Windows Phone 8.1 Multitasking Improvements!

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
With the new adjustment, 1 GB games SHOULD run on 512 MB devices, but this means that multitasking would be disabled if that app/game is active. If a games uses 300-380 MB out of a 512 MB, I don't know how fast or stable the device can be.

rvoje

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
No. That limit is for WP8, WP8.1 introduced totally new app memory management with WinRT
No, look at the link above I shared. It says Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 in documentation.

Memory cap limit must exist since WP itself manages memory management for the applications.

adusak

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
No, look at the link above I shared. It says Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 in documentation.

Memory cap limit must exist since WP itself manages memory management for the applications.

That is not really true. It says it applies to Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 only. Not the WinRT so it could mean that some games updated to be compatible with new memory management system could work on 512MB RAM. Anyway that is just speculation, but I think it is important to note that the article applies to silverlight.

NikCR7

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 620 and it sucks when it comes to multi-tasking, I hope this feature of the Windows Phone 8.1 improves the performance of my device. :amaze:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^don't worry it will.
though I can't believe there are people with cheap 520s out there still holding out for high-end 1GB only games. just give up already.

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
^don't worry it will.
though I can't believe there are people with cheap 520s out there still holding out for high-end 1GB only games. just give up already.
well guess what, I sided loaded modern combat 4 in my l520 and it run flawlessly, and also zombie HQ, so, **** you :D

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, the improvements are very exciting and welcome. With devices such as the Lumia 1020, 1520, ICON, etc., all running on 2GB of RAM: I don't think I'll ever have to wait for an app to resume again (rocking a 1020 here ^_^).

However, just to clear some misconceptions I've read here:

1) Microsoft will NOT be removing the memory limit from apps. All apps are still limited to how much memory they can request from the OS, this isn't Android, folks. Now, I'm not sure if they're changing the limits in Windows Phone 8.1, but the limits will exist nonetheless, as they always have, based how much RAM a device has.

The difference is that before, in Windows Phone 8: an app would be given an allotment of memory to use, and be stuck with that allotment (I.E: 150MB on 512MB devices). The problem was, many apps only require as little as 30 to 50MB to run, yet they were still being given 150MB allotments (again, using a 512MB device as an example). The end result is, apps were being given far higher memory allotments than necessary, resulting in apps being tombstoned when it wasn't necessary, and making resume times take longer.

In Windows Phone 8.1, it is being addressed where the OS can dynamically detect how much memory an app is ACTUALLY using on average when running, and give it a more proper memory allotment. The best part is, since this is dynamic: should the app suddenly require more memory, the OS will be happy to oblige and give it the memory it needs (by tombstoning other open apps, if need be). So apps are still limited in how much memory they can request, but apps will no longer be requesting higher memory allotments than they actually need, which results in less tombstoning and therefore: a faster, more seamless experience.

Microsoft was clever and makes Windows Phone 8.1 do this automatically, so it won't be necessary for developers to do anything special to take advance of this more advanced memory system. Works right out of the box.

2) Secondly, this does NOT necessarily mean that 1GB apps will suddenly make a mad dash to 512MB devices. Will some now be more easy to optimize and port for lower memory devices? Indeed, but it still will not magically apply to all 1GB devices.

Remember: apps are still limited in how much memory they can request, depending on how much memory is on the device (I unfortunately cannot recall the numbers at this time/ Furthermore, I don't know if Microsoft is changing memory allocation limits in WP8.1). So should 1GB apps and games require more memory than is allowed to be allocated on 512MB devices, then a port simply isn't possible.

However, now that the OS is more dynamic in memory allocation, it is indeed possible could bump up the limits just a smidge, giving games just the extra bit of memory they need to function.

Remember: this doesn't mean it will happen, and it partially depends on Microsoft bumping up the limits (doesn't matter if all 512MB of RAM are [somehow, considering RAM is required to just have the OS function, but I digress] free if a games that requires, say, 400MB to run, if it's limited to allowing being able to use 150MB of memory). Still, this does lay a foundation for the potential of things being much easier for game makers to port to lower memory devices.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a 512MB Windows phone. Will I be able to listen to music and GPS a destination at the same time? I can right now but it runs a bit sluggish.

Perhaps. With the changes to how the OS allocates memory, it might be able to allocate memory to the two functions (GPS and music) more appropriately, making them run smoother.

No promises, and the optimization of the apps themselves never hurt. You're probably going to have to wait and see, but my answer is "maybe."

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm really excited about this change, maybe even more than the action center. I often run into the loading screen issue, especially when using WA and Skype for example, while listening to music or even worse: using moliplayer. I also think this *might* have a positive effect on the battery, because apps don't have to be reloaded completely, which causes cpu stress. at least, my phone heats up quite a bit when I multitask my way through apps which are tombstoned, draining the battery.

And hell, even after seeing a lumia 520 perform even better then my htc 8x, well... I'm looking forward to this update.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm really excited about this change, maybe even more than the action center. I often run into the loading screen issue, especially when using WA and Skype for example, while listening to music or even worse: using moliplayer. I also think this *might* have a positive effect on the battery, because apps don't have to be reloaded completely, which causes cpu stress. at least, my phone heats up quite a bit when I multitask my way through apps which are tombstoned, draining the battery.

And hell, even after seeing a lumia 520 perform even better then my htc 8x, well... I'm looking forward to this update.

Hadn't thought of that, but indeed: battery life may very well improve.

At least we can easily track it now, thanks to Battery Sense. :)

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, the improvements are very exciting and welcome. With devices such as the Lumia 1020, 1520, ICON, etc., all running on 2GB of RAM: I don't think I'll ever have to wait for an app to resume again (rocking a 1020 here ^_^).

However, just to clear some misconceptions I've read here:

1) Microsoft will NOT be removing the memory limit from apps. All apps are still limited to how much memory they can request from the OS, this isn't Android, folks. Now, I'm not sure if they're changing the limits in Windows Phone 8.1, but the limits will exist nonetheless, as they always have, based how much RAM a device has.

The difference is that before, in Windows Phone 8: an app would be given an allotment of memory to use, and be stuck with that allotment (I.E: 150MB on 512MB devices). The problem was, many apps only require as little as 30 to 50MB to run, yet they were still being given 150MB allotments (again, using a 512MB device as an example). The end result is, apps were being given far higher memory allotments than necessary, resulting in apps being tombstoned when it wasn't necessary, and making resume times take longer.

In Windows Phone 8.1, it is being addressed where the OS can dynamically detect how much memory an app is ACTUALLY using on average when running, and give it a more proper memory allotment. The best part is, since this is dynamic: should the app suddenly require more memory, the OS will be happy to oblige and give it the memory it needs (by tombstoning other open apps, if need be). So apps are still limited in how much memory they can request, but apps will no longer be requesting higher memory allotments than they actually need, which results in less tombstoning and therefore: a faster, more seamless experience.

Microsoft was clever and makes Windows Phone 8.1 do this automatically, so it won't be necessary for developers to do anything special to take advance of this more advanced memory system. Works right out of the box.

2) Secondly, this does NOT necessarily mean that 1GB apps will suddenly make a mad dash to 512MB devices. Will some now be more easy to optimize and port for lower memory devices? Indeed, but it still will not magically apply to all 1GB devices.

Remember: apps are still limited in how much memory they can request, depending on how much memory is on the device (I unfortunately cannot recall the numbers at this time/ Furthermore, I don't know if Microsoft is changing memory allocation limits in WP8.1). So should 1GB apps and games require more memory than is allowed to be allocated on 512MB devices, then a port simply isn't possible.

However, now that the OS is more dynamic in memory allocation, it is indeed possible could bump up the limits just a smidge, giving games just the extra bit of memory they need to function.

Remember: this doesn't mean it will happen, and it partially depends on Microsoft bumping up the limits (doesn't matter if all 512MB of RAM are [somehow, considering RAM is required to just have the OS function, but I digress] free if a games that requires, say, 400MB to run, if it's limited to allowing being able to use 150MB of memory). Still, this does lay a foundation for the potential of things being much easier for game makers to port to lower memory devices.

Give this man a cookie. Looks like someone's been paying attention to detail in the BUILD session. Pretty much everything he said (if not all) is spot on.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
All I'm asking is that I never have to see that Resuming screen for multitasking apps! I have a 1020 with 2GB ram, so hopefully that will be gone with this update :)

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
So what is the low memory threshold where WP becomes unstable? My HTC one is 160mb my G2 is right at 200mb. And by threshold I mean bad lag.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
All I'm asking is that I never have to see that Resuming screen for multitasking apps! I have a 1020 with 2GB ram, so hopefully that will be gone with this update :)

Seeing as they said I'd be a rare sight on 1GB devices, I think those of us rocking 2GB devices will only see it if we've got several high graphics games open. :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So what is the low memory threshold where WP becomes unstable? My HTC one is 160mb my G2 is right at 200mb. And by threshold I mean bad lag.

Hard to say. RAM doesn't really directly impact performance and how laggy or smooth things run. As such, there's not a definite "threshold," per se.

Since I'm not at my Surface right now, that's what I'll leave you with, because I have not the patience to write out a full explanation on my 1020. Windows Phone may have the best virtual keyboard, but even it has its limits. And of course, nothing beats the real deal. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss