8.1 positivity thread

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I see a lot of people spazzing out all over the board because 8.1 has added or removed some function of the OS that they liked. I for one quite like the update and have not encountered any issues on my 920 as of yet.

Anyone else not pulling their hair out?

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it's very nice. It's as close to Android as I want it to be without actually dealing with Android as far as features go.

IE11 is great because you can now go back with the back button after accessing it from the start screen, used to just back you out of the whole app.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I see a lot of people spazzing out all over the board because 8.1 has added or removed some function of the OS that they liked. I for one quite like the update and have not encountered any issues on my 920 as of yet.

Anyone else not pulling their hair out?
I'm in complete agreement with you. No real problems have plagued me and I like the changes so far. We'll see what issues/annoyances pop up over time, but as of now, I'm plenty satisfied.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think it's very nice. It's as close to Android as I want it to be without actually dealing with Android as far as features go.

IE11 is great because you can now go back with the back button after accessing it from the start screen, used to just back you out of the whole app.

Or you can swipe back to the previous page like in Windows 8.

Not having any problems myself, definitely are some changes I dont agree with but overall I think its a much better OS now.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
i don't like...............

I LOVE IT!
everyone working fine,i disabled the background because it looks ugly since 95% of my apps aren't see through

AzmoD3uS

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
This is the most awesome update EVER!

except for one thing that caused me a one-second heart attack.... Please allow me to post this here just as a bit of a warning to anyone still updating:

had Facebook beta installed and apparently, WP 8.1 integrates only with the 8.1 FB App which should be downloaded, which i did.

So i uninstalled the FB Beta app. noticed my me tile disappeared, my People tile got messed up because all links were undone. I tried going to the accounts setting, but it would kick me out as soon as i accessed the setting. Needless to say, i panicked, and the prospect of doing a hard reset was something i did not want to do.

However, i did try opening the new FB app and then and there after logging in to FB, it asked me if i wanted to integrate FB with the phone... and this fixed the issues.... WHEW!!!

Anyway... this is such a refreshing update. It's a new experience, in my opinion! Love Cortana most especially! Worked exactly as demoed during build too! :)

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Great update! I wasn't part of the dev preview for any of the GDR updates because I guess I wanted 'official stability'....but for 8.1, I wasn't going to wait on my carrier for a half year to release it...considering all these lovely features.

if you're still debating to 'developer unlock' your WP, just do it!!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Enjoying this.
Like a whole new world.
Definitely a new adventure here.
That's what everybody wanted whether they like it or or not :smile:

Good experience with 8.1 preview on my phones.
The guys saying that Cortana needs a reset might be jumping too soon.
Cortana seems to mature over time and gets responsive the more the user interacts.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I like podcasts being moved to their own app. Now I just need them to release the same app for Windows 8 with play data syncing between each version.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Mines in update mode now and was wondering how many found it necessary to do a hard reset back to stock. Was thinking id do a full reset anyway just to get a fresh start. I'm used to updating android and it seemed pretty necessary there. Anyone else do the reset?
EDIT: wow, update went smooth as silk. Everything seems back in its place. Not going to worry about resetting if this is how its going to be.

Last edited:

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I am finally able to send emails through the SMTP server from my work. Before this update it would always fail. I think it had to do with the HELO EHLO configuration but I am not sure since we never dealt with the issue.

:cool: :grin:

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Positives on WP8.1

While we have a thread listing what you dislike on 8.1, I figured it would be nice to have one just for the positives

I love the new startscreen.
I love the notification center. Didn't realize how much I needed it till today
Cortana just rocks
I might be in the minority here but I like how the people hub and me tile are implemented. Now 3rd party apps can integrate with it and the FB app for WP8.1 is so fast and smooth(at least on the 1520).

So what do you guys love about the 8.1 and how many of you non-WP users are considering a WP cause of the 8.1 update?

karmacoma

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Positives on WP8.1

I really want to use VPN, some may know that youtube is blocked in turkey, but i guess there is no VPN app in store at the moment.
Can I create profile manually? if so, how? help please.

draconianchaos

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

I purchased a 520 just for the 8.1 update. I noticed the need for the action center straight away coming from Android. Memory management seems to be improved. I liked wp8 for the week or so I used it. On the fence about the Swype input.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

pretty cool feature with multitasking....when you hold the left arrow down and you get the list of running apps, instead of having to touch the x at the top right corner of the app, you can just swipe it down and it closes the app. Sort of like you do on an Iphone.

lumia720NL

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

pretty cool feature with multitasking....when you hold the left arrow down and you get the list of running apps, instead of having to touch the x at the top right corner of the app, you can just swipe it down and it closes the app. Sort of like you do on an Iphone.

Oh yeah I didn't noticed that, but it is a pretty cool feature!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

IE11 finally having a "navigate forward" function! It only took a couple of years. ;)
The option to have 6 columns of tiles.
The new more accurate text selection tool.
The quick settings toggles.
VPN
Separate volume controls
The swipe keyboard - I now understand everyone who has an Android phone why they were reluctant to give it up just based on that one feature (when iOS 8 is announced in a couple of months they will surely have it too and it will probably be magical and everyone will then act as if it always existed on iOS). The WP8.1 keyboard is overall an amazing feat.

Really, so many things! It was quicker and simpler to list the things I didn't like, for sure. Which is great. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss