Bug with adding a NEW Gmail account in WP8.1?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
After d/l the WP8.1 Dev Preview I needed a new Gmail account. I created one from scratch and made sure I could login just fine from my PC. That all worked just fine.

After sending test emails back and forth from my existing Gmail account just fine, I went to add the new Gmail account to my phone.

All went well and smoothly. There is one thing though.
Under the setting: Download new email, I do NOT have the option to set the interval to "as items arrive".

I checked my other Gmail accounts and all the other ones that were on the phone PRIOR to the upgrade have this option. Any NEW accounts I add since doing the upgrade do NOT have this option. I created another dummy account to test.

I definitely need the "as items arrive" setting. I may try adding Gmail as an "Other" type and manually enter the info. Does anyone else see this? Thanks!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
To fix the Gmail syncing bug disable calendar sync to fix the issue...thanks!

Thanks, I turned that off and I still don't have the option to sync as items arrive. I'll leave it alone for a bit, maybe it needs to update something on the Gmail end. I don't get any errors when syncing, I just need that one option.

mehsdomi

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I turned that off and I still don't have the option to sync as items arrive. I'll leave it alone for a bit, maybe it needs to update something on the Gmail end. I don't get any errors when syncing, I just need that one option.

Try restarting your phone. Also go into the actual email client and try to change it, not the one in settings with email+accounts

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
What if I would like to have the gmail calendar showing up. Is this simply no longer working?? If so, how could such a major bug slip through?

Cheers
Mick

1) That wasn't my question.
2) Hard to troubleshoot your problem unless you provide some detail as to how you added your gmail account and which settings you picked.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Try restarting your phone. Also go into the actual email client and try to change it, not the one in settings with email+accounts

Thanks. Restarted phone. Still no option for "as items arrive"

Not using a client, just the native WP settings to add a Google account.

Vladimir Hidalgo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Gmail disabled EAS support, the "hack" of using Gmail as ActiveSync/Exchange (m.google.com) not longer works.

Gmail disabled this for normal accounts, now it only works on paid accounts.

Obviously to favor Android because they say: "this does not affect Android because it uses our selected protocols".

The death of Google’s ActiveSync support, and what it means for you | GrexIt Blog
It’s users of Windows Phone 7.5 and 8 that will be hit the hardest as while WP supports IMAP mail access, it does not yet offer CalDAV and CardDAV.

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Gmail disabled EAS support, the "hack" of using Gmail as ActiveSync/Exchange (m.google.com) not longer works.

Obviously to favor Android because they say: "this does not affect Android because it uses our selected protocols".

The death of Google’s ActiveSync support, and what it means for you | GrexIt Blog

Ok, now this makes more sense as the accounts I CAN set for "as items arrive" are part of a paid domain and the ones I just created are free Gmail accounts. There is one exception to this. I have an account that I created YEARS ago as a free Gmail account and I can set it to "as items arrive". I wonder if it was grandfathered in somehow.
Looks like I'll just create some Outlook.com addresses to use for this.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I created an Outlook.com address and THAT one doesn't have the "as items arrive" option either. GRR!!!! I wonder what I need to do to add an account that has the "as items arrive" setting???

Vladimir Hidalgo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
It's weird because I tried removing and creating agian an Outlook.com account and I do have the option "as items arrive". Be sure to create your account using the "Outlook.com" option.

Also Google did not disable the EAS option for those accounts activated before 17 April 2013 or something like that.

Google makes Gmail sync harder on rival platforms by dropping Exchange ActiveSync for consumers | The Verge
The situation on Windows Phone may be more dire, with Google deciding not to offset the end of EAS with apps as it has on iPhone.

Google Sync will be fully supported for people who have paid for a Google Apps account for business, government, or education. For consumers, Google says that Sync will no longer be available on new accounts beginning on January 30th, 2013 — but it will still work for users who have already set it up. Calendar Sync support is already gone for new users, though again existing setups will continue to work.

Another WP8.1 change is that Gmail accounts are added through a Google interface and it's pretty much the same screen that you use to log in in sites with your Google account, I guess this is a step forward to implement the same sync method as Android, maybe this leads to real time updates in the future.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It's weird because I tried removing and creating agian an Outlook.com account and I do have the option "as items arrive". Be sure to create your account using the "Outlook.com" option.

Also Google did not disable the EAS option for those accounts activated before 17 April 2013 or something like that.

Google makes Gmail sync harder on rival platforms by dropping Exchange ActiveSync for consumers | The Verge

Another WP8.1 change is that Gmail accounts are added through a Google interface and it's pretty much the same screen that you use to log in in sites with your Google account, I guess this is a step forward to implement the same sync method as Android, maybe this leads to real time updates in the future.

K. I'll try removing the Outlook.com mailbox and re-adding it. I did make sure I was using the Outlook.com choice when adding it to my phone in the first place.

As for the other Gmail account that has the "as items arrive", yeah it WAY predates that day. Good info to know.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this is starting to annoy me. I used the Outlook.com setting to add a new account and re-added the mailbox I wanted and I STILL don't have the "as items arrive" option.

I'm going to try and create an account in my paid Gmail domain and see if that will work.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, something else is going on here. I just added a Gmail account from my PAID Gmail domain and I didn't get the "as items arrive" option. Something else is going on here.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this isn't a Gmail issue. I tried adding a variety of email types and NONE of them allow for the "as items arrive" option. Could there be a limit to the # of accounts that can be added and set for "as items arrive"?

srini09

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Can empathize. I am struggling with the same problem myself. I have 5 gmail accounts syncing in my WP 8.1 (on Lumia 1520). When I had added these accounts initially, none of these accounts had "as items arrive" option. But just a week earlier, 3 of my accounts (all Google Apps Free accounts) automatically had gone into "as items arrive" option. The remaining two (one a google apps free account) and another a normal google account were still stuck in the "once in 15 mins" option with "as items arrive" option unavailable. What was really tough to gulp was that these 2 accounts were of more importance to me! I am absolutely unable to get "as items arrive" option for these two accounts. When you know the option is there but you can't get, one tends to go insane.

Srini

srini09

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Solved the issue after referencing related issues reported elsewhere. WP8.1 can't handle more than 3 accounts on "as items arrive" basis. You will have to choose which three accounts you want to sync real time..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism