Project my screen option

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
hi guys, now that we got to install the preview. anyone here got the idea on how to make use of the option project my screen? got my phone connected through usb, pc installed a new driver.. all it says on the phone is "searching.." :amaze:

AdamUCF

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like even the supported devices (Lumia 1520) will need a firmware update to do screen projection via Miracast but I think we would just need an app on the PC side to receive it. Can't find anywhere offering it to download though. The latest WP app for desktop doesn't include it.

Edit... saw this tweet earlier:
Peter Bright ‏@DrPizza: @mikehole I don't think it's out yet, but someone set me up ��.

Last edited:

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you'll be able to project via Miracast to a PC - Windows 8.1 supports Miracast but only to project to a Miracast receiver (i.e. it's a sender). You'd need either a very new Smart TV with Miracast or something like the Netgear PTV3000 to utilise Miracast. But even then, a firmware update will be required.

By the looks of it, you can 'project' using a Micro USB > HDMI Cable but i don't know if Microsoft have published the specification of cable you need yet.

AdamUCF

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I doubt you'll be able to project via Miracast to a PC - Windows 8.1 supports Miracast but only to project to a Miracast receiver (i.e. it's a sender). You'd need either a very new Smart TV with Miracast or something like the Netgear PTV3000 to utilise Miracast. But even then, a firmware update will be required.

By the looks of it, you can 'project' using a Micro USB > HDMI Cable but i don't know if Microsoft have published the specification of cable you need yet.
Yes, Miracast is separate and will only be supported on newer devices (Icon/930, 1520) with a yet-to-be-released firmware update. There have been rumors that Xbox One and maybe Xbox 360 will get Miracast receiver support but that hasn't materialized yet. I don't think Windows 8.1 as a receiver but there's really no reason Microsoft couldn't add it one day.

But what should be available to everyone now is the USB support. This isn't standard USB > HDMI stuff. It's USB > USB on a PC that requires an application on the PC to receive the video. It's what they've been using at conferences and whatnot for ages. It used to require a different OS build than was made available publicly but now they're including it in 8.1. Just need that desktop application to receive the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786