Ability to upgrade from non WP8 Update 3 (GDR3) to Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers

thelegendarcy

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

I've tried searching about this but didn't found anything. I guess it wasn't asked before.

I'm just curious if a phone that has let's say Windows Phone 8 GDR2 (or just plain Windows Phone 8 without GDR 1/2/3 updates) directly to Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers?
Or do I need to have Windows Phone 8 GDR3 for to be able to get the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers?

Thanks. :smile:

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

I've tried searching about this but didn't found anything. I guess it wasn't asked before.

I'm just curious if a phone that has let's say Windows Phone 8 GDR2 (or just plain Windows Phone 8 without GDR 1/2/3 updates) directly to Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers?
Or do I need to have Windows Phone 8 GDR3 for to be able to get the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers?

Thanks. :smile:

Yes, the phone will install every update leading to 8.1 all at once.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I guess, no matter what version you are on, windows phone will install all the necessary updates in the right sequence.

That happens all the time.

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
As it says during the update proces "All the Micrososft Updates are CUMULATIVE". So one way or another, you'll get GDR 3.
It is just faster when you install the latest version now already, because it might indeed be required before going to WP8.1;).

thelegendarcy

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess, no matter what version you are on, windows phone will install all the necessary updates in the right sequence.

It happend to my friend who doesn't received any update for his Ativ S since day 1. and when he tried to install GDR 3 Preview for Developers(as it is the only way to update his phone) it prevented him from doing so. and says he needs to be on GDR2 first.

As it says during the update proces "All the Micrososft Updates are CUMULATIVE". So one way or another, you'll get GDR 3.
It is just faster when you install the latest version now already, because it might indeed be required before going to WP8.1;).

Thanks guys! I guess I just wait for it next week to confirm it. But I guess it would be possible since it is a major OS update.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. Is it the carrier? I don't think it has anything to do with Samsung. I checked and the phone did get the updates. From the search it looks like it was one of the first models to get GDR2.

AJ98

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
My OS version is 8.0.10211.204. I have htc 8x. I downloaded the preview for developers app but it won't enroll me in the developer preview since my os version has to be higher than 8.0.10322.74 but when go to my settings it tells me that I am up to date. I have unbranded phone. It is unlocked and I am using it on tmobile in US. It is carrier is Telstra. How can I get the wp 8.1 if the preview for developers app won't let me pass ?

AJ98

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

no it will tell you to update your phone but if your carrier didn't pushed out the update. U r stuck like me.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There may be a way to manually apply an update. I remember when I hacked in one of the updates before we had the developer preview. There is somewhere where you can download any of the firmwares and then use a Nokia program to flash the phone.

AJ98

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I have HTC 8x, so I can't use Nokia updater. Telstra already released the gdr3 but I dont know y I still haven't got the update

AJ98

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
if you go to the store it will say in the description that you have to have gdr2 in order to enroll in the preview but yes it includes gdr3. but i still have gdr1 and telstra skipped gdr2 and went straight to gdr3 which was released on february 22 but i never got it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss