Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Dear Microsoft, Please fix XYZ...

I'm a Microsoft fan and with each new realise I keep trying to love Windows Phone. I love the notification center and think 8.1 is a great improvement, but still can't commit. Here are some things that are keeping me away:

* Music app is the worst, sooo slow
* No voicemail for Skype - come on MS, you OWN Skype. I've had VM on Android for two years.
* Not being able to use Skype as my default dialer.
* No "Use Once / Use Always" feature for app-to-app communication like Android has. If I'm in one app that can sends texts, I want to be able to chose to send with TextNow, Telegram or something other than default SMS.
* Not being able to delete "saved" email addresses. WP saves every address I send something to and then clogs up my autocomplete with them. I send a lot of one time emails and I don't want them in my address book. This also sucks if you type in a wrong address. I put a friends address in wrong once and now every time I email him I have to look to make sure I don't pick the bad address that's saved forever. Errr!
* Not being able to get the apps my friends have, WP is still missing a lot. I met a MS developer who switched to Android after his divoice because WP didn't have Tinder, OKC or any of the dating apps he wanted.
* No devices with high speed video. This means no good sports clips and no slow-motion video. The iPhone's slow-mo is very cool and very fun.
* No devices with fingerprint readers.

I know that last two might seem like gimmicks, but so did the idea of an app store at first. If you are missing enough gimicks that people love, you will lose customers. And if you don't think the target market is people who like gimmicks, take a look at BlackBerry's history.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Dear Microsoft, Please fix XYZ...

• Add Georgian keyboard. It's already there on Windows XP, 7 & 8, but not on WP. Georgian alphabet is one of the unique alphabets, Mr. Nadella

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is a bug from the DP or not, but my yahoo mail account several times a day tells me it needs attention. I need to reinput my pw again. An hour later it wants me to do it again. Anyone know what might be going on? I've had the preview on my icon since the day it was released. This just recently started gradually and now almost every hour.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is a bug from the DP or not, but my yahoo mail account several times a day tells me it needs attention. I need to reinput my pw again. An hour later it wants me to do it again. Anyone know what might be going on? I've had the preview on my icon since the day it was released. This just recently started gradually and now almost every hour.

It might be from Yahoo. I have 5-6 mail accounts in the mail app on my home Win8 PC, the Yahoo account was always complaining, so I decided to leave it (I didn't even use it actually).

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I thought that might be a logical possibility. Since it just recently started and seems to be progressive I'll just blame yahoo for now and see what happens.

Asharon Baltazar

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Here's one you guys can do yourselves: Go to lock screen (with a code) and just slide it up. Then, pull down the notification shade and press the Wi-Fi shortcut. You can see the keypad numbers on the bottom of the screen but not coming up. Only after some time, do they come up.

gomes920

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My calendar app (both on Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1) suddenly are not synchronizing events prior to March, 2014. All the events are there when I'm using Calendar via Outlook.com but they won't show up in their respective apps.
Any help?

Scott MacMurdo1

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I have upgraded my Nokia Lumia 1520 to win mobile 8.1 about 1 week ago. I am happy with the available new features. But yet I face some annoying bugz with it.

1. Phone hung often. Restart it using power key also not working properly on such time.
2. Touch screen is horrible. "Swipe" is detected as "Tap" most of the times and it opens unwanted applications ( this happened in 8.0 too)
3. Some times screen does not unlock with the power button. Also cannot lock it using power button.
4. If you double tap on your gallery photo using two fingers, it will zoom the screen, but you can not zoom out it. when u go to home.all the home tiles also zoomed. You can see huge tiles and huge letters. Restart the device is the work around. So much annoying.
5. I use automatic screen brightness. When I go under sunlight, fb photos and chat photos of other users showing in very very high contrast. ( like a negative)
6. Sometime whole screen goes like a negative for 1-3 seconds and back to normal soon.
7. Sometimes wifi or data network does not work. you need to switch it off and on again to make it work.
8. Most of the time Viber, Gmail, Whatsapp, FB chat lag so slow and hung. you cannot save pics sent by whatsapp sometimes. It shows the download icon, but never download.
9. Notification for most of viber chats are receiving about 15mins later of the real chat appear.
10. FB application is not optimized as wished. No integration of "FEELING" option under posting a status. to see some comments, you need to press icons hardly few times to open.
11. Browser shows the web site is loading and completed loading. But still showing a pure white screen. nothing else. This happens often on chrome and internet explorer too.
12. Yes obviously battery life reduced for like 5-6 hours of standby and phone is hot sometimes.
13. As a summary, most of the applications lags, hungs and super slow. Now also my GMAIL app hung and gonna restart the phone :unhappy:

I am a previous Android user and I miss the fast response of Android OS most of the time. But I still love Lumia design , rich look and Cam quality.

Hope the official win mob 8.1 update will give answers to all of the bugz. :smile:

Please share your thoughts if you are also facing these issues.

1. Ditto. Upon unlock, hangs on LOADING or RESUMING. Sometimes I can hit the camera button and then back out and it will be okay. Most of the time, have to power down, swipe down, and start over.
2. Ditto. The initial touch of a swipe is recognized as a tap, no matter how soft I try to be in the initial contact.
3. See #1.
I don't use viber or fb or any of the other apps you're having problems with, so have no contribution.

p.vivekkumar

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't know whether its been faced but somebody else or not as I confess, I am too lazy to read all above posts in the thread. I am facing this problem since few days. Sometimes my Phone becomes unresponsive or say, it freezes. In that condition, I can not open lock screen. if I am on start screen, I can not select or move anywhere or if I am in call, I can not cut the call. I need to do Soft Reset to rectify that.

I have Lumia 920, I feel after 3rd WP 8.1 updation, I am facing this.

Secondly, left side of my headphone stop working, I need to restart my phone to make it working. This is happening since day first of 8.1 updation.

I don't know but i feel, every now and then Soft Reset and Restart is not advisable.

Requesting help from forum.

Last edited:

ivdza

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I had problems with my Lumia 520,similar to everyone here. 10 days ago i hard reset my phone but without backing up of previous back up. I then install what i want from scratch and my phone is literally flying now. I am using viber,whatsapp,messenger...a lot and everything is smooth and looks awesome... I have Wp 8.1,dev prev,fully updated :)

hasanmajed

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello today i was trying to give my sisters phone internet by internet sharing but everytime she puts the password and click join the say unable to join can u plzz tell me why my phone doesnt give internet sharing

Sundberg

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 925, Sweden. Windows Phone 8.10.12397.895
The phone dies/turns off/crashes/shuts down every now and then (like once a week). Cannot find a pattern in it either. Today it happened at the office with no WIFI/BT/GPS on. Last week it happened sometime during the night (where it lies on a Wireless charger (Nokia DT-901) making me sleep one hour longer (alarm on phone did obviously not work) ;-)
It has never happened while I use it.
Phone starts up after a soft reset.
Did a hard reset some weeks ago, but problem is still here :/
Anyone experience the same? Anyone have any suggestions?

Rick Griffin

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't get these people complaining about issues on pre-release sw... There's 2 components; the OS build & the vendor's fw, you cannot expect a seamless experience w/o a final release that combines them. If your experience is horrid then 1st; do a soft-reset, if that fails then, do a factory/hard-reset, failing that, flash back to 8.0, simple. Once 8.1 is out officially alongside the ODM's (e.g. Nokia, HTC etc) fw, you can expect a far more reliable experience. Certainly if it's a Nokia, not so much if it's something else, for reasons that have been explained many times before.

Thanks for the note. I must have been wrong - I thought this was a thread to post bugs and defects. I will be more careful in posting in the future.

Rick Griffin

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Followed advice I found to uninstall Clock Hub. I had major issues - and after uninstalling Clock Hub and doing a soft reset (not sure the soft reset was necessary) ALL of my issues went away. So it turns out that the 367 posts in this thread that told me I'm stupid and I needed to go back to WP 8.0 were wrong. Go figure.

So if you have Clock Hub installed and are having problems, try uninstalling it. It was the one thing I had not tried. I very much appreciate those who pointed this out in another thread.

Rick Griffin

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
It might be worth researching the Clock Hub issue and posted an article on the main site page for all of the folks who installed it after the first Clock Hub article that recommended it. If it is a prevalent problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans