lumia 1020 wp 8.1 - cropping uses 5 megapixel image instead of high res image

Mike Lyne

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I noticed a massive drop in quality when cropping pics in the camera roll after snapping a pic with the Nokia Camera app. WP 8.1 appears to not be referencing the high res picture at all. The pureview functions seem to have been separated or removed/not updated from within the Nokia camera app. Just try taking a picture of anything with text and and do a super close crop. You'll wind up with a pixelated mess, just like you would with the standard ms camera app. There's definitely no oversampling happening there. I have pics of this on my phone, I just cant upload them at the moment. Has anyone else experienced this so far?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
That's probably because Nokia has not yet updated their camera app for wp8.1; it might also have something to do with the firmware update needed from Nokia to enable all features in wp8.1.

Mike Lyne

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
That's probably because Nokia has not yet updated their camera app for wp8.1; it might also have something to do with the firmware update needed from Nokia to enable all features in wp8.1.

This seems most likely to me - I d definitely hope that's the case! As it stands, I won't be cropping images for the foreseeable future...
G15e9CC.jpg
That one is a crop from the standard MS camera app

Here's a crop from a pic taken in the Nokia camera app:
nfdqtvh.jpg

And here's a screenshot of a reframe from the full res image:
RZgIqsi.jpg

I bring it up because it's worth taking that into consideration when upgrading to WP 8.1 early.

Mike Lyne

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Those aren't crops from the 5mpx photos - that's you using the reframe option on the high resolution shots. Reframing works fine for me. I'm talking about specifically editing the 5mpx image and selecting the crop option. Previously you'd still wind up with a relatively smooth image. Now, it's a mess (as shown in my post). You don't even really need to crop to see the quality loss - a simple zoom shows a loss of quality. I'd be interested to see how much of a difference there will be post firmware update from Nokia. This feels like using the camera in every other smartphone as it stands!

Mike Lyne

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Those aren't crops those are reframes of the high res photos. Totally different. My reframe option works fine, it's cropping the 5 mpx photos that sucks. It'll be interesting to see if we get the old quality levels back post firmware update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss