Battery drain on 928 with 8.1?

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been using 8.1 since yesterday and battery life has worsened dramatically. I have wifi off, bluetooth off, and low screen brightness. Yesterday I played with cortana and the new features so I considered it normal, but today I've only texted a few times and checked email. Anyone else experiencing terrible battery life after the update?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I use mine pretty extensively and have been hammering it hard all day. So far, after 5hr 37min since last charge, I am down to 54%.

I do track my battery usage and was working on comparing the discharge rate on Friday vs. today. Granted, I am figuring my discharge rate will be more right now since I'm still playing with it a lot.

I wouldn't say it's "terrible", as that's a totally subjective assessment.

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Just in these past 10 min, battery dropped 7%. Going to let it drain completely and see if that helps. I am using wireless charging, wondering if that's a factor.

mrwinphan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine is doing the same too. I have a Lumia 928 and it's dropping at about 1% every 1-3 minutes giving me a battery life of a couple hours. I raised a question in the MS Dev forum.

One other thing that I notice is that it runs pretty hot when its sleeping. I have turned of WifiSense, Cortana (background), Glance screen (just in case it was related) and I still have that same issue. Let me know what you find.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
While mine's not doing THAT bad, it's clearly worse than it was with 8. I could normally go a full day without sweating it at all, with light to medium usage: I make a few calls in the morning, listen to some tunes on the way in to work, maybe send a few texts, and then the ride home has a few more calls and a few more tunes. By the time I would plug it in, I'd be down to about 40% or maybe, on a bad day, 30%.

Today, same usage, I'm down to 55% right now (at 3:40pm). I've turned off as many bg processes as I could find, including Cortana's background processes (I have a feeling she's the culprit, but I'm not sure. Oh wait, I can check.

Hm. Insider says that my usage went down DRAMATICALLY after I turned 'her' off. Until then, every reporting period was -5% or -6%. Right now, I'm at -1%. The reporting period appears to be 20 minutes.

I wouldn't take this as the final answer, but it sure seems... suspicious.

Anyone else turn off the BG Cortana stuff to test?

I really hope MS is going to patch this. I don't want to have to worry about always looking for a place to charge. ;)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I went from 8am to 5% at 3:45pm today. Not near as good as Friday when I went from 8am to about 9% at 1am the next day. Looks though, that I might have charged it for about an hour late in the afternoon so Friday may not be a good comparison.
Looks like last Wed, I went from 6am to about 5% by 3:30pm that same day. So about 2 hours more battery use than today. Like I said though, I've been hammering it hard since Monday.

I expect it to normalize soon. Plus, I can charge all day long if I want at my office so I'm not too concerned about battery at work.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think Cortana plays a big part in battery drain. Yesterday I was draining 1% battery about every 20-30 minutes and had to recharge my phone for the first time in my office before the work day was over. I was hitting below 40% by 1:30pm and I had plans after work.
​Last night I turned off Cortana's background task to see if that makes any difference.

Today, I take my phone off the charger and 2 hours later, I am at 99% battery still. Definitely a huge improvement from yesterday.

mrwinphan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So it wasn't Cortana for me but I was able to find the culprit. I sync 2 email accounts (the MS account and an Exchange account). Well the Exchange account was set to download new content "based on my usage." I changed that back to as items arrive (or really anything else) and my battery life came back to normal. No more overheating, no more 4 hr battery life. In fact, I took my phone off the charger at 3 am (my baby woke up at that time), and by y it was still at 99%. Hope this helps somebody out there.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Came back to report that keeping Cortana's bg process off really didn't help that much. By the time I got home, I had to charge. That's a good five or six hours short of what I used to get... maybe even more.

Trying mrwinphan's idea now... will report back...

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So far, I've been off the charger for 6 hours and now at 85%. It seems pretty close to what I normally got when I was on WP8. BTW, I changed my email settings for my 3 gmail accounts to sync every 2 hours and my microsoft account to sync every 30 mins yesterday. Maybe the combination of changing my email settings and disabling Cortana's bg process helped me?

koolyoyo6

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I would think that because the firmware for Nokia phone haven't been updated to handle 8.1 yet you should get shorter battery life. once Nokia decides to update firmware you should get much better results. thats just my opinion, but it makes sense to me

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So it wasn't Cortana for me but I was able to find the culprit. I sync 2 email accounts (the MS account and an Exchange account). Well the Exchange account was set to download new content "based on my usage." I changed that back to as items arrive (or really anything else) and my battery life came back to normal. No more overheating, no more 4 hr battery life. In fact, I took my phone off the charger at 3 am (my baby woke up at that time), and by y it was still at 99%. Hope this helps somebody out there.

What's the difference between usage and as they as they arrive? I noticed with the update it changed mines to usage so I changed mines to check once per hour to see if that changes anything

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

mrwinphan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
What's the difference between usage and as they as they arrive? I noticed with the update it changed mines to usage so I changed mines to check once per hour to see if that changes anything
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

So the usage mode actually starts with a very frequent update rate, then it analyzes 1) how often you get email and 2)how quickly you raect to the fact that you have email and it determines an "appropriate" amount of time to check your email for you. However I think that it was checking my email every 1 minute or so because phone would heat up terribly and battery would drain super quickly while sleeping. As soon as I changed that to hourly battery life went back to normal, even with all my background processes and Cortana enabled.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Facebook seemed to be draining the battery massively for me, took it off, I can live without it. Overall though, it does seem that the battery life is not as good as it was previously.

Forgot to say, I have a 925.

JRBLAS17

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same thing on my 1520. I keep the battery saver always on, I set my screen to medium, and I disable Wi-Fi and data when they're not in use. I could last 2 days regularly, but since this last update my phone constantly drains. My phone has been off the charger for 8 hours, I haven't touched it, and I'm down to 23%. Plus the battery settings still say that it's been 1 hour since my last charge. Wtf

Last edited:

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I never cared about battery life on my 928 (8.1 w/ 2nd update) because I use alot, so not complaining, it still lasts long though. But today I noticed that it dropped from 100 to 70s in about 1 hour (1-). I was using MS PDF reader app, not heavily (every 2-5min for about one minute) I had WIFI and DATA On (they are On 24/7) but I still think from 100-70 per hour its way too fast. Battery Pro+ showed hourly consumption 6%

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
That's the kind of life I'm seeing with my 928 as well. If I don't use the thing, it can seemingly last forever. But once the screen is on and I'm doing anything with it, bye-bye battery. Even just taking a quick peak at weather or RSS... I know I'll take my battery down about 2%. It's just crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720