Unable to reposition text cursor by holding?

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I was just writing a text message on shiny new WP8.1, and tried to re-position cursor to start of line, by holding down until yellow drag cursor appears, as usual. Nothing happened. Anyone else experienced this, or just me? Is there now an alternative way of doing this?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Looks like now the easiest method is to just tap at the end of the message to get the cursor and move it from the little circle that shows up.

I liked that holding method way better. Or maybe I was just used to it.

Nick Derrico

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It looks like they changed this behavior. The cursor looks different and sits closer under your finger, much like on Android. Just press somewhere empty in the text field and the new cursor appears.

I much prefer the way it was in WP8 where the cursor floated above your finger. I'm not sure why they changed it, other than maybe new adopters found the old way confusing.

K3n1x

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the new way better. Tap and hold where you want the cursor and it will appear. Then you can move it around. Easier to reposition if the cursor is not exactly where you want.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I was just writing a text message on shiny new WP8.1, and tried to re-position cursor to start of line, by holding down until yellow drag cursor appears, as usual. Nothing happened. Anyone else experienced this, or just me? Is there now an alternative way of doing this?

Noticed that too. I had JUST gotten used to holding down and waiting. Guess will have to train myself to do it a diff way now.

Atticuscr

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The same thing!! I really loved the old method to reposition the text indicator instead the new "Copy-Cat"-like Android repositioning system

78Bytes

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the real reason they changed it was to match Windows 8. I personally would have liked them to change the way Windows 8 handled the cursor positioning with touch to match Windows Phone 8 instead of the other way around.

Edit: After playing around with it for a bit after I posted this I guess it isn't so bad. The hit target on the cursor slider is fairly large and not too difficult to move around once you realize the old way is gone. Just have to get out of the habit of always wanting to hold my finger down first.

Stokesperc1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I actually find the new way much more difficult because my finger is so large it covers the text in trying to place the curser in. I'd like there to be an option in setting to get the old one back. Or at least give me more offset from the cutest while moving my finger around to get a better view.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99