Before we get developer preview is it a good idea to hard reset or not?

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    04-13-2014 11:52 AM

I think its best to do it after since the backup in wp8.1is much improved than wp8.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-13-2014 12:01 PM
    Do a hard reset after the update.
    It will correct any glitches occurred to the OS during/after the update and 8.1 provides more backup options than 8.0.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-13-2014 12:18 PM
    Wait a minute. When you hard reset a phone, doesn't it reinstall the firmware/OS from the ROM? And when you update to WP8.1, does the update flash the ROM with the new OS? If the answer to the first question is YES and the 2nd question is NO, then doing a hard reset would revert your phone back to WP8.

I hope someone can confirm what happens exactly when you hard reset a phone and how wp8.1 is updated on our devices.
    04-13-2014 10:11 PM
    why do you need to hard reset? won't that erase apps and data?
    04-13-2014 10:20 PM
    I would assume so. I always factory reset after updates. GDR2 and GDR3 I factory reset after updating.

GDR3 removed apps that were present in GDR2 on first startup. I no longer had Angry Birds to uninstall unlike GDR2
    ven07 likes this.
    04-13-2014 10:21 PM
    Yep but some of us dont like the garbage left over after updating OS. Lots of temp files hidden away etc......
    ven07 likes this.
    04-13-2014 10:23 PM

If you don't want any of your app data go for a hard reset :)
    04-13-2014 10:24 PM
    I would assume so. I always factory reset after updates. GDR2 and GDR3 I factory reset after updating.
    No you don't, you reset the phone, that's all. If you were to reset to factory state, then you'd end up going back to WP8 as it was released in 2012 and you'd have to do all the updates all over again. Factory reset isn't something that's supported (it can be done, but not officially unless your carrier does it or you take the shady XDA type paths).

Resetting the phone after a big update can be helpful since, as others pointed out, you clear out all the garbage that WP8 and/or the update process might have collected. Your ROM will be updated to a WP8.1 image, so that's where the device will be restored from: a clean 8.1 install. Considering 8.1 will have pretty good restore options for all your start screen and such, it would seem like a good idea to update and then do a hard reset. I'd wait a couple days for good measure though, it's a new update and nobody knows how long the phone will take to sync all your settings and home screen to the cloud - most likely a few minutes, but better safe waiting 1/2 days than sorry, right? I plan to do this specifically to sort out all my Xbox music problems: since we're changing from the Music/Videos hub where I STILL cannot sync my playlists from Windows 8.1's Xbox Music app, I'm hoping after the update this will work, but I've tried so many times under WP8 that god knows how "dirty" those files are... I'd rather do a reset and have everything cleanly installed, then add all my music all over again. Fingers crossed I'll finally get my playlists on my phone without a) having to manually enter them on the phone or b) paying for an xbox music subscription!
    ven07 likes this.
    04-13-2014 11:04 PM
    I recommend u not to reset.
    As u know with wordflow keyboard coming to wp 8.1, it will be a hard time for you to write in ur language in English script. For eg, myfone has stored the few often used words as i type in hinglish. If hinglish or your native language is an option in the update, then there is no harm in resetting
    04-13-2014 11:21 PM
    To be fair, you can always re-add those specific words not in the dictionary as you type texts in the following days, it wouldn't take long until you've added them all back I would assume? Depends on how many they are I guess.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-13-2014 11:29 PM
    Do you guys think even keyboard stored words will be synced to OneDrive?
    04-13-2014 11:30 PM
    Do you guys think even keyboard stored words will be synced to OneDrive?
    I don't think so. It seems a bit overkill, especially because the keyboard is much better now.
    04-14-2014 12:18 AM
    To be Hard reset or not to be?
    I wouldn't do a hard reset.
    Unless there's some kind of disaster caused by the overwrite.
    A softboot should be plenty.
    04-14-2014 12:25 AM
    A hard reset is good, but I'm too lazy to setup all my apps again. Does the backup restore all your app settings? If it doesn't, I won't be doing it.
    04-14-2014 12:31 AM
    Good point. I did not do a hard reset. Everything working fine.

04-16-2014 08:20 AM
    I used to hard reset.

Back when I was playing around with WM6 and WM6.5 ROMs.

Haven't hard reset since WP7.

I remember those days! :D

sdreamer likes this.
    04-16-2014 08:28 AM
    I wouldn't do a hard reset.
    Unless there's some kind of disaster caused by the overwrite.
    A softboot should be plenty.
    Excellent, that's the principle I follow. No disaster...no hard reset but once in a while, like after mg 8.1 update, I soft reset.
    04-16-2014 08:34 AM
    I did a hard reset after installing the 8.1DP to clear my "other storage" which was approaching 7GB. As long as you do a backup beforehand, (and backup your camera roll to Onedrive) you'll have nothing to worry about. The hard reset will also, as mentioned above, clear out any garbage/junk files left by the update and give you a fresh clean install of 8.1DP.
    04-16-2014 08:36 AM
    Blast from the past!
    Nimdock likes this.
    04-16-2014 08:37 AM
    No you don't, you reset the phone, that's all. If you were to reset to factory state, then you'd end up going back to WP8 as it was released in 2012 and you'd have to do all the updates all over again. Factory reset isn't something that's supported (it can be done, but not officially unless your carrier does it or you take the shady XDA type paths).

Resetting the phone after a big update can be helpful since, as others pointed out, you clear out all the garbage that WP8 and/or the update process might have collected. Your ROM will be updated to a WP8.1 image, so that's where the device will be restored from: a clean 8.1 install. Considering 8.1 will have pretty good restore options for all your start screen and such, it would seem like a good idea to update and then do a hard reset. I'd wait a couple days for good measure though, it's a new update and nobody knows how long the phone will take to sync all your settings and home screen to the cloud - most likely a few minutes, but better safe waiting 1/2 days than sorry, right? I plan to do this specifically to sort out all my Xbox music problems: since we're changing from the Music/Videos hub where I STILL cannot sync my playlists from Windows 8.1's Xbox Music app, I'm hoping after the update this will work, but I've tried so many times under WP8 that god knows how "dirty" those files are... I'd rather do a reset and have everything cleanly installed, then add all my music all over again. Fingers crossed I'll finally get my playlists on my phone without a) having to manually enter them on the phone or b) paying for an xbox music subscription!
    i didnt know if you reset your phone, you will have to install all updates again. ireset my windows phone 8 after a small update and nothing happened. still in updated version
    04-18-2014 08:40 PM