04-16-2014 07:17 PM
48 12
tools
    Of course there are more good things than bad, I love the 3rd column of tiles, transparant wallpaper tiles, notification center (missing a few things though), CORTANA, better GMail, etc.

But I really wonder what's their reason for adding the games to the app list- -

Posted with WPCentral for Android on Asus Transformer Pad
    Like MikeSo said, this is for the positives. Regardless, adding games to the app list doesn't make the OS experience any "worse" does it. I helps newbies that are completely clueless about WP to get used to the OS faster by not having to search for the games hub and then search for the game they want to play (this is what I think their reason behind it is)
    04-14-2014 06:12 PM
    Swype, notification centre, CORTANA, start screen backgrounds, WiFi sense, battery sense and absolutely love storage sense. For me though I'm really liking embedded vids in the new internet explorer, the change has taken the weave app to another level. Cant wait for wpcentral to follow. Also love the new start up screen, the wp8 one was very bright and blue. This new one puts it in line with Windows desktop.
    MikeSo likes this.
    04-14-2014 06:15 PM
    In the Windows Store you can now see that you have an app INSTALLED.
    04-14-2014 06:15 PM
    Yeah, also that though I'm still waiting for store to come back online in the UK. Also, does anyone seeing the updated games hub from the leaks? Wonder what happened.
    04-14-2014 06:16 PM
    I like everything that I've played with so far, the only exception being the Music App which sucks bad. Using Nokia Music as a workaround but I hope Microsoft updates it soon.
    meddyrainzo likes this.
    04-14-2014 06:37 PM
    pretty cool feature with multitasking....when you hold the left arrow down and you get the list of running apps, instead of having to touch the x at the top right corner of the app, you can just swipe it down and it closes the app. Sort of like you do on an Iphone.
    Nice find! I didn't know this, but I like this feature.
    04-14-2014 06:45 PM
    IE11 is a lot better than I thought.

Check out these 8 new kickass features in IE11 on Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone Central

Btw, who knows how to turn on the inprivate browsing?
    04-14-2014 07:16 PM
    +920 working great. Had issues with the store and xbox music at first. During the first few hours, xbox music refused to show any music on my device. But now it all works fine. I'm loving the more tiles thing! I also love how you can use cortana to search text messages.
    04-14-2014 07:28 PM
    It's a bit dark but look for my nail. LOL

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/4y9y4era.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/8e3ybuqa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/mazavara.jpg

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    I just facepalmed! Can't believe I missed that. Thanks a lot!
    This update is getting critically praised by almost every site out there. Finally, WP is beginning to get people's attention in a very positive way
    Septembersrain likes this.
    04-14-2014 07:41 PM
    I am very pleased with the update. Sadly, I expected pages and pages of negative posts today so thank you for starting this one!

I really like Cortana, I see myself using her a lot. Notification center is pretty cool, and I like the updates to the calendar.
    04-14-2014 08:19 PM
    One last thing. How do you make Here apps get the accent color like in this picture below
    wp81-main.jpg
    04-14-2014 08:41 PM
    One last thing. How do you make Here apps get the accent color like in this picture below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp81-main.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	62508
    It's a background picture not an accent.
    Go to Settings>Start+theme>Choose Background>Backgrounds>And it should be the 2nd option.
    meddyrainzo likes this.
    04-14-2014 08:50 PM
    It's a background picture not an accent.
    Go to Settings>Start+theme>Choose Background>Backgrounds>And it should be the 2nd option.
    Yeah, I already know how to do that. My question here is that in this picture, HERE apps also have the background color. On my phone, the here apps are just purple. They aren't skinned along with the tiles
    04-14-2014 08:55 PM
    I've been so busy thinking about the things that have been broken or changed for the worse that this escaped me. Also auto-updating apps! No more doing the 8/1/2011 trick to get updates to show on the store tile.
    Wilsen Hernandez likes this.
    04-14-2014 10:34 PM
    There is a lot to be positive about in the update. One thing I did not expect is that I finally have Data Sense. ATT disabled it in whichever GDR update, but now, thanks to the magic of developer preview, it is back.

Read View is nice in IE11. Surprisingly fast, too. I was on the ugly-on-the-phone WPCentral site, hit the read view icon and instantly had a beautiful article.

Swipe to go back in IE11 is a feature I am happy they transferred from Windows 8.

Also happy I can put the cursor in the middle of a word with one touch. Cursor control is much easier.

Inline video.

I like the update.
    ajb1965 likes this.
    04-15-2014 08:33 AM
    I really like it so far. It's a developer preview so I expected some weirdness. WP8.1 is a huge improvement in many ways.

I was super happy to see they have a history of which apps have been updated. Lack of a history is why I turned off auto-updating on Win8.

From what I've seen many of issues people have can be fixed by updates to the individual apps which can now be handled via the store. A large part of this update was allowing the apps to integrate into the OS rather than MS integrating various apps. I'm really hoping there'll be a avalanche of updates to things like facebook, twitter, music, etc. To make them 8.1 compatible (and in Music's case useable)
    04-15-2014 08:56 AM
    i have zero problem with WP8.1. Correction I have zero problem with some minor problem that I encounter here and there. It's great, love the action centre, hmm Cortana...still exploring not that useful to me for now. All the tiny changes/improvements are great so far. I'm sure they'll roll out updates to fix some complaints regarding music app etc.
    04-15-2014 11:44 AM
    Something has been fixed that has existed since WP7. When you scroll down your home screen quickly and hit the home button real fast, the screen no longer jumps up and down!

One of my favorite games was to see how many "jumps" I could get.

This counts as a positive, right?
    04-15-2014 01:02 PM
    I love it, I don't understand what most of the complaints are about. IE 11 is also amazing.
    04-15-2014 01:03 PM
    No problems at all. Extra tiles on my 822 are fine. I didn't expect that I would like them.
    I'm hav'n a great time with all the great features.
    04-15-2014 01:08 PM
    IE11 is a huge improvement over the previous version. I love reading mode, use it all the time now.
    04-16-2014 12:52 PM
    I see a lot of people spazzing out all over the board because 8.1 has added or removed some function of the OS that they liked. I for one quite like the update and have not encountered any issues on my 920 as of yet.

Anyone else not pulling their hair out?
    I love about 85% of what was done. My only real concerns are the decrease in integration with the people hub/me tile, xbox music, and putting games in the app list. I like everything else quite a bit. Cortana is pretty awesome, particularly considering it is a beta test version of that function. I love having the quiet hours and have been waiting for that since the day the 920 was released. I really like the action/notification center, though I can see some room for improvement going forward. I use cal rather than the native calendar app so I am not fired up about what was done there they way some people are. I like the skinned tiles as well, and the new version of IE seems a definite improvement to me.

All in all, I really like what they did, and hope that over time they will fix some of the things that they shouldn't have, not to mention some of the things which have sucked since day one, like xbox music.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 04-16-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    04-16-2014 04:35 PM
    I'm pretty happy with a lot of this update: Cortana, Action Center, IE 11, Swipe (I wasn't sure how useful I'd find it, but after a few minutes of fooling around with it, I've become a big fan), the Store (very impressed with the improvements here), start screen backgrounds, VPN support, data/wifi/storage sense, calendar, camera, separate volume controls + more alert customization, NFC improvements, better backup system and God knows what else I'm forgetting.

Some things that others have seen as negatives, but I look at more as changes that just take some getting used to: Music/podcasts/games/video now as apps (hopefully, the advantages of seeing much more frequent updates outweigh any negatives), People/Me tiles becoming more appcentric with their functionality (this could turn out well once more apps take advantage of it. It is a bit jarring, for those of us who were used to how those hubs work, but I'm approaching it from a wait and see perspective while I get myself used to the changes) and once again, many things that I've forgotten to mention.

In summary, I find my experience a positive one. I love most of the changes and some of the changes I'll give a little time to get used to. Being different, doesn't necessarily translate into being bad.
    04-16-2014 07:17 PM
48 12