iCloud & Windows Phone 8.1

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So I finally convinced my stepdad to move to Windows Phone after three Androids and two iPhones, and he's slowly adapting to it. Thing is, he's heavy on contacts (1,000+), and he recently stored them in iCloud up until now. I haven't found a simple or batch method of converting them for Outlook.com yet (if anyone knows please share), so does anyone know if contact syncing with iCloud is coming in Windows Phone 8.1? I keep getting bugged daily...

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So I finally convinced my stepdad to move to Windows Phone after three Androids and two iPhones, and he's slowly adapting to it. Thing is, he's heavy on contacts (1,000+), and he recently stored them in iCloud up until now. I haven't found a simple or batch method of converting them for Outlook.com yet (if anyone knows please share), so does anyone know if contact syncing with iCloud is coming in Windows Phone 8.1? I keep getting bugged daily...

I highly doubt Apple will ever allow anything other than Apple to synchronise with iCloud... Though I'm sure there must be a way of getting the contacts out of iCloud and into a more compatible platform, surely!?

Edit: I clearly stand corrected... Didn't realise Apple allowed this?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I saw iCloud option in wp8.1 videos but can't comment on contact syncing. What I did with my old iPhone , I used Nokia transfer my data app , connected my pigs on with lumia 920 and voila I got all my contacts.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I saw iCloud option in wp8.1 videos but can't comment on contact syncing. What I did with my old iPhone , I used Nokia transfer my data app , connected my pigs on with lumia 920 and voila I got all my contacts.

I would recommend this, used it with an old Nokia, and with an android, worked perfectly, I don't know about iPhone, but I guess Nokia didn't miss the most sold phone around the globe. lol

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Darn, he sold his old iPhone so the transfer app is a bit redundant.. I did tell him he should keep it for a couple of days afterwards. I'll just have to hope for the best tomorrow since I enrolled his 1020 on the Dev Preview...

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Darn, he sold his old iPhone so the transfer app is a bit redundant.. I did tell him he should keep it for a couple of days afterwards. I'll just have to hope for the best tomorrow since I enrolled his 1020 on the Dev Preview...

no problem I found q way to import contacts on live id , you need a pc for that.
go to www.icloud.com and login with your stepdad apple id where had backed-up all his contacts , then click on contacts section. click on any contact to highlight it and then press ctrl+a to select all the contacts. Now you will be a settings icon (lower left side ) click on export Vcard and save the Vcard file.
since outlook uses CSV format to import we need to convert the download file (Vcard->CSV) , I use this website which converts the file online in seconds Online vCard Converter
just browse the file you just downloaded and tap on convert. Now save that file.
last step go to www.people.live.com and ask your dad to sign in, next click on Import contacts (on the front page ) then you will see some options from where you can import contacts from other sources , click on other (last option) now browse the CSV file we just converted and click on upload. Click on import and you will see all his icloud contacts syncing in Lumia 1020.
hope this helps you :smile:

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
no problem I found q way to import contacts on live id , you need a pc for that.
go to www.icloud.com and login with your stepdad apple id where had backed-up all his contacts , then click on contacts section. click on any contact to highlight it and then press ctrl+a to select all the contacts. Now you will be a settings icon (lower left side ) click on export Vcard and save the Vcard file.
since outlook uses CSV format to import we need to convert the download file (Vcard->CSV) , I use this website which converts the file online in seconds Online vCard Converter
just browse the file you just downloaded and tap on convert. Now save that file.
last step go to www.people.live.com and ask your dad to sign in, next click on Import contacts (on the front page ) then you will see some options from where you can import contacts from other sources , click on other (last option) now browse the CSV file we just converted and click on upload. Click on import and you will see all his icloud contacts syncing in Lumia 1020.
hope this helps you :smile:

Awesome! Thanks! One quick thing though, do I keep the settings on the converter as they are? Or is there a specific setting the People section requires?

EDIT: I just decided to leave the settings as they were and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! Thanks! One quick thing though, do I keep the settings on the converter as they are? Or is there a specific setting the People section requires?

EDIT: I just decided to leave the settings as they were and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

I used the default settings , I don't tinker much :p

KGun

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Does he know anyone with a Mac?
Maybe they could create a new user for him, he can sync his contacts in the new user, then bluetooth pair with Windows phone and use the Nokia Transfer My Data app to sync with phone?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Does he know anyone with a Mac?
Maybe they could create a new user for him, he can sync his contacts in the new user, then bluetooth pair with Windows phone and use the Nokia Transfer My Data app to sync with phone?

why need a mac when one can do the same on windows or just browser will be more than enough ;)

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I also thought Apple would never allow their cloud syncing with any other platform, but I have BB Q10 and it can sync Contacts, Calendars and mail with iCloud, no problem.

KGun

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
why need a mac when one can do the same on windows or just browser will be more than enough ;)

What I understand the problem to be is getting contacts stored in iCloud to his Windows phone. Having Windows or a browser has nothing to do with that part of it.
It can be done through the Nokia app if the iCloud contacts are on an Apple device. Once they are on the phone then Outlook.com will replace what iCloud does.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What I understand the problem to be is getting contacts stored in iCloud to his Windows phone. Having Windows or a browser has nothing to do with that part of it.
It can be done through the Nokia app if the iCloud contacts are on an Apple device. Once they are on the phone then Outlook.com will replace what iCloud does.

True but his father does not have iPhone , he sold it.

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
True but his father does not have iPhone , he sold it.
Himanshu, I have a iMac and Surface Pro2. I would like to copy all of my 1500 contacts onto my Outlook is there a easy way to do this? I also have 2 Windows phones, a 1520 and Icon. I am trying to go all Windows and get away from Apple as my main device. I am not too computer literate so I need a easy way to do this. I am loving Win8 and can't wait for win8.1.

KGun

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Which Nokia app are you talking about KGun?

In app store if it's not on your Windows phone, it's called "Transfer my Data", it is a Nokia app.
I struggled with getting my contacts over dragging one vCard at a time to my desktop then importing them but gave up after a couple. Then I found out about this app. It worked great but it will jumble around phone numbers labeling every number a mobile if there was only one number in the contact. If there was two, one as a home, one as a mobile, then they went properly.
If that makes sense.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140413_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140413_0001.png
    240.7 KB · Views: 6

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I highly doubt Apple will ever allow anything other than Apple to synchronise with iCloud... Though I'm sure there must be a way of getting the contacts out of iCloud and into a more compatible platform, surely!?

Edit: I clearly stand corrected... Didn't realise Apple allowed this?

Well I'll be damned... iCloud is indeed support in WP8.1...
iCloud Account Option.png

In that case, this is a very simple matter for the OP: Just pick up your dad's new Windows Phone, upgrade it to 8.1 via the Developer Preview (starting Monday), then you should be able to easily sync his contacts that way. At least, I would assume that's how it would work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12