Wifi auto turn on and off near favorite places...?

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Another update. My WiFi didn't turn on when I got home. Upon looking at where my phone was saying I was, compared to where my favorite was set. It showed that I was about 50 to 100 yards away from my house... I was standing IN my house. So for me it's a combination of the phone not reading the GPS data accurately enough and mapping errors here in Hawaii.

Anybody know how far from a favorite place you need to be for WiFi to turn back on?
i think therer is no buffer zone at all ...i was 50 meters away and it should me directions back home when i was IN home so yeah no buffer zone .hope the final build provides a buffer so it makes up gor the gps issues

levalencia

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, is there any recent update on this? does it already auto turn off?

Also silly question, what is the best place to report bugs to Microsoft regrading the windows phone? Do you maybe know if Microsoft guys take a look at these forums for feedback?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
i think therer is no buffer zone at all ...i was 50 meters away and it should me directions back home when i was IN home so yeah no buffer zone .hope the final build provides a buffer so it makes up gor the gps issues

Update: I posted in another thread some results. Evidently, as it currently is configured. Wi-Fi won't turn on automatically unless the favorite is set as "home" or "work." Since you can have only one favorite assigned as home and one favorite assigned as work, this is very limiting. Back to my previous experiments. I set that Starbucks as work and when I got close, about 50 feet from the store, my Wi-Fi turned on and connected to that hotspot.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Update: I posted in another thread some results. Evidently, as it currently is configured. Wi-Fi won't turn on automatically unless the favorite is set as "home" or "work." Since you can have only one favorite assigned as home and one favorite assigned as work, this is very limiting. Back to my previous experiments. I set that Starbucks as work and when I got close, about 50 feet from the store, my Wi-Fi turned on and connected to that hotspot.

Mine doesn't work that way. As long as the place is marked as favourite it turns on. I've been using this feature since dev release and I've no problems.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine doesn't work that way. As long as the place is marked as favourite it turns on. I've been using this feature since dev release and I've no problems.

What kind of phone do you have? I have an Icon, you're not the first person I've talked to that WP8.1 is slightly different when it comes to a feature. I can try it again tomorrow to see if it turns on when I'm near a favorite marked as "other."

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
What kind of phone do you have? I have an Icon, you're not the first person I've talked to that WP8.1 is slightly different when it comes to a feature. I can try it again tomorrow to see if it turns on when I'm near a favorite marked as "other."

I've got a solid 920. In my favourites I also have 3 places listed as others, they work just fine.

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have favorites added, and Cortana as well. Cannot get the wi-fi to come on by itself. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Tried it again and it still didn't turn on when I got to a favorite place marked as other. For me it only turns back on if the favorite is marked as either work or home.

What kind of phone do you have? I have a Lumia Icon running on Verizon.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Question for you omgitsnick, and everybody else who has it working with favorites marked as "other." Do you live inside or outside the US? I'm asking because some people are having no issues, and others, like me it only works a certain way. I'm wondering if it is regional? What would happen if I turned off Cortana? Which I don't want to do.

mywpong

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
For those folks who had got this feature to work, can you post the exact steps to get it to work? I have set home and work as two of my favorite places in Maps. Neither works for me. I have a 635.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
For those folks who had got this feature to work, can you post the exact steps to get it to work? I have set home and work as two of my favorite places in Maps. Neither works for me. I have a 635.

I finally got it to work by making sure cellular data was turned on.

wolfin2000

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I've connected to my home before (duh) but the Wi-Fi does not auto-turn-on. I would like that to work. I don't have the phone set to use data over cellular; Only use Wi-Fi. I've tried turning-on data over cellular to see if that was the problem, but it does not work that way either.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I had problems connecting to my home network ever since i bought a new phone (Lumia 830).
Took me a couple of day's to get really annoyed with it lol

After fiddling around with the settings i found a solution that work's for me (auto login to favorite WiFi's, hot-spot's or friends networks).

So what i did (and i have to do this everywhere i frequently visit), is to uncheck the "Connect Automatically" of the other connectable hot-spots i didn't want to connect to. Then check the one that i do want to connect to :smile:

Now whenever i get near one of my favorite places it will ignore the others and auto connect to the one i prefer.
if the preferred Wifi for some reason don't connect me, then i have to manually connect to the others though...

Ok here we go with a couple of screens to visually help me explain myself.
the first 2 of them are Hot-spot's in my street, the last one is my home network.

wifi1.jpg wifi2.jpg wifi3.jpg

Hope this was helpful for anyone out there.
Have a nice day ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb