iCloud & Windows Phone 8.1

KGun

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Well I'll be damned... iCloud is indeed support in WP8.1...
View attachment 62144

In that case, this is a very simple matter for the OP: Just pick up your dad's new Windows Phone, upgrade it to 8.1 via the Developer Preview (starting Monday), then you should be able to easily sync his contacts that way. At least, I would assume that's how it would work.

That looks like support for just iCloud email which it has now you just have to input the incoming and outgoing mail servers manually. It does work though, I did it this morning on 8.0.
I would be shocked if 8.1 supported any other iCloud syncing.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It's really weird to see; iCloud and Passbook are both supported in WP8.1. On the other hand, Apple refused MS's offer to have Skype working with FaceTime. The one thing that Apple originally said they wanted to make an open standard - FaceTime. Go figure.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So I finally convinced my stepdad to move to Windows Phone after three Androids and two iPhones, and he's slowly adapting to it. Thing is, he's heavy on contacts (1,000+), and he recently stored them in iCloud up until now. I haven't found a simple or batch method of converting them for Outlook.com yet (if anyone knows please share), so does anyone know if contact syncing with iCloud is coming in Windows Phone 8.1? I keep getting bugged daily...

Check this

Lost_Cosmonaut

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Was really happy to see native iCloud sync in WP8.1. I still use an iPhone so all my calendars and contacts are in iCloud. Android has programs that let you sync with iCloud but you have to hope some 3rd party developer isn't stealing your login info and data. So it was a pleasant surprise when I went to WP8.1 and saw native iCloud syncing. Awesome.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Nice addition to the OS, I wonder why WP central hasn't post about it?

Indeed, sounds like some pretty big news. This alongside the (maybe) support for Passbook in the Wallet app, it seems that perhaps Apple and Microsoft are uniting against Google.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck with setting up an iCloud account in 8.1? When I enter my user name and password, it tries to sync but then gives an error saying it needs my attention and that the account info is incorrect. I used the same details that I use on the web site, so I know this is correct. I have two-factor authentication, but even when turning this off it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Also does it syn anything other than your email? If it doesn't, I might as well not bother.

KGun

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck with setting up an iCloud account in 8.1? When I enter my user name and password, it tries to sync but then gives an error saying it needs my attention and that the account info is incorrect. I used the same details that I use on the web site, so I know this is correct. I have two-factor authentication, but even when turning this off it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Also does it syn anything other than your email? If it doesn't, I might as well not bother.

I set it up Monday for email and calendar and it has worked well.
I didn't do the contacts because by Monday I had already set up an abbreviated version of my contacts on my new 920 and live.com so I decided to leave well enough alone for now.

agmanuel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

It works for me very we'll, it sync mail, contacts and calendar also

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

Adrieth

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

Hi all,

I have the same problem that Gorki247. When I try to set up my iCloud account, I have an error - "account info is incorrect". I've tried with name.lastname, name.lastname@icloud.com and name.lastname@me.com as user name and my password from appleID. That always ask me to correct it.
Device : Nokia Lumia 635 - Win 8.10.12397.895

Obviously, certains persons didn't encounter this issue, what have you done on yours devices ?
In addition, my calendar (with wrong hour) and my contacts (not completely) are synchronized but none my mails.... Illogical.

Many thanks !

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I realize that this is an old-ish thread, but it's the one that popped up in search as I was sorting out this same issue, it's still relevant and I felt compelled to add.

My wife was happy to finally replace her iPhone with a Lumia yesterday; with this, we can remove all traces of itunes from our computers -- happy times. But before we could remove it, of course, we needed move all of her contacts over. For whatever reason, iTunes wasn't playing nice with her computer and wasn't syncing with the local Windows contacts so I took the easy route and added her contacts via syncing to her 'iCloud' account.

As I was sorting out her contacts, linking together various facebook/Outlook/iCloud/etc accounts, it dawned on me that this was a contact sync, NOT a contact import and that the 'iCloud' tag would always hang over the contacts from her old phone. This just didn't sit well with me -- the point of the move was to get out of the Apple ecosystem, not to have vestiges of it hanging around forever more. I don't want her contacts continually syncing with a completely cloud-based 3rd party service. 3 or 4 or 5 years down the line, I don't want her to have to try and remember what her iCloud login was... or to deal with a lapsed account... or deal with a compromised server...

In the end, I simply disconnected the iCloud account from her phone, which (or course) yanked out all of the contact info that had been added via iCloud, whether it was edited and linked to other contact entries or not (something that might have been concerning in a different situation). I then went with the other route suggested earlier and signed her in to icloud.com and exported/downloaded vcard info from her contacts. Her computer (Win8.1) was more than happy to add local contacts from that vcard file and, from there, sync to the new phone.

TL;DR: if you're not planning on maintaining an iCloud account, I would encourage you to not take the easy route by adding contacts via syncing to an iCloud account -- take a few more minutes to move contact info over properly by downloading the vcard info and importing it to your Contacts on your local machine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes