Is there any way to flash the previous firmware onto my Lumia 1520?
    For me, 8.1 seems very much a battery chewing, store disabled, work-in-progress!
    XDA has instruction on how to flash Nokia firmware back onto a phone and I was wondering if anyone's done it yet.
    No flames please, it's just not right for me right now, as I have only one phone and it's suffering multiple debilitating issues that are making things hard to work with.

And yes I know it's a developer preview.. :)
    04-15-2014 05:35 AM
    04-15-2014 05:39 AM
    Thanks but I read somewhere that it only restores the existing installed OS. It seems to say that what I can restore has the same software version as what's already on the phone. Is this the case?
    04-16-2014 05:59 AM
    From what I read, there is no going back once u download the latest OS version.
    04-16-2014 06:02 AM
    The Nokia Software Recovery Tool downloads a fresh copy of the latest version provided by Nokia and flashes the phone with that. And since the latest that Nokia provides is GDR3/Lumia Black, you should be back there after that instead of 8.1.
    N_LaRUE and HomeyJay like this.
    04-16-2014 07:09 AM
    The Nokia Software Recovery Tool downloads a fresh copy of the latest version provided by Nokia and flashes the phone with that. And since the latest that Nokia provides is GDR3/Lumia Black, you should be back there after that instead of 8.1.

Thank you, that's exactly what I need to do!
    04-16-2014 07:13 AM
    I don't want to sound harsh, but you really should have read the terms before enrolling in the developer program. It clearly states "Once you've taken an early update, you cannot revert to a prior state."

Have you tried doing a hard reset? It won't revert you back to 8.0, but it could clear up some of your issues, such as the store not working. Also, if you haven't already, try this:

1. Open Battery Sense
    2. Swipe over to "Usage" (if it isn't already there)
    3. Scroll to the very bottom and tap "show all apps"
    4. Go through all of your apps and look for the ones that say "allowed." If you don't want them to run in the background, you can disable them from here by tapping on the app name and then toggling off "Allow app to run in the background."

Following the above steps helped my battery out quite a bit. There were a lot of apps running in the background that didn't to be. You also may need to give it a few days for the system to start reading the battery levels properly. I think this is pretty typical after an update, but there are a lot of people here that know a lot more about battery stuff than me, so hopefully someone else can weigh in.

Sorry that your experience has sucked so far. I hope that some of this helps!
    jonathanrn likes this.
    04-16-2014 07:20 AM
    Are you sure that the Software Recovery Tool can rollback OS updates? I thought it was just firmware.
    04-16-2014 07:21 AM
    If you can get a copy of Nokia Care Suite and the appropriate ROM (either through Navifirm plus or somewhere else) you should be able to flash back to 8.0. There are guides in the forums and on XDA
    04-16-2014 07:26 AM
    Are you sure that the Software Recovery Tool can rollback OS updates? I thought it was just firmware.
    The "firmware update" installed by the recovery tool contains the entire operating system. Lumia Black comes with WP 8.0 GDR3, and that's what the recovery tool will install, at least until Lumia Cyan is out, which will come with WP 8.1.
    Last edited by acewing905; 04-16-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Changed terminology to be more accurate
    TheJoester09 likes this.
    04-16-2014 07:37 AM
    Thanks guys for all the help. Now back to WP8 and happy to be stable again and have a phone that I can use 100%.
    I'll update when Cyan comes out but for now, no more 8.1 for me.
    Curiously, my wife's L920 is great on 8.1 and not suffering any of the problems that I've had..

"Once you've taken an early update, you cannot revert to a prior state." - Just some BS really, isn't it!!
    Reinstalling the DP took 10 mins after download.
    04-16-2014 07:58 AM
    Thanks guys for all the help. Now back to WP8 and happy to be stable again and have a phone that I can use 100%.
    Curiously, my wife's L920 is great on 8.1 and not suffering any of the problems that I've had..

"Once you've taken an early update, you cannot revert to a prior state." - Just some BS really, isn't it!!
    I guess they should add "unless you have a Nokia" to that statement, eh? :p

Glad you got it sorted out!
    04-16-2014 08:02 AM
    LOL, yeah, guess you're right!
    04-16-2014 08:19 AM

Good to hear you got your phone back to a usable state again. I guess some of us got luckier with 8.1. My Lumia 525 has some issues as well, but they're somewhat minor irritations, and for the time being, the phone is at least usable.

As for the "you cannot revert to a prior state" message, that's technically correct, since that is a generic warning message meant for all devices, not just Nokia phones, and there is no universal method of going back. The Software Recovery Tool is something Nokia provides on their own.
    TheJoester09 likes this.
    04-16-2014 08:32 AM