Battery life with WP 8.1

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
i dont know if this is my battery problem or some problem with my hardware or OS.
i was having around 88% battery and i was watching a video on youtube and the phone restarted itself and bamm my battery was only 10% left so i connect the charger but i noticed it wasn't getting charge so i did a soft reset and battery was shown 80%. can anyone help me with this is this a battery problem,hardware or OS i am having a lumia 520

LeopardSurd

May 30, 2014
Visit site
i dont know if this is my battery problem or some problem with my hardware or OS.
It's a common problem for everybody. When the phone is idle, everything should be allright. But when the user starts to use the phone...then the battery is f**ed.

My 8X can have quite a long time span in idle >20h but when is intensively used I barely reach 8 h of usage.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It's a common problem for everybody. When the phone is idle, everything should be allright. But when the user starts to use the phone...then the battery is f**ed.

My 8X can have quite a long time span in idle >20h but when is intensively used I barely reach 8 h of usage.

i was watching video for hardly few mins in IE(battery was around 88%) and the screen was shuttering after that it auto restart and the battery was 10% only and it wasn't getting charge so i soft reset my device and battery was 80% i meant how is this possible that in few mins the battery was that much charged.

LeopardSurd

May 30, 2014
Visit site
i was watching video for hardly few mins in IE(battery was around 88%) and the screen was shuttering after that it auto restart and the battery was 10% only and it wasn't getting charge so i soft reset my device and battery was 80% i meant how is this possible that in few mins the battery was that much charged.
Yea, I know it. It happens to me too. Somehow the preview cannot show the correct battery level. Perhaps WP8.1 still needs to be patched.

Arnar Kristjansson

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
i was having around 88% battery and i was watching a video on youtube and the phone restarted itself and bamm my battery was only 10% left so i connect the charger but i noticed it wasn't getting charge so i did a soft reset and battery was shown 80%. can anyone help me with this is this a battery problem,hardware or OS i am having a lumia 520

This seems to be really common with 8.1 that the phone shows wrong battery % . It happens to me all the time now . I don't even pay attention to it anymore even it's annoying. But whenever you battery is about to run out just let it run out. When you restart the phone it will probably still show 50% battery left. Hope this issue will be adressed with cyan uppdate

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it hard to know whether or not the battery % that's being displayed is right or wrong?

Count me in the list of Lumia (925) users that have experienced poor (and, in a few cases, very odd) battery life with WP8.1 Dv Preview. And, yes, I'm on the latest update.

As much as I'd like new, included Battery Saver app to be useful and help track down battery-sucking apps, it's not looking very promising. What Battery Saver shows me doesn't make sense and isn't very useful right now.

Does anyone know if running a 3rd party battery monitoring app ("Battery") and also Battery Saver could cause any battery performance or battery monitoring weirdness?

Last Question: Do we know FOR SURE that Cyan will include additional battery optimizations?

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I am running 8.10.12393.890 on an AT&T branded 920 and lately it seems the phone app is killing my battery. When I go to Settings > Battery Saver > Usage the Phone is at the top and the usage bar is across the screen. I have never seen this before and only make or receive a few calls a day. I have another app that tracks battery usage and every now and then it shows the battery draining at 15% or so when I know I wasn't using the phone. I have also noticed my phone being pretty warm when I pick it up and it should have no activity.

I have seen a few other posts like this on the last few pages in this forum and wonder if anyone has any idea on what is happening? Seems like some new bug is making the phone app burn through the battery when it should be idle.

Edit: Adding screenshot to show battery usage

View attachment 68941

Yes, just started seeing this recently, and I do not make many calls.

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
My first day on WP 8.1 drained the battery of my Lumina 520 in one day. But after recharging the phone I could easily use it for 6 days+ outpacing my iphone 4.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Isn't it hard to know whether or not the battery % that's being displayed is right or wrong?

Count me in the list of Lumia (925) users that have experienced poor (and, in a few cases, very odd) battery life with WP8.1 Dv Preview. And, yes, I'm on the latest update.

As much as I'd like new, included Battery Saver app to be useful and help track down battery-sucking apps, it's not looking very promising. What Battery Saver shows me doesn't make sense and isn't very useful right now.

Does anyone know if running a 3rd party battery monitoring app ("Battery") and also Battery Saver could cause any battery performance or battery monitoring weirdness?

Last Question: Do we know FOR SURE that Cyan will include additional battery optimizations?

Did you hard reset your phone?

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Did you hard reset your phone?
No I haven't. I see people suggest doing that, and I see some people having some success with that. Here's my question: is this a documented solution from Microsoft or Nokia? I just don't quite understand what a hard reset can do to improve battery life - is there an explanation of this somewhere?

Lastly, is there comprehensive documentation for the steps to doing a hard reset? What data can be lost? Is it a very fast easy process to back everything up, reset, and then restore everything? Will a hard reset take the phone back to 8.0 or will I be on 8.1?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
No I haven't. I see people suggest doing that, and I see some people having some success with that. Here's my question: is this a documented solution from Microsoft or Nokia? I just don't quite understand what a hard reset can do to improve battery life - is there an explanation of this somewhere?

Lastly, is there comprehensive documentation for the steps to doing a hard reset? What data can be lost? Is it a very fast easy process to back everything up, reset, and then restore everything? Will a hard reset take the phone back to 8.0 or will I be on 8.1?

Other than it helping to solve a lot of peoples problems there is no documented proof that it is the right thing to do. I installed 8.1 on all the phones I have and had no problems except for Cortana but that was down to Cortana being beta and I believe the problem it caused where it would cause the phone to hang and show resuming across the screen when you tried to turn the phone on along with heating and severe battery usage. Unpinning Cortina's live tile sort the problem.

Battery life improved on all my phones but I was curious as to whether or not a hard reset and no restore was the reason I had no problems with 8.1 so on one of my 925s I went back to 8.0 with Nokia Software Updater and restored my setting from a backup I made while on 8.0 and then installed 8.1 again and I had loads of trouble with really bad battery, restarting, non-responsive screen and heating so I hard reset the phone and restored from a backup I made just before the reset and although the problems were less they were anything but gone, I still had bad battery and the phone was freezing quite a bit.

Then I hard reset again and didn't restore so set the phone as new again as I did with all my phones the first day 8.1 was released and as before no problems at all.

To do a hard reset you just need to go to setting and then down to about phone and in there you will see reset. You will loose everything on the phone but obviously your contacts are okay as they are set by your Microsoft id. You will not lose 8.1 and you will need to update all your system apps to get everything like glance and touch to work right, I used the app called "Lumia System Updater"

Hope this helps.

Will

artzznyzz

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
HELLO MICROSOFT / NOKIA RE: DISASTORAUS Battery life with WP 8.1

I've had NL 920 since it first came out, and have all updates, including DP 8.1 & the 3 DP updates (most recently 8-10-12397-895 from ~9 AM Thur, 6/12).

On WP 8.0 my battery life was very poor, but marginally acceptable. (2-4 % drain per hour with no use, BUT peaking at 15-25%/ hour, or worse and very hot with use, esp. with maps only on highway.

On 8.1 DP which I highly value, battery life has gone to a total disaster. (Drainage without use may be 0-1-2%, but with any usage, my drainage is commonly 20-40+ %/hr, esp. with maps when driving.) This is with no background apps, & little or no phone usage, no wifi, even no cellular data. Then, after the NL 920 shuts down with dead battery it will not begin to charge until cooled, 20 minutes minimum.

8.1 DP has almost turned my NL 920 into a single purpose brick. (Yes, up to now I have kept it on 8.1 for a couple features I need*, But this is becoming untenable.)

* Best WP & DP 8.1 features: - Tight integration with MS Outlook as running on MS Office 365 Exchange with other pop mail accounts, - Quiet hours, - Notifications.
BUT - Cortana is just a toy, & constantly popping up with social chit chat interruptions - Not appropriate for a business tool.

I've constantly given response to Nokia from the phone, run & reported diagnostics, & left lots of comments on these forums, but all with NO SPECIFIC RESPONSE FROM NOKIA OR MICROSOFT.

Yes, I have done many soft resets, several full wipe factory resets (both with restoration from backups, and also without any restorations, instead reinstalling everything from scratch.) I have also reset phone to WP 8.0, and then repeated upgrade to WP8.1, & subsequent updates. Nothing helps my situation.

Does anyone have any direct response from Microsoft or Nokia specifically regarding battery life on the Nokia Lumia 920? Do they care?

artzznyzz@optonline.net

David T-Rex

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I saw a suggestion on a comment to turn off battery saver.. It seems to have made a massive difference to my battery life. It might be a placibo but I got a lot longer from a full charge without a change in usage.

KRayn3r

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I also have a 920 and my battery life with 8.1 has suffered quite a bit. I generally charge my phone in the evenings when I get home and then take it off charge once it is done (i.e. I do not leave it on the charging pad all night). Before the 8.1 update I was getting an estimated of 1.5 Days after a charge. Now I get just over a day (so once charged, loading a battery app will give you an estimate on how long the charge will last). I also noticed that with no use overnight my phone would discharge rather quickly. I used to only lose about 10% over 8 hours, now when I wake up my phone has lost around 20-30%.

After messing around a bit I decided to try and disable LTE (i.e. using 2G only) and wow what a difference. I am now getting an estimated 2+ days directly after a charge and the phone has lost less than 5% overnight. I think perhaps the 8.1 update isn't working well with the cellular radio and is perhaps using more power than needed to transmit or keep in contact with the network. Hopefully the official 8.1 update (which includes firmware from Nokia + the carrier) will solve this issue.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020
I keep Cortana off
I keep on the BG the next apps: Migram, Facebook, WhatsApp, Battery, Store, Calendar, LinkedIn, Twitter, Onedrive. There are others that are allowed but that I did not list because I know they work only when I start them (metrotube for example)

My specific case: I have not noticed a dramatic change. I think the battery life is the same as before the 8.1PFD Around 15 hours. Sometimes, deppending on the usage, I get less (rarelly more) but on the 3 days that the phone has been working with the updated OS, I've seen a steady battery life. I kinda hoped for 2 or so extra hours but, on the other hand, I didn't get a crappy battery life... so I am good.

I'll check what can I do to improve battery life but I don't think I'll get much. WhatsApp is the most consuming app I have and the only way to reduce its consumption is by checking it only at certain hours and not every time I get a new message.

bsushmith

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I use a Lumia 720 with wp8.1 developer preview on it. My battery gets drained too fast(way too fast compared to WP 8). I tried to set it right to get me at least a couple hrs more. I switched off background wallpaper, turned off Cortana, used a dark theme, denied permissions to basically every app to run in the background, live tiles off, I switched off any cellular data, WiFi, etc. and much more. Even though I tried all these three battery life didn't improve any bit. It gets me a maximum of like 10 hrs maybe without doing any thing much. I know I need to wait for the cyan firmware update. But is there anything I can try in the mean time?🔧

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I use a Lumia 720 with wp8.1 developer preview on it. My battery gets drained too fast(way too fast compared to WP 8). I tried to set it right to get me at least a couple hrs more. I switched off background wallpaper, turned off Cortana, used a dark theme, denied permissions to basically every app to run in the background, live tiles off, I switched off any cellular data, WiFi, etc. and much more. Even though I tried all these three battery life didn't improve any bit. It gets me a maximum of like 10 hrs maybe without doing any thing much. I know I need to wait for the cyan firmware update. But is there anything I can try in the mean time?🔧

Backup you're device and perform a hare reset.

kklkn

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 820, and I noticed quite some battery drainage since I updated, usally the phone lasted me from 7am till midnight, and since I updated, it lasts barely until 6pm, and as mentionned by someone in this thread, the battery is extremely impacted by GPS navigation apps, the phone becomes very hot and lose like 1% per minute or more.

BUT, I dont care because I have a 820, so I switch to my second battery :)
Haters gonna hate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett