expensive (read this on some other thread). Unlimited texting is basically given away here. But I digress, I absolutely need a data toggle because sometime a WiFi zone goes spotty and I watch alot of YouTube videos. If it switches over to data, I get raped with overage charges. I always turn data off of home.

ksbanderson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to do a blanket response to some of what I've been reading.
A. Up here in Canada, you can easily buy smartphones from carriers on contract without data plans.

B. I bought my Lumia 920 off contract from the Microsoft store and bargained my plan with Rogers down to a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I only get 150 Mb of data. Data is a is so expensive up here, which is why I can't fathom it when I hear some people from the States avoid SMS because it's too expensive (read this on some other thread). Unlimited texting is basically given away here. But I digress, I absolutely need a data toggle because sometimes a WiFi zone goes spotty and I watch alot of YouTube videos. If it switches over to data, I get raped with overage charges. I always turn data off of home.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you serious? This is embarrassing. The first two switches I would add to action center immediately would be wifi and data. :/

Do we really need that toggle switch..?? I never felt the requirement of toggling my data connection..! Because i always keep it ON..! LOL..!!

Your battery life must suck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss