WP8.1: List of Transparent Tiles

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Want to see the most of your background? Here are the list of the transparent tiles that we can think of! Hope everyone can pitch in and make a list :)

1a. All default Windows Phone 8.1 apps, except for Xbox Music and Video, Games, Office, OneNote, OneDrive
1b. Bing Translator?
2. WhatsApp
3. Kik Messenger
4. Cortana
5. Data Sense, Storage Sense, Battery Saver
6. Stop The Music
7. MetroTube (somewhat because there's a little transparent box in the middle)
8. Wallpaper HD
9. WPCentral (with the right settings, can someone clarify this?)
10. reddit
11. Facebook Messenger
12. All Rudy Huyn apps(?)
13. Nextgen Reader
14. Flashlight XT
15. SCORCH

Calculator?
Cross Court Tennis 2 ( an excellent Tennis Game on WP )
The Nokia App Folders
FlashLite
Jack of Tools
Facebook Messenger
Facebook ( if you disable the Live Tile refresh )
MPATool
MusicTube
Store Deals
SysApp Pusher
toib
bing translator
uc browser
wikipedia ( rudy huyn / Only if you set Live Tiles to accent color , you can enable this in the app settings ).
The Pinned Facebook Pages / Groups if they don't have a cover picture.

That's it for now. Will tell you if i find more.

Last edited:

AymanWP93

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Calculator?
The Nokia App Folders
FlashLite
Jack of Tools
Facebook Messenger
MPATool
MusicTube
Store Deals
SysApp Pusher
toib
bing translator
uc browser
wikipedia ( rudy huyn / Only if you set Live Tiles to accent color , you can enable this in the app settings ).

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Calculator?
The Nokia App Folders
FlashLite
Jack of Tools
Facebook Messenger
MPATool
MusicTube
Store Deals
SysApp Pusher
toib
bing translator
uc browser

Thank you, I'll add you to the OP!

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
How's the wpcentral tile made transparent?

Direct quote from Daniel R's very thorough review-great tutorial Dan!

"How it works is if an app uses the ‘Iconic design’ for its Live Tile, it will show the image behind it. If the tile uses a ‘Flip layout’, any area of the background that is transparent will show the background image. As a result, some apps will have a ‘see through’ ability with the new background images, while others will remain a solid, preselected color e.g. Facebook. The effect can be seen within our own WPCentral app, where we let the user choose between an Iconic or Flip design for their Live Tile. If the user chooses Iconic and it’s pinned, within a few minutes the Tile will update with the transparent background effect. That may cause some confusion amongst users, at least initially, but I think developers will adjust their apps going forward."

@Laura,

The ss you show above....the new icon------->next to Wifi icon---->is this the 'action center' icon??

Thanks

FFugue

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The WPCentral app icon isn't always transparent for now... I guess they need to update the app. It's transparent until you get a notification, then it becomes opaque for a couple of minutes, then goes back to transparent...

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site

"How it works is if an app uses the ?Iconic design? for its Live Tile, it will show the image behind it. If the tile uses a ?Flip layout?, any area of the background that is transparent will show the background image. As a result, some apps will have a ?see through? ability with the new background images, while others will remain a solid, preselected color e.g. Facebook. The effect can be seen within our own WPCentral app, where we let the user choose between an Iconic or Flip design for their Live Tile. If the user chooses Iconic and it?s pinned, within a few minutes the Tile will update with the transparent background effect. That may cause some confusion amongst users, at least initially, but I think developers will adjust their apps going forward."

@Laura,

The ss you show above....the new icon------->next to Wifi icon---->is this the 'action center' icon??

Thanks

What color for the tile would be best?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

"How it works is if an app uses the ‘Iconic design’ for its Live Tile, it will show the image behind it. If the tile uses a ‘Flip layout’, any area of the background that is transparent will show the background image. As a result, some apps will have a ‘see through’ ability with the new background images, while others will remain a solid, preselected color e.g. Facebook. The effect can be seen within our own WPCentral app, where we let the user choose between an Iconic or Flip design for their Live Tile. If the user chooses Iconic and it’s pinned, within a few minutes the Tile will update with the transparent background effect. That may cause some confusion amongst users, at least initially, but I think developers will adjust their apps going forward
Followed these instructions and it doesn't want to work, but thanks anyway.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

"How it works is if an app uses the ‘Iconic design’ for its Live Tile, it will show the image behind it. If the tile uses a ‘Flip layout’, any area of the background that is transparent will show the background image. As a result, some apps will have a ‘see through’ ability with the new background images, while others will remain a solid, preselected color e.g. Facebook. The effect can be seen within our own WPCentral app, where we let the user choose between an Iconic or Flip design for their Live Tile. If the user chooses Iconic and it’s pinned, within a few minutes the Tile will update with the transparent background effect. That may cause some confusion amongst users, at least initially, but I think developers will adjust their apps going forward."

@Laura,

Thanks

doesn't work

kukuxumusu

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
WPCENTRAL has no transparent tiles too or only mine? I've seen Daniel showing 8.1 with transparent tiles on wpcetral. I paid on the app btw!

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
There's a bunch on mine that works, don't have time to double check if ppl posted already so here they are:
Music Wall
UC Browser
Nokia Car App
Blue Skies
6snap (change the tile to match system tile)
Listen
Fast4sq (great quick checkin app for Foursquare)
effectual
Today's Word
Tweet It!
WeChat
App Social
App Folder
Newser
Package Tracker
(Bing)Translator
Hot Music
MetroMail

Members online