Warning: Hard reset after 8.1 may screw your service (Sprint/ATIV S Neo)

Christian Vantu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
You are awesome! After losing my data ability, I have been searching for Sprint APNs and everything to no avail. The "device self service" kept saying that the phone was already activated. So it came as easy as this!

press ##72786# and it will kick you to the SCRTN screen. If you press 'ok' twice, your network settings will be wiped (copied from you)
then run "device self service"

Data ability came back.

I know not having MMS is a slight blow for some, but I am sure we can handle not sending group texts and pictures for a few months. Not having data would have been an absolute blow. Thankfully, the phone reset allows all my apps (aside from Visual Voicemail) to work properly. Cortana wasn't working properly and neither were several apps (like Maps). However, due to this thread, you saved me months of a near useless phone.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I am very happy to be of assistance. Luckily, I used to work at a Sprint service/repair store before my current sales-only store so I managed to learn some tips, being a phone geek also helps.

As Dorelse asked, I do think we'll have to wait until Sprint's official release to see our problems fixed... but as it is now, we're 80% of the way there. We just need MMS to work, get the option to update profile, get the Sprint Apps section in the store to return and hopefully proper voicemail integration! Other than that, I'm happy with 8.1 and it seems to be a solid update.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy to be of assistance. Luckily, I used to work at a Sprint service/repair store before my current sales-only store so I managed to learn some tips, being a phone geek also helps.

As Dorelse asked, I do think we'll have to wait until Sprint's official release to see our problems fixed... but as it is now, we're 80% of the way there. We just need MMS to work, get the option to update profile, get the Sprint Apps section in the store to return and hopefully proper voicemail integration! Other than that, I'm happy with 8.1 and it seems to be a solid update.

Funny thing about the VVM app...I actually get notified when I have a new vm in VVM...the little '!' shows up on the live tile...so, even though I can't launch VVM, its still notifying me that I have a new vm.

So...that's at least something I can live with until VVM gets updated.

Honestly, my little 8XT is running smooth as silk on 8.1 so I personally think I'm way better off on 8.1 even with the wifi issue.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, even with the issues had.. 8.1 is a worthy update with tons of new functionality. It runs nicely on the ATIV Neo and I'm glad it does also on the 8XT.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
hi
What code do I enter to manually program my phone? I got my MDN and MSID.

You also need your MSL (master subsidy lock) to program your phone. It is usually sent to you via email if you activated a phone thru sprint.com. I'm not really sure how to get it otherwise since its policy not to give that out to customers.

DevinJRichter

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
OK. Can someone give me a step by step list of things to do for dummies. I came from Verizon where this stuff never happened when I played with my phones. Sprint actually replaced my phone and me being dumb I tried to install the update again and then did another hard reset and realized that's what broke it. 😣 Now I'm here trying to figure out what to do.j

seanselleck

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
My ATIV S NEO was not able to use the Sprint Network. This was the method I used:##72786# and pushed okay twice. My network totally disappeared. I ran "device self service." My phone stayed at the "resetting cell radio" notice for 5 minutes. I restarted my phone without it saying it was done. Then my 4g connection with Sprint worked, although my SIM card does not list Sprint as my network provider (it stays blank). I have full use of my phone again.

Microsoft was hinting at May 31st possibly having a new more complete update. They were also hinting at a April 26th announcement about several issues with the new update.

I love the update, I love it more now that it works. I definitely don't miss the Sprint Start up Screen, the phone starts in 20 seconds.

seanselleck

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I posted separately about fixing the sprint connection for data.

As for the "update network profile," that option can be found by hitting the search button and typing in "update network profile." The search program works like it does on Windows 8.1 for the computers and finds the settings option.

For those who need it, I hope it helps.

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting this thread. I have the HTC 8XT on Sprint and I know now not to hard reset my phone. I love the new features of 8.1, but now I regret not waiting for the official update.

DevinJRichter

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I posted separately about fixing the sprint connection for data.

As for the "update network profile," that option can be found by hitting the search button and typing in "update network profile." The search program works like it does on Windows 8.1 for the computers and finds the settings option.

For those who need it, I hope it helps.

Did not find it for me...

DevinJRichter

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
You are awesome! After losing my data ability, I have been searching for Sprint APNs and everything to no avail. The "device self service" kept saying that the phone was already activated. So it came as easy as this!

press ##72786# and it will kick you to the SCRTN screen. If you press 'ok' twice, your network settings will be wiped (copied from you)
then run "device self service"

Data ability came back.

I know not having MMS is a slight blow for some, but I am sure we can handle not sending group texts and pictures for a few months. Not having data would have been an absolute blow. Thankfully, the phone reset allows all my apps (aside from Visual Voicemail) to work properly. Cortana wasn't working properly and neither were several apps (like Maps). However, due to this thread, you saved me months of a near useless phone.

After resetting

kirkalm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
How I got data to work on my 8XT, items covered/tried while on the phone with Sprint, 1. found that the "Update Network Profile" selection was missing after the hard reset. 2. did ##786# to get into Service Tools, > selected MSL, input password 508214, selected MSL again, selected than inputted the MDN than MSID that Sprint gave me than hit save. Phone will reset. Spent about 30 minutes with Sprint without getting data back. Next called HTC for help, they had me pull the SIM (which rebooted the phone) and after several minutes after power up re-inserted the SIM, phone than rebooted itself, than entered ##UPDATE# on keypad and the phone than reloaded the network profile and data was back. Have kept the WIFI off and the phone has been great, only issue still working is how to get notification for waiting voice mail.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I confirm this isn't an issue specific to Sprint. I am facing this with SIM cards by different brands of Sonera/Elisa carriers both in Russia and Finland networks. After updating my Samsung ATIV S (NOT Neo one) to Windows Phone 8.1, my GPRS and MMS settings went away. The phone no longer automatically detects neither GPRS nor MMS connection settings.
The thing is: It all works fine after updating to 8.1 up until you change your SIM card. When a new card is inserted, settings are reset and cannot be obtained automatically.
To fix GPRS connection issue I had to use Samsung APN app available from Samsung hub in Store or otherwise directly under phone's system settings.
HOWEVER, that did not fix MMS issue. The manually created MMS profile APN does not retain settings! Once you create the APN and specify carrier specific settings, the settings reset to their default empty values!
In other words, I lost ability to send and receive data via MMS service after upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1! I understand this is only a developer preview but this doesn't look a preview issue. Comely losing one of the core protocol functionality is, ehm, at least frustrating it not strange for a software giant like MSFT. How come it could be like that?

mgfootballer

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I did ##72786# and pressed OK once. Reset my phone. Turned WiFi on. Went to Device Self Service and it reactivated itself. I am now able to use data. Havent tried MMS yet.

EDIT: Nope, no MMS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa