Has anyone reset their 1520 after the WP 8.1 update?

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Quick Update: after allowing the phone to shut itself off, I was able to perform a power-on hard-reset and while it's a clean-slate it does appear to be OK now.

I've got my suspicions that the SD Card may have had something to do with this but considering I couldn't even get it up in a crippled state to check I'll probably never know...

- Michael

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Quick Update: after allowing the phone to shut itself off, I was able to perform a power-on hard-reset and while it's a clean-slate it does appear to be OK now.

I've got my suspicions that the SD Card may have had something to do with this but considering I couldn't even get it up in a crippled state to check I'll probably never know...

- Michael

Thanks for the update.

Kallekleiven

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Has anyone reset their 1520 (RM-937) after the WP 8.1 update?

I just factory resetted my Lumia 1520 after updating to 8.1, and it went smoothly.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The issue I ran into with my 1520 this morning (and I've got that 128GB Sandisk in there...) was the upgrade seemed to go smoothly but any App that was accessing the SD-Card (Camera App, Photo App, Video App, Storage Sense App, etc... etc...) wouldn't launch at all when invoked. A simple power-down and power up wouldn't fix the problem, and the soft-reset resulted in the BSOD. After that I pulled the SD-Card, did a power-up-hard-reset and other than having a wiped phone, all seems to be well.

That the problem is related to the SD-Card is pure speculation on my part but historically this is not the first time that the combination of the two (MS Dev/Test O/S plus SD Card) has caused me grief as I had similar issues with the upgrade from 7.0 to 7.5 on a Samsung Focus and then again with an early version of Nokia Amber on a Lumia 822.

You'd think I would learn....

I'm up and running though, just plugged the card back in and have copied my Music library over. One thing I like about the new Music app is that you can now tell it to look at "just" the Music on the SD Card, xBox Music Cloud, or Both. Much happier about that. Album Art recognition seems to be better as well but it still missed a few when moving my music over.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Updated to 8.1 and did a soft reset. I have a adata 64GB microsd card and have not had any issues at all. I don't think there's a need to do a full hard reset unless something went terribly wrong during the update process. My phone is running as smooth as butter without doing a hard reset.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I just restored my 1520 to factory settings post-8.1 update, went smoothly without any problems. I have a 64GB SD card which I left in, it gives you the option of wiping the SD card too.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just restored my 1520 to factory settings post-8.1 update, went smoothly without any problems. I have a 64GB SD card which I left in, it gives you the option of wiping the SD card too.

As the old saying goes, your mileage may vary....

Actually if feedback on forums and socials networks are any indication, I imagine things are going pretty smoothly for most. It will be interesting to see if MS has any feedback in the next few days regarding the % of support requests, etc...

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So far so good on my update, no reset or anything. I don't even know what a soft reset it and what it does. But it burned 70% of my battery installing the 8.1 and playing with it for a while. I hope the quick battery burn isn't a reflection of what to expect. If it burns faster, they I will try a hard reset....

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I installed 8.1 fully, used it for a couple minutes THEN did a hard reset. I'm having no problems at all! It's awesome actually! Off topic but one thing I appreciate is the keyboard not taking up half the screen any more! Yet it's still perfectly usable! And the fake swipe is awesome

No sd card either! I'm holding out for an extreme plus 128 GB card!

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Updated to 8.1 and did a soft reset. I have a adata 64GB microsd card and have not had any issues at all. I don't think there's a need to do a full hard reset unless something went terribly wrong during the update process. My phone is running as smooth as butter without doing a hard reset.

Update: I ended up doing a hard reset because my live tiles stopped working. They all just fail to update.

I think I'm still having the same problem this morning as well as my tiles haven't updated in over an hour.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6